IGNORED

Shoei RF-1100 Review

markgoodrich

markgoodrich

I just replaced my 5-year-old Shoei X-11 with a new Shoei RF-1100. The X-11 was for years the Shoei top of the line helmet. I had recently replaced all the interior pads in the X-11, which helped with wind noise and renewed the good fit.

MY X-11 was always quite noisy, and hot. Top of the line or not, it was, for me, less than ideal for touring and occasional spurts of sporting behavior. I wear custom earmolds, and still it was noisy.

The RF-1100, successor to the RF-1000, is, in a nutshell, miles better. Venting is vastly better than the X-11, not only flowing much more air through the interior, but doing it more quietly. Sound isolation is also much better. With my earphones in place, volume of music off, I am cocooned in a quiet zone, no matter where I put my windshield. Raising the face shield a bit allows cooling air in without the X-11's roar. However, the new helmet's ratcheting mechanism is not as stiff, and the shield will blow closed. I'll have to get used to using the little lock lever on the left side...no big deal, it's easy to use while wearing gloves.

I'm extremely happy with the new helmet.

• 2 weeks later...
markgoodrich

Update: I dunno if my visor is the norm, but if it is, the new self-adjusting feature is what allows the visor to "blow" closed, unlike my old X-11, which allowed me to crack the visor up to any position I liked. Shoei tech guy says there's not much I can do about it. Any attempt to adjust the "tightness" of the ratchet will defeat the self-adjusting feature...which is what makes the helmet so quiet. So, I have to temper my enthusiasm for the new helmet, and say that it's going to be hotter than the X-11. Not a good thing this time of year in Texas. If I find a way to resolve this, I'll update here.

Did you check out the new X-12 in addition to the RF-1100? (Since you were replacing an X-11, it seems "logical" to go with the X-12 instead of the RF-1100).

I have an X-11 which, age-wise, is due for replacement. What prompted you to go with the RF-1100 instead of the X-12?

Web Bike World Review of RF-1100

You say it's quiet, they say it whistles and screams. You say the face shield detents don't allow it to used "just cracked," they say it's fantastic with firm detents... and they typically do criticize helmets with face shields that won't just open a crack.

I'm confused (though I think I believe you)!

Seems a bit heavy (103 of 139 in Web Bike World's table of weights), and quite pricey in any event.

markgoodrich

I went with the RF instead of the X-12 based on reviews of the X-12; sounded to me like the RF was quieter, cooler, better fitting. The fit of mine is perfect for my head.

markgoodrich

You say it's quiet, they say it whistles and screams. You say the face shield detents don't allow it to used "just cracked," they say it's fantastic with firm detents... and they typically do criticize helmets with face shields that won't just open a crack.

Seems a bit heavy (103 of 139 in Web Bike World's table of weights), and quite pricey in any event.

Jan, sounds to me like their helmet visor was adjusted too tightly (or too loosely) thus negating the auto-adjust feature. That's exactly what the Shoei tech guy told me might happen if I got too tight on the detent...more noise.

SWMcKinley has the helmet, too; I see him fairly regularly, and will compare his visor settings to mine. Maybe I can tighten just enough to hold the visor, not so much as to create noise.

Thanks.

As it happens we tried them on this morning and both found the fit and comfort to be good. First Shoei I could wear without my chin hitting the chinbar, although it was still a bit close.

Will look for your next update.

markgoodrich

STOP THE PRESSES! Once again, I should've just examined closely instead of relying on email interaction with a tech. It appears the "lock" tab on the left side of the helmet has not two, but three positions. One is neutral; one, per the tech guy and per my observation, cracks just the left half of the visor a tiny bit, enough to keep the shield clear; the third, all the way up, appears to lock the visor in any position I choose.

I've a long ride planned for tomorrow. I'll report in, assuming I don't melt in the heat.

markgoodrich
Have you noticed any difference in sizing between the X-11 and your new RF-1100?

