IGNORED

Veskimo cooling products

flashman51

Has anyone tried these? I ride in a pretty hot area. I don't want to waste my money if they don't really work.

CoarsegoldKid

I'm not sure which cooling vest Heck has but he sure would recommend it. When he sees this post he can tell you. His uses a small ice chest that has a recirculating water pump submerged in ice and water and two hoses connecting the vest to deliver ice cold water through the small pipes in the vest.

You might check out the "Hyperkewl" evaporative cooling vest made by Techniche. They are very reasonably priced and work really well. Used mine recently on a trip where I spent a couple days riding very comfortably in +90 degree weather. They have some kind of polymer embedded in one layer of the fabric that holds water and keeps the vest moist for several hours. Only issue I had was that the vest felt slimy. This was evidently a problem with one of the production runs....called the company when I got back and they sent me a new one.

I used a Silver Eagle cooling vest recently on a trip across the desert at 111 degrees and was comfortable. With controlled venting, it lasted more than 2 hours. I wore my Stich over it and just used the normal vents which worked out well. A mesh jacket would result in too cold and not long enough. Better off with a regular jacket when using these vests in high temps. Only works in low humidity environment like the greater southwest.

I bought the Veskimo and the 9 quart cooler just before a long trip that included the MOA Rally.

Using block ice can get about 4-5 plus hours in central CA.summer weather(90-100 plus temps!)

Using bag ice from the store 2-3 plus hrs.

At first you feel a real cold rush,then it's cool riding.After a couple hours you just realize you are comfortable cool,but don't have that"cold"sensation.

It really makes a big difference with the proper gear.It seems counter intuitive in the heat,but you actually have to bundle up a bit for best effect.You are switching from convection cooling to conduction cooling with this system.

On my GS I wear an Olympia X-Moto jacket with vents closed and wear a non inflated BMW Airvantage Goretex vest directly over the Veskimo vest.Only need the lightest coolmax layer under the vest or an LDComfort shirt.

Here are a few other posts on the Veskimo from users on ADVRider:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=601545

Beats any cool vest out there including the Silver Eagle(I still have one)

JR356

Archived