IGNORED

Minimalist air pumps -- check these!

doc47

Our non-motorized single-tracker brothers and sisters know how to do things the light and simple way. We can learn from them.

These are high-quality products at minimal prices. Their service is first-class!

(Usual disclaimers, etc.)

Planet Bike Air Pumps

Considering the cost and weight of these, vs. 12V mini pumps, I'm not sure there's much advantage. Certainly a lot more work anyway.

If you're fond of the mini bicycle pumps check out the Topeak Road Morph. It's actually a mini floor pump - which is probably a worthwhile upgrade.

One of my cycling/motorcycling friends carries a Road Morph on his motorcycle, but it's going to take a lot of exercise to pressure up a motorcycle tire using it if he ever has a flat. The volume of air pumped with each stroke is very low. I use a Morph on my Litespeed but a 12v Slime pump on the RT.

I have a 12v Slime pump and it has crapped out on me. Lots of noise, very little air!

I had a similar, homemade one that I cannibalized out of a Fred Meier special; one of those ones in a big, plastic box. I'm sure it's the same as the one in the Slime pump. Looks the same, anyway. Worked fine but this one in the Slime pump ain't hackin' the biscuits.

Pumping by hand is a lot of work but in the back of beyond I want reliability!!

BeemerLover

I was at my Autozone store this past weekend and saw a 12v portable tire inflator for about $10. It was compact in a plastic zippered case and would pump a car tire up to 35 lbs. Might be worth a look.

My Slime is still going strong after a couple years. Haven't had to use it to pressure up a flat, but it's handy for topping off tires occasionally on tours.

When in Baja with 3 other riders, we were constantly airing up and down several times a day, depending on sand, rocks and pavement. The other 3 guys brought manual air pumps. I brought a small 12V pump. Guess which one got used the rest of the trip after the first day. :/

skinny_tom (aka boney)

The problem with a lot of smaller 12v pumps is that the piston is made of plastic. It wears out after a while. I can't tell you what a while is because I didn't keep track of running time of my last cheap one. I sure that how long it runs each time makes a difference because of heat, as well as total time.

Now I'm using a more expensive one, and so far haven't had a problem. Of course, I now also carry a super small hand pump just in case.

skinny_tom (aka boney)
Outpost and Boney,

What brands of pumps are you using?

I have the expensive Cyclepump from Best Rest I can't vouch for it's longevity as I've not "fully" tested it. ;) However, it so far has lasted considerably longer than a $39 Sparrow.

When I'm out in the woods I also carry a cheap super-miniature hand pump for bicycles just in case. I haven't been left by a power pump, but the Sparrow failed (without notice) once when I was going to air-up the tires for a long pavement stretch. It just ran forever without adding any air to the tire. I rode with low air pressures- no big deal, but if the tire had been flat....

Mine is a Campbell Hausfeld small portable (about 5" x 5" x 2"). Four years later, it still works. I think it cost about $25.00(?)

I had one of those floor pumps. It was perhaps the shortest lived pump I ever owned. The check valve failed after just 2 years of use. I've had walmrt pumps last longer.

My BMW /5s and /6s had hand pumps mounted to the frame under the seat as standard equipment. I had to use it once many years ago and it indeed worked. Now I carry a Cycle Pump from Best Rest. Expensive but has never let me down.

Archived