Both XL sizes fit me fine,the new cheek pads in the RF are tighter at the jawline, but it's not a bother, and no doubt contributes to the quieter environment.

For what it's worth, I spent half an hour at an Arai booth at the Miller WSBK races, with a very knowledgeable couple of salespeople who tried every helmet, every permutation of pads, and there was always pressure somewhere, usually at the back of the helmet. Saved me a bundle.

markgoodrich

Okay, here's my bottom line, in typical fashion, arrived at circuitously and with some errors...which might, maybe, have been at least ameliorated had I bothered to RTFM (although the FM is inscrutably translated in the "all your base are belong to us" vein).

The lever on the left side, known as the "preset opening lever" has not two, but three positions. This key information was missing in my previous posts. I thought there were two: neutral and locked, but there is a third.

So:

All the way down: left side (only) of the shield cracks open a tiny bit to allow defogging without pesky freezing air entering one's nostrils.

One click up is "standard" position, which means you can move the shield up and down all you like, but at highway speeds it will not stay put, other than closed.

Two clicks up from bottom is "shield lock". Now, in design, this is to lock the shield closed, which I suppose it does. However, it also acts to secure the shield in a partially opened position, allowing fresh air to enter the helmet and cool one's nostrils. This then functions just like my previous X-11, with the exception of flicking the lever up. I found I could move the shield up and down with the lever all the way up, but to close it I needed to move it to neutral. In 97 degree temps, there was not a moment requiring a closed shield.

So, now that the visor works just fine, I'll reiterate the quietness of the helmet, the good fit for my long head, and will add that the vents in the top work so much better than the X-11 vents it's as if the new helmet is air conditioned. A giant step forward for hot-weather full-face helmets. At least for me.

Regarding the quietness I mentioned, I should say that I use custom earphones. Wearing them with the X-11 there was always lots of background wind noise. With the RF-1100 I have to be more visually vigilant, as I hear nothing but the music.

Did I mention I really like this new helmet? If you get one, and it's not a happy thing for you, please, don't come crying to me.

barryNmarin

Thanks for the review(s) Mark as I'm over due to replace my 6 year old RF1000. I'll be looking at the 1100 for sure as I like the way the Shoei fits my noggin.

Sadly, I won't be able to make the 20 minute ride down to Moto Marin now that BMW back-stabbed Cary and closed him down. Nor sure where I'll take my business now. Anyway, thanks for your efforts.

Jan, sounds to me like their helmet visor was adjusted too tightly (or too loosely) thus negating the auto-adjust feature. That's exactly what the Shoei tech guy told me might happen if I got too tight on the detent...more noise.

SWMcKinley has the helmet, too; I see him fairly regularly, and will compare his visor settings to mine. Maybe I can tighten just enough to hold the visor, not so much as to create noise.

Mark, what do you have for a bike and is it the stock windshield? That could be the difference between Web Bike World review and yours. They rated the Arai Profile quiet, but not mine on a stock windshield '07 RT.

Thanks for the review !

markgoodrich

Right now I've got the stock shield on my RT. I am only comparing the new helmet to my X-11...on the same bike. The X-11 had become unbearably noisy. I replaced the inner pads, and that helped a lot. But the RF-1100 is much quieter...a really good thing here in Texas this summer, as I can run the shield lower without worrying about damaging my hearing, and stay cooler (I have a pretty severe hearing deficit in one ear, am a little paranoid).

mistercindy

Thank you very much for this thread, as I am in a very similar position as you:

- My X-11 will be five years old next March.

- I replaced my cheek pads a year ago and the change was incredible.

- I live in Dallas which is hot as Austin.

- I ride a fairly wind protected ride; a 12GS with an Aeroflow.

- I have already decided that the replacement will be the RF1100, as it's the first RF where the liner can be removed and washed.

