IGNORED

Dangerous activity...

jakfrost

Hanging around the accessory dept. while waiting for your bike at the dealer...

I know better but where else are you going to go?? Besides the smell of new bikes, leather clothing, ( becoming a rather extinct item...), and, well, I'm not sure new helmets have a distinct smell but that is what caught me.

Asked the sales attendant to show me the new 'C3' Schuberth in the glass case...he obliged and I put my C2 on the counter and pulled the new version over my ears and WOW, what a difference!

I'm sure some of you have read the review in BMWON a month or so ago but there is nothing like having the actual item in your hands. The only thing in common with the C2 is the name and the fact that it is a 'modular' helmet. Otherwise it is a completely new beast.

It is MUCH lighter, I mean really noticeably lighter! And on the plus side for some reason the 'large' fit me perfectly as opposed to requiring the 'XL version of the S1 and C2. Which means the smaller shell since Schuberth only makes 2 shells for the complete size range. The chin bar release is a single button in the front instead of the awkward side release on the C2...PLUS the internal dark visor is activated with a slide button along the left lower portion of the helmet, and you are able to set it to ANY position you like between all the way up and all the way down. The visor itself has a natural contour along the bottom instead of the 'straight' cut of the C2. Nice touch, and very smooooth action.

Now for the best part of all...where I really butchered the C2 trying to fit the Autocom microphone into the left check-piece, the C3 simply 'snaps' out, install the wiring, and 'snap' back into place. I was absolutly astounded at how simple it was. No more exact-o knife and hot glue gun!

Oh, and bonus, the face shield comes with a 'pin-lock' inner shield included! No more fogging issues....ever! Yahoooooo!

I had a Nolan modular that did pretty much the same thing...but it was the noisiest helmet I ever owned, this one is very, very quiet.

So anyone wanna buy a nice silver Schuberth C3 cheap? Only 2 months old, needs a new left cheek piece, ha,ha...

Jim

Hanging around the accessory dept. while waiting for your bike at the dealer...

I know better but where else are you going to go??...

Well I'm sure that is part of the dealership maybe-they'll-buy-some-more-stuff-while-they-wait-for-us-to-get-done master plan. Good for you for supporting the local dealer. Sounds like a great helmet. I will never go back to a non-modular helmet.

Jay

Yea the modulars have come a long way since the early 'heavy weights'...which often had the added 'feature' of having the chin bar drop down at the most inopportune times, like while taking a sip of hot coffee :-).

The other thing that dealer does is offer a 10% discount on merchandise if you shop while your bike is in for service...works both ways for them. Smart, eh?

Jim

Well I paid $809.00 Can which is 590.00 Euros...so you got a great price. They are hard to find as not many dealers stock them.

When I saw they had one in my size I grabbed it. Did you have a chance to have a look at, or try on the new 'Jet' from Schubert? I think that is what it is called, it is an 'open face' with a removable 'chin bar' that is like a plastic rod that snaps into place...looked pretty advanced...but no idea how it might have worked in the real world.

They had one there...so I got to hold it and try it on, but you would really have to 'ride' with it in order to see how the function might be. For sure it wouldn't be as quiet as the S1 or C3.

Jim

Back in a seemingly different financial life, I took the plunge and bought a "J1", and have had it for 3 years. It is louder than the modular (I had a concept) or full face (RSX)... However, with earplugs, and behind a fairing, it is pretty stable. I don't know (or want to start an arguement on) it actual effectiveness, just being a composite chin bar, but, the vision is out of this world in all directions.

Could I ask, where did you find a C3 for 380 Euros? That does seem like a great price!

Chris

Archived