IGNORED

Switched live

Mick Glass

Hi, I have the R1100RT 2000 model.

I want to find a switched live on the bike which is easily accesible, or easier than most!!. Where could I find one?

I have 2, 12v sockets one on the front fairing, one on the left side under my leg when sitting on the bike.

How easy is it to get to the supply to one of these? or is there a better way??

Mick

As I recall on the 1100 series the accessory sockets are not switched, so that won’t work. The most common thing used is the small ‘parking lamp’ located in the headlight assembly. It will not of course power anything directly, but it is a good source to trip a relay that then powers whatever you want.

Hi Ken, yeah, that's exactly what I need it for - to trip a relay.

How easy is it to get to because I've just been out to the garage to look at it and it looks complicated to get to.

Mick.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Unplug the headlamp connector. Take the positive low beam and put a splice on it and run that to your relay. I've got that line running to a switch then a relay for foglamps.

Are there any more idea's for a switched live?

Hi Mick

Well you always have the easy to access tail light wire under the rear of the seat, or use a little brass fuse jumper to go under a fuse prong in the fuse box, or the more difficult to locate but effective ignition activated wire that goes to the unused anti theft system plug.

The rubber parking lamp socket pulls down and out of headlamp ass'y, then just cut back a bit of the wrap and wire insulation and slice a lead.

The disadvantage of using the low beam is the low beam is shut off during engine crank and will cause a disruption of power to your (controlled)device. If for example a GPS, then it resets.

The tail light is a poor choice because of the brake light backup system that uses the tail light as a substitute brake light.

The anti-theft system connector is a possibility if so equipped. So 1100s had it, some did not.

Sheepherder

I use the parking light for the control power

then used a relay. If you mess up the wire no

biggie since we don't use it in the states.

relay wiring

check here

http://www.rallylights.com/hella/Relays.aspx#choose

you can use almost any relay,

most parts stores have them or can order

I have relays to run my moto lights and driving

lights, give me a pm if you have any questions

The tail light is a poor choice because of the brake light backup system that uses the tail light as a substitute brake light.

Hi Ken

I guess I never knew the BMW 1100RT with the old as dirt ABS-2 brake system used the tail light as a back up brake light. At least none of mine ever did. The first bike I owned that had the ABS computer run the brake light as a tail light was the 1150 IABS servo system and even that ran the brake light at about half intensity as the tail light not the other way around.

Are you sure on the 1100 or by chance are you thinking the 1150/early 1200 using the IABS systems that have the brake tail light wiring coming out of the ABS computer?

DavidEBSmith

If you don't have the factory radio, you can use the radio power connectors. (If you have the factory radio you can use them, but it's more complicated). You have to remove the left side body panel. Near the back of the glove box you'll find (from memory) a red + something wire and a purple + something wire (and a brown wire which is ground). The red + something is constant on. The purple + something is switched by the ignition switch so it's on when the key is in any position other than LOCK.

I have my GPS wired to the purple + something wire so that when I switch the ignition off in gas stations or for short stops, the GPS stays on, but if I were to lock the ignition (say at a motel at night) it will turn the GPS off.

If you connect to the parking lamp, and if you install the Euro headlight switch, you can use the headlight switch to control your accessories, which is what I've done for my XM and audio mixer. With the stock Euro switch position 3 is headlight + parking light on, position 2 is parking light on, position 1 is all off. So if I need to hear something when the bike is running, I just switch the headlight off, and it kills the audio.

The deed is done, thanks for your help. I did in fact use the front parking light as a feed for the relay. All works great.

Mick

Are there any more idea's for a switched live?

Thanks in advance, Mick

I know of an easily accessible source for switched 12vdc, but I do not know if your 1150's electrical system is the same as that in the two 1200s I've owned. If someone can tell us that, I have a set of directions with photos on how to connect a relay to that switched power. The power source I used on my last two R1200RTs is under the seat, just aft of the battery.

Hi Deek

Your 1200 hexhead has a switched power wire in the diagnostic connector under the seat. Mick’s 1100RT doesn’t have the same type diagnostic connector or any switched power source in his much simpler diagnostic connector.

Hi Deek

Your 1200 hexhead has a switched power wire in the diagnostic connector under the seat. Mick’s 1100RT doesn’t have the same type diagnostic connector or any switched power source in his much simpler diagnostic connector.

Thanks, that's what I suspected. I believe that might be the switched power I am using. It's yellow/black.

Archived