I'm pleased to hear you can keep the windscreen cracked. That's the major reason that I won't even try an Arai. From June through August my windscreen is rarely all the way down. My biggest worry with the new RF1100 (and the new X-12) is that over time that spring mechanism for the windscreen might fail. What are your thoughts about that?

Thanks again! :thumbsup:

markgoodrich

I dunno about spring failure, sorry. Remember, the review is just my impression. You should try the helmet on, watch or read some reviews. Helmet Harbor has video reviews, and I think Competition Accessories does, too.

CoarsegoldKid

Thanks for the in-depth review of the Shoei RX1100. Our Arai's are the next thing to be replaced. Shoei may win the toss.

mistercindy
I dunno about spring failure, sorry. Remember, the review is just my impression. You should try the helmet on, watch or read some reviews. Helmet Harbor has video reviews, and I think Competition Accessories does, too.

I read the WebBikeWorld review and watched the Helmet Harbor video. I also went to my local dealership, where I plan to buy the helmet, to try on both the RF1100 and the X-12. The XL in both fit like a charm. Just like the XL in my current X-11, and the XL's in my former Shoei lids: RF1000, RF800, and RF200.

I wore the both the new lids for about 20 minutes and liked them both. I'm going with the RF1100 because, from what I can see and from WebBikeWorld's review, there isn't a big difference in quality or venting between the two. The venting in the new RF1100 is supposed to be way better than the RF1000, and looks like it'll be better than the X-11. But most importantly for me, Shoei finally built an RF series helmet with a removable liner. Being able to wash the removable liner is the only reason my current lid is the X-11. My old RF helmets would stink to high heaven after one Texas summer. I could wash the cheek pads, but not the liners. I tried lots of stuff, but nothing beats an honest to goodness washing with soap and warm water. With the difference in price, that tipped the balance, for me anyway, to the RF1100 over the X-12.

And I wouldn't expect your new helmet to have a problem with that spring. After all, its new. It just looks like an potential failure after several years and thousands of miles of heat, rain, cold, etc... I ride ~15,000 miles per year, most of it my 60 mile daily commute, and that spring concerns me as something that might not withstand five years of hard use. I just wanted to know your thoughts about it. It sounds like its not something that concerns you. It probably shouldn't concern me, either.

Again, thanks for the review. Do us a favor and add thoughts to the thread as you discover them.

• 2 weeks later...
markgoodrich

Updated update: couple hundred miles today, temp started out at 81, was 97 when I pulled back into the garage. I've never had a helmet which vented as well as this one. My head actually felt cool when under way. I wore foam earplugs, but I was thinking as I rode along that I could probably do without them, without further damaging my hearing. I was just thinking that...haven't put it into practice, don't recommend it.

• 1 month later...

I have a new RF1100, still lots of wind and tire noise w/o earplugs. do your self a favor and wear earplugs

I wear the Ear Soft gripprs 31Db with JM blutooth BLU277edr-FF speakers and mic.

Now that is a great combo and the RF1100 has pre-formed space for speakers! Maybe shoei is going to built in speakers down the rode.

It does take some time for the cheek pads to break in and they are more substantial and the peripheral vison is superior to the RF1000

The downside of the RF1100 over my Rf1000 is it is more massive and heavier

I have now become accustomed to the 1100, but the Rf1000 is somehow easier to wear. Not as cantankerous, but also not as safe or as quiet. since my speakers and mic are permanently mounted in teh 1100 I wear it exclusively.

Anyone interested in a mint silver Size large Rf1000 with 2500 miles on it. Used less then a season!

Thanks for the review. Very timely for me.

I'll be purchasing a new helmet at the end of this season, and will most likely move back to Shoei after trying Arai. I just hate the Arai mechanism to get the shield on and off.

And if that Arai shield side cover thing ever falls off due to the helmet's interaction with earth's gravity you will need duct tape too. I'm still waiting for a replacement after two weeks.

• 2 months later...

Archived