IGNORED

Ipod question

roughwaterjohn

roughwaterjohn

Hey all,

I've been unable to figure out a solution to something I'm trying to do, so I thought I would throw it out to all of you smart people.

I've got an Ipod Classic with the standard 30-pin connection on the bottom, for charging, up/downloading etc. I also have a bluetooth device that plugs into that 30-pin connector when I'm riding, so I can hear my audio books.

The bluetooth device gets it's power from the Ipod, so battery life is shortened when I use it on my bike. The bikes an RT-P, so their is a convenient charging port right there on the dash. The problem is, I have no way currently to plug in both the bluetooth and the 12V charging cable.

I thought there would be a 30-pin Y-adapter or cable on the market but so far, no such luck. I would rather not pull apart the connector and splice in a Y by myself, but I will if that's all that's available. Plenty of Ipod Y-adapters and cables for the earphone jack, but nothing I've found for the 30-pin connector at it's base.

So, what I'm looking for is a short Y or adapter cable, that has a single standard 30-pin male connector on one end, and two standard 30-pin female connectors on the other end. Ideas, suggestions.... ?

Bill_Walker

I don't thing there is any such beast. You might be able to find a bluetooth adapter that has a passthrough port for charging, like the receiver for the iJet wireless remote I use.

I have connected a remote power socket to plug in my I-pod( a classic) but cannot leave it connected to the 12v power while listening--- there is a constant hum that interferes with the music.

I just plug in when I get off the bike and by doing this I can ride 10 to 12 hours and still be listening to music all the while I'm riding.

Joe Frickin' Friday
I have connected a remote power socket to plug in my I-pod( a classic) but cannot leave it connected to the 12v power while listening--- there is a constant hum that interferes with the music.

As I discovered recently, you need a ground loop isolator; this should kill the buzz. Get thee to a Radio Shack.

Roughwaterjohn, is your bluetooth thing a remote control, or just a wireless audio transmitter? If it's a remote, you might look for the Scosche iPod remote; it's got a pass-through feature that lets you connect the 30-pin charge cable to it while it in turn is connected to the iPod. If it's just a wireless audio transmitter, maybe you can find a different one that connects to the iPod's audio jack?

roughwaterjohn

Thanks for the info so far everyone. Just for clarification, here's what I'm using and why. I'm using bluetooth on my helmet for cell phone use. It can also sync to two more devices, so I have a bluetooth Ipod transmitter that plugs into the bottom of the Ipod.

I already have the bluetooth, so whatever I use on the Ipod has to use that. I don't want any cables connecting me to the Ipod or other electrical devices, just in case I need to jump up quickly and ride standing on the seat to impress any gorgeous women I see while out and about. Not saying it's going to happen, I just want to be prepared for it.

Anything that's just wireless but not bluetooth, or requires a cable will not allow me to entertain in the manner I feel would be appropriate (please see above) or would not take advantage of my pre-existing (and amazingly cool) bluetooth device.

There..... any other suggestions? :thumbsup:

There IS a charging cradle that has a pass-through 30-pin port. It's called the TuneFlex, and was made by Griffin. I say WAS, because the current version doesn't have the pass-through.

It's designed for use in a car - it's got an arm that connects the cigarette lighter plug to the dock, holding the ipod up for view/use. On a bike, you'd have to deal with a bunch of extra stuff that you didn't need. (The cradle, the stiff flexible arm, etc.)

I had plans to buy one of fleabay, and cut off/rewire the arm. Never did it, so I can't tell you how hard it might be.

Good luck!

Use a bluetooth transmitter NOT designed for the ipod with a standard 3.5mm audio jack. There are a number of them on the market.

http://www.amazon.com/Miccus-BluBridge-Mini-Jack-Bluetooth-Transmitter/dp/B002HHLOWC/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1279761530&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Bluetooth-Stereo-Adapter-Players/dp/B002DTRO9Q/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1279761558&sr=1-3

And such...

They all run on a rechargeable battery of course, so if you are planning on riding longer then 8 hours, you need to find one that will work while it's charging, and get a 12VDC USB charger to charge it.

Archived