IGNORED

Navigator II Connection Problem

fleming

I have bought a Navigator 2 Satnav system from a friend who took it as part exchange for some work he had done, the guy had run out of cash. Anyway, seems the original owner had a 1200 ST so the fitting kit is for that. I have a 2000 model 1100RT. The wiring loom splits into two parts, one that feeds into the satnav unit and another smaller round 5 pin plug that feeds into the base unit. All is well so far. At the other end of the cable is a white plug with three wires feeding into it, a red, a black and a purple.

Does anyone know how I now connect and therefore power up the system from here. Can I just run the red (live) and the black(earth) through a fuse and then onto the battery, and if so what is the purple wire for.

I've read many forum threads on this but all seem to refer to later model bikes which have a hidden similiar white plug near to the top frame wiring harness to plug into.

I have a Navigator II that came new in the box. There was a three pin connector that matched perfectly with the motorcycle's radio connector, which was tie-wrapped to the frame, as mine did not come with a radio. The unit also came with a short tap-in (I think there is probably a technically correct name for this) connector which could provide power to a radio with an integral tap for the gps.

Since I don't need the stock radio connector for a radio, I connected directly to GPS power supply cord. and I never used the tap. Although it has been on the bike for 5 years now and still works as well as the day I got it...I was never pleased with the dim display on the Navigator II. This is kind of a long winded way of saying,"I don't have a clue" but I thought you needed affirmation that someone cared enough to respond.

Actually my fuse box has a spare slot and if the motorcycle hadn't come with the proper connection, I would have run a hot wire from the spare fused slot and then from the gps to a solid ground. Good luck!

Thanks Big Gray for your reply. I run a makeshift lead from the battery to the red and black connections in the power lead from the sat nav and sure enough it fires up ok. I think the purple wire powers the left side of the console that is fixed to the bike. Am considering twisting the red and purple together and then onto the battery to see if the left side ( in/out/enter/esc) powers up. I had a look at the wiring connections which serve the radio (not fittted) but none of the connection match up to my lead. Do you have any views on this?

Thanks again, sure it was like Xmas getting a reply.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks guys for your replies. I have hard wired the system, taped up the purple wire. No sound, but that's not a problem really. Put a new thread on asking for anyone got an old cradle that they are not needing as mine does not have the retaining fixing that holds the unit to the cradle. Cheers ..

Archived