IGNORED

Those red and yellow side reflectors?

Sailorlite

Those reflectors are rarely present in the manufacturer's sales brochures and evidently are not installed on bikes meant for the rest of the world. And from a design or aesthetic point of view they're ugly. For $40 the red ones on the side cases can be replaced by non-reflector factory BMW badges, and I guess the yellow fork reflectors can be removed.

I'm a dedicated ATGATT rider and my helmet's white, but is there really evidence anecdotal or otherwise that those reflectors make me less likely to get run into? I'm inclined to remove them. (Yes, I know there are more serious issues, but nevertheless...).

Hi Sailorlite

Probably no way to tell for sure if they work or not. Obviously the government safety agency thinks they work or they wouldn’t be required on import bikes and cars.

I guess you could remove them then see if you can ride the life of the bike without being hit in the side. If you don’t get t-boned then you didn’t really need them. If you get hit in the side then you can wonder if they would have helped.

One thing to keep in mind is if you remove them and purposely defeat a government safety device then get hit, or worse, your legal leverage will probably diminished if the other side’s lawyers show you didn’t have the government required reflective hardware.

Paul Mihalka

I don't know what the official safety inspection situation is in California, but if there is a inspection (safety, not emissions) you will have problems if you remove them.

No state safety inspection that I'm aware of requires side reflectors or even checks for them. Hell, most vehicle safety inspections don't even check for seat belts though most states require that vehicles originally equipped with them must have them. Side reflectors? You can remove them just like you can tear that tag off your mattress after you buy it. ;)

No state safety inspection that I'm aware of requires side reflectors or even checks for them. Hell, most vehicle safety inspections don't even check for seat belts though most states require that vehicles originally equipped with them must have them. Side reflectors? You can remove them just like you can tear that tag off your mattress after you buy it. ;)

So the states can't even enforce their own laws? Pitiful!

I have removed them off several bikes I have owned and never been hassled in SoCal even when the popo go looking for non-legal exhaust etc... IF you don't like them, take me off!

JT

Paul Mihalka

In Maryland a safety inspection is done only when a used bike changes hands, but inspection is very thorough. The bike without the correct reflectors will not pass. Brake pads checked, disks measured, steering head bearings checked for notchiness, many other things. Only real motorcycle shops are authorized inspection stations, not any gas station.

So the states can't even enforce their own laws? Pitiful!

All equipment laws are enforced, just not necessarily during your vehicle's annual safety inspection. It's normally left for law enforcement officers, hence the title. ;)

BMW shipped a few early 05s to the US with the BMW emblem instead of the reflectors. Pointed it out to the salesman, mine had the reflectors though.

Pat

BMW shipped a few early 05s to the US with the BMW emblem instead of the reflectors. Pointed it out to the salesman, mine had the reflectors though.

Pat

My early '05 came with reflectors on the side cases, so I swapped them out for the black BMW emblems. Looks much better IMHO. I left the orange ones on the front forks, though I agree that they are ugly.

Jay

Harry_Wilshusen
I don't know what the official safety inspection situation is in California, but if there is a inspection (safety, not emissions) you will have problems if you remove them.

As far as inspections goes, all you have to do is take the side cases off.

Harry

I remove them within 5 minutes of bring the bikes home. I have sold several to friends in kali and don't think they have been bothered by the inspectors.

Archived