IGNORED

protecting a power cord for Garmin 2610

Scarecrow

I'm about to put a new battery in my 1150RT. I thought I would buy one of those 'direct to battery' power cables for my old 2610 (still works just fine, thank you). Wiring it up seems pretty easy, even for me. It has a fuse, so I assume I can just connect it directly to the battery and not worry. Question: what is the best way to protect it from water, as in rain storms or even just washing? Protecting both the fuse and the end which slips into the gps?

TIA,

My 2730 uses same gear.

Never done that.

It is on it's second hundred thousand miles and has seen rain.

Replaced fuse once, and Autocom fuse 2x.

Just carry a couple spares.

Thanks. I wasn't sure how waterproof the connector end would be and 95% of my riding is without the GPS.

I have never done anything to protect mine. After years of use in all types of weather, all of the connections are still nice and shiny. I also do most of my riding without the GPS, and the connector just swings in the wind up on my RCU shelf. I've never had any issues.

I wouldn't worry about it

If you are using the Garmin mount, there is a spot on the mount to slide the connector in when not in use. That's what I always used... Unless you remove the mount when you ride. If so, I'd just use the white protective cap that garmin provided with it....

If you are using the Garmin mount, there is a spot on the mount to slide the connector in when not in use. That's what I always used... Unless you remove the mount when you ride. If so, I'd just use the white protective cap that garmin provided with it....

and add some tape to keep the cover in place.

:wave:

DavidEBSmith

It is not so much the waterproofness you want to worry about - you can put a dab of dielectric grease on the contacts to protect them. The potential issue with the Garmin connector is that when it's not connected, the +12 V contact is exposed (it's the pin at the small end of the connector, separated from the rest by a ridge). If it contacts something metal that's connected to your bike frame, you get a short. If it's mounted so it can never do that, no problem. If it can touch anything metal, worry.

Thanks again to all. I would not have thought about the shorting problem David mentions. It's reassuring to know some of you have not had problems even with it 'hanging loose'. And I will use tape around the white plastic cover. I already lost one of those.

Thanks again to all. I would not have thought about the shorting problem David mentions. It's reassuring to know some of you have not had problems even with it 'hanging loose'. And I will use tape around the white plastic cover. I already lost one of those.

To keep from losing that small white plastic cover, I drilled a small hole in the cap and tried a piece of dental floss (it was handy, what can I say?) to the cap, then tied the other end to the cable itself. That way the cap is tethered to the cable when I disconnect the GPS from its power plug. The dental floss is still working about several years; it's tough stuff! :Cool:

...I drilled a small hole in the cap and tried a piece of dental floss (it was handy, what can I say?)...The dental floss is still working about several years..:Cool:

And the floss is right there handy if you get a piece of corn or what not stuck in your teeth after stopping for lunch. :grin: (notice how clean the teeth are?)

Archived