IGNORED

EXTENDED WARRANTY ADVICE on R1200RT with 2,900 miles

BMWAPRDUC

Greetings,

I have a 2007 BMW R1200RT with 2,900 Miles. I bought this bike 6 months ago and it is in showroom condition. As you can see very low miles as well. I think I got it at 2,100. Anyway, my factory warranty expires 7/21/2010 (next week Wed) and I am considering buying an Extended Warranty. I know that these things are not favored by many (especially when upsold), but given the cost of repairs to this bike, and the ROI on an investment of an Extended Warranty, can anyone share pros/cons with me on this?

I live in Scottsdale AZ and GOAZ Motorcycles (BMW dealer amongst other) offer a Warranty (waiting on a price, I think it was around $3K).

Any information at all will be very much appreciated. I am in a time crunch.

Thank you...

Paul Mihalka

$3K is absurd. A 3 year unlimited mile extension would be ball park around $1.000. It is worth only if you plan to ride a lot, like 20 to 30K/year.

I agree $3,000 is excessive. Shop around. Any dealer would be happy to get the extra revenue. An inspection may be required though, which for me would be a great excuse for a road trip.

Nice n Easy Rider

If you are going to go that route I would get an online quote from Contego Direct. Apparently they are a reputable organization and you can probably get 3 years for about $600. The quotes are free so not much to lose.

https://www.contegodirect.com/

Okay i just got a price back $1K for 36 months. I think it is worth getting it from the dealer who services my bike as well.

For a grand, it seems like its worth the peace of mind.

Like always - you guys are great.

Survived-til-now

Is the extended warranty coming from BMW? If so you should be safe.

If not - read the small print very carefully and if I can just point out one likely bit of that small print. If you need to claim make sure you get prior approval first from the warranty company and get a claim number, who authorised it, date etc. Better still get it in writing.

I had a car in with a dealer, who undertook to get the authorisation and proceeded with the repair. Next thing I heard was the dealer telling me that they had submitted their bill but the warranty company had gone bust - so would I pay the bill please.

I discovered the warranty was underwritten by Lloyds of London who had set up a claims dept to deal with unpaid warranty claims. So far so good - except the dealer had only a verbal agreement and no authorisation number for me to claim back on!

I told them I'd settle the bill when they came up with the authorisation details so I could in turn claim on Lloyds - never got the number and they didn't get paid.

Here's what you should spend on an extended warranty: $0.00

The question I always ask: Why would you buy a bike that's so lousy you were convinced, to the tune of $3K, that it's gonna crap out? Would you bet that same $3K that your bike will crap out, if you were in Vegas? Put it in your savings.

Now, if you bought my old '78 R100/7, you may well use that extended warranty.

The question I always ask: Why would you buy a bike that's so lousy you were convinced, to the tune of $3K, that it's gonna crap out?

That’s my opinion too. Why would you buy anything that’s so lousy you are convinced, often to the tune of 20% of the purchase price, that it's going to crap out?

Which is why every single consumer advocacy group says the same thing over and over again, year after year – the evidence, a few antidotal "my extended warranty saved me $xxx" stories aside; is overwhelmingly against them.

At the (electronics, appliance, wherever) counter when the ring out clerk starts pushing an extended warranty, my reply is always, "Hummm, well if this ________ is so poor that I’m going to need an extended warranty, maybe I should reconsider buying it." As I start to put my credit card away. Always seems to stop the sales pitch dead in its tracks for some reason.

IF the extended warranty costs $3k... I'd take the money and and invest it. Odds are good that you'll either 1) not use it and end up with maybe $3500 6 years later. 2) Use maybe $1500 for 1 major repair... and still end up ahead almost $2000. 3) had too major repairs and still end up a few hundred ahead. 4) Spend more than $3000.... maybe one in 1000 or less. It's more likely you get into an accident than spend more than $3000 out of pocket ot repair the bike within even and extended warranty period. I'll take those odds.

Plus you won't have the hassle of making warranty claims.

Also keep in mind that if you're paying cash out of pocket, your repair might go towards the front of the line. Dealers are often under reembursed for warranty repairs so they have little incentive to make them a high priority.

Keep in mind, I just barely made it under my warranty period for replacing the main seal on my RT. I'm guessing that's something like a $1000 repair. But i still wouldn't buy an extended arranty...even now.

Every BMW [auto] I've ever had I've also had an extended warranty for. And it's paid off BIG TIME.

I'm eight months into my RT's warranty with Pinnacle and have yet to have a claim. [the fuel sensor was just replaced, but that was under a parts and labor BMW warranty]

I've also racked up very few miles since buying the program due to off bike injuries this year, so my mileage is way down as well.

$3000?? No. I can't recall off the top of my head, but it was somewhere around $1000 - perhaps a hundred more or less.

My Toyota sequoia? I'd never buy a extended warranty for!

It's a big money maker for dealers/retailers. I bought my '05 RT w/3800 miles last August and gave it some thought, but in the end I couldn't bring myself to hand over that $800. They never want to include leaks, squeaks, etc.

Call MAX BMW... I did. Very nice lady there to help. She will even send you the contract to read- which is written in real language so a consumer can understand it. Notice it covers the ABS system -which some other policies do not.

I took it when I was in a similar situation as you. Hated to spend $1K, but sure feels good...

Archived