IGNORED

Possible GPS battery drain question

Foxy

I recently replaced an old Garmin 2610 GPS with a new Nuvi 550, smaller "footprint" and I think easier to operate. The 2610 did not have an internal rechargeable battery but the Nuvi does. About a week ago (after returning from a 10 day vacation in Italy), I went to start my R1100RT and the battery (Odyssey PC680, about 4 years old)) was dead. I usually put the bike on a Battery Tender when I leave it parked for awhile and often do it even overnight but forgot this time. I noticed that even when I turn the Nuvi off at the switch on top, the power cable's charge light is "green" (on). I then realized that maybe that was the culprit rather than an aging battery. Anybody out there have a similar experience or know if the Nuvi still draws charging current from the bike battery even when the Nuvi is turned "off"? BTW, I haven't gotten around to hardwiring the Nuvi to the battery but have it plugged in to the accessory outlet on the RT's fairing panel.

Any help appreciated.

Foxy

Hi Foxy

I can’t speak directly on the Nuvi 550 but on the Zumo 550 the “car” mount cradle does charge the Zumo’s internal battery with the unit turned off. On the other hand the Zumo “motorcycle” mount doesn’t charge the internal battery with the Zumo turned off.

If you are using a car cradle there is a good possibility that it is trying to charge the internal battery with the unit turned off. It’s probably in your Nuvi owners manual.

Firefight911

If the green light is on, it's drawing power.

Disconnect it from power when not in use or when in storage.

Other test worth looking at is to connect an ammeter in the system and check for draw with the Nuvi and without and see the difference and to verify no other draw source than the Nuvi.

Dirtrider & 1bmwfan

Thanks for the helpful replies. I'm using the accessory cord cable that came with the Nuvi - mini plug into the nuvi & "cigar plug" on other end that plugs into the car accessory plug. When I've used the Nuvi in the car i'mpretty sure the little green charging light on the cigar plug goes off when I turn the car off but when it's in the accessory plug in the bike it stays on. Will try unplugging it whenever I turn the bike off. Thanks agin.

Foxy

On cars, the accessory socket is typcailly turned off when the igntion is turned ot off. But I beleive on the newer BMW's the accessory plug will stay energized after the ignition is turned off if there is a plad present when the biek was turned off.

BTW - how do you like the Nuvi on the motorcycle? Is it waterproof? What do you do if it rains? I've thought of going to a car style GPS since my Garmin Quest II kid of sucks and the motorcycle GPS units are so expensive.

Motoguy

Thanks for the tip about the accessory socket on cars vs MCs. That's what I figured but nice to have confirmation.

RE the NUVI 550. I really like it. Much more compact and easier to use than the old 2610 that I had on previously. My understanding is that the NUVI 550 is waterproof (It just poured down rain and my bike was uncovered in the parking lot so I guess I'll find out!). The screen is easier to read than the 2610 and with the rechargeable battery and small size I can take it off the bike and use it around town, on the trails, etc. & not have to carry a regular handheld GPS.

Thanks again & Rubber side down!

foxj

• 5 weeks later...
malcolmblalock

I don't know what kind of electrical draw the Zumo has, but the older Streetpilot 26XX and 27XX series has a tiny draw. I commonly leave mine on for hours and hours running on the RT's battery, and never had a problem. The power leads are very tiny; you must be careful not to break them.

Based on that, I'd guess that if the M/C's battery is dying through the Zumo, it was pretty well on it's way to death.

Just my 2cents worth and experience.

Archived