IGNORED

Dead Battery Question

Moto-Moto

If a 1150rt battery drains, for example if some dumba$$ leaves the key in and the bike switched on in the garage overnight, can a Battery Tender recharge it or do I need to plan on buying a new battery?

I am still looking for the guy that did this to my bike :dopeslap: , can't blame the kids as they can't reach that high!

Hi Moto-Moto

That is a good question. You more than likely won’t need a new battery but in some cases a battery tender might not be able to get it excited enough to start properly re-charging it.

If it’s a lead acid battery then probably no problem getting the Battery Tender to get it re charged. If an AGM or some type of Gel Cells maybe yes maybe no.

Just hook your Battery Tender up and see what happens. If it re charges then no problem, if it won’t re charge and come up to full strength then you might have to hit it with a little more umph like 10-12 amps for a few minutes to get a base voltage in the battery then you can top it off with your battery tender.

Again it depends on your battery type and Battery Tender output circuitry.

Thanks

I have had it on a Battery Tender Jr since this am. It definately has picked up a little juice, but not enough to start the fuel pump when I turn the bike on.

Where do I find a bigger boost 10-12 amps you are referring to? Jump start off another bike?

Thanks

Hi again Moto-Moto

That would be one way. Jump start off another bike to get it started then allow the bike’s alternator to give it a good high amp charging shot. That wouldn’t be my best recommendation but would probably work.

Once you get that battery to start taking more than a minor charge then put your Battery Tender back on it.

If your battery is old sometimes a total run down will kill it but if the battery is healthy it should come around once you get it to start taking a charge.

Another option is to ask a neighbor or friend if they have an older larger battery charger you could use.

I :dopeslap: , can't blame the kids as they can't reach that high!

Start by blaming your wife, that will start things off on a good foot :rofl:

What Dirt rider said is good advice. If it is a gel battery you may have toasted it. If it is a AGM, they can take deep discharges and be brought back to life. I personally feel that you need a charger heavier than a TENDER, to at least get the thing up to starting level.

I took the battery out and ran it up to a local auto place to put it on a big battery tender. I will pick it up tomorrow and hope it works.

-still haven't told my wife I have the bike!!!!!

You don't need a big battery tender. You need a good 10-12 battery charger, available at any auto parts store, to get her back up. Don't bother with trickle charging in such a situation.

-MKL

Ok, problem solved! The fuse to the battery from the tender was blown.

My understanding is the Batt Tender Jr is good for everyday trickle, but if the battery is dead, I need something bigger.

Thanks

If the fuse was blown, you would not have seen a solid LED on the trickle charger when you hooked it up. It would have blinked or somehow or other not been the usual red or green solid - that's how you'd know to check connections or fuses.

-MKL

Archived