IGNORED

Wrecked new 2010 RT at BMW MOA - Need repair advice

Gregg

It pains me to say it but...I crashed my NEW 2010 R1200RT. Thirty years, never a crash. My first NEW bike and Mr. Antelope decides he needs to cross the road just as I'm coming around the corner!

I high sided into some lovely trees after a wrestling for control on the side of a between corner of Hwy 40 in Redmond, OR on the first day of the rally. Ouch!

I need some wise council from the forum! My local BMW dealer (only one in town) does not have a good service reputation. My bike has been sitting in the shop for 2 weeks. They can't seem to identify/find the right part #s bec. the bike is too new. So they say. I did find out labor is estimated at $4K. Parts will include from head to toe (front fender, windshield, mirror, all the tupperware, new heads (both sides) exhaust, top rack, tail lights. My biggest worry is the front wheel is tweaked slightly to the left. They say it could be the fairing is off. I think it's the sub-frame is bent.

So...what to do? Any suggestions? Here's what I've thought of:

1) Look for a more experienced BMW service tech and dealer even if I have to travel farther away?

2) Ask my insurance adjuster if he'd consider totaling the bike since labor + parts will be more than 50% of original value (I'm guessing it will be). They could part out the good stuff and recupe some cash.

I need the collective wisdom of the forum. What sayeth ya'll?

Sorry to hear, hope you're OK.

You need a real estimate.

All parts and ancillary items (washers, etc. that put the bike good as new).

The tupperware needs to come off.

If your dealer can't tell if the subframe is bent, it needs replacing.

It probably does no matter what.

50% may be too low a figure for total, depends.

HOW IN THE WORLD can your dealer give an accurate labor estimate, if they don't know completely what they need to do and what needs replacing?

Sorry, but that ain't right.

Get the value of your bike, in the condition it was.

Get a real estimate.

Compare.

Good luck.

Best wishes.

Get with your Insurance agent - file a claim, they will asign an adjustor to your claim. That is who you need to be talking with, not the dealer. Sounds like they gave you a ball=park on labor, but I don't know why since that should/would be paid by Insurance proceeds. For some of the parts given the description of your crash, no one will know the full extent of the damage until the bike is torn down. The dealer will work with the Adjustor to amend the amount of the claim as any 'hidden damage' is uncovered.

I'm okay. Not even a scratch or bruise! My back is complaining though.

I'll ask for the complete estimate and insist that they test the subframe. Anyone know what the technical diagnostic is to test subframe rigidity?

No clue how they "estimated" labor without estimating what needs to be replaced. Maybe they were just trying to give me a number to get me off the phone :)

I do have an insurance adjustor. He came out quick and is in touch with the dealer, perhaps they're communicating well. I'm just not sure anyone is advocating for me.

Should I only talk to adjustor and let him work with dealer?

I just want to make sure I get back on a SAFE machine and have it looking like the 600mile new 2010 RT I had...and it'd be great if that could happen before the prime riding season ends :)

Peter Parts

Very sad but good you are not injured. Better to have a soft-tissue pain in your back than a pain in your elbow (which means a pinched nerve in your neck).

Yeah, 34 years for me between spills but you always wonder what you could have done differently, even silly ideas like a deer whistle!

My opinion isn't worth much here, but anyway, I'd say some bits and pieces will not be broken obviously enough to replace but broken or slightly bent enough to give you grief downstream or make the machine feel not quite right and you'll be living with those shortcomings just after you bought a "perfect" new bike for once. Your call.

Sometimes the dealer or the appraiser want to be friends with you and sometimes with the opposite party. You are right to wonder who are in your corner in this matter. My local dealer, who I see very rarely despite our long acquaintance but respect, would do a good job for me as a BMW fan and list all the small items that should be replaced. You want that kind of dealer in your corner.

Ben

Paul Mihalka

The only way these cases work is that a reputable dealer makes a detailed estimate for which he guarantees to make the bike back to new. That estimate is then approved by the adjuster. Insurance adjusters are not capable to make a usable estimate for motorcycle repairs.

Gregg, glad you are okay, keep in mind colliding with an animal is considered "comprehensive" damage and does not cost you on your insurance as "collision" would.

You need to be talking with both the dealer and the adjuster. At the end of the day if it isn't fixed correctly the dealer is responsible. The adjuster to make certain everything is found and is covered.

If the dealers first number was without even having seen the bike, then forget that number it is meaningless. Assuming you had full coverage the two things you should be concerned about is 1) everything is found and fixed, 2) the amount of your deductable. Ok maybe 3) the amount your premium is going to go up.

Paul Mihalka

"Ok maybe 3) the amount your premium is going to go up"

That should not happen. Animal caused accidents go under "comprehensive" in the policy, not "collision".

Luckily I'm fully covered. Deduct. is only $500. It makes sense to deal with both parties and really work toward the full, complete recovery of the bike.

It just doesn't feel like anyone is really paying attention or advocating for me the consumer, premium payer, loyal, long-time BMW dealer customer with 3+ bikes. Urgh!

I'm sure it'll all work out. Of course, I'm impatience too. Each amazing weekend makes me miss riding. Okay...I'll stop whining now.

FWIW

Don't Veer for Deer

I assume it applies to pronghorn as well.

I don't think I buy this concept when in comes to motorcycles. I get it for cars where losing control and running off the road is probably more likely to cause injuries than hitting the deer. A deer/car strike may result in thousands in damages but the deer is almost always the big loser. With a bike I'd rate my chances about even as to which collision (deer or terrain) is going to be worse.

As someone who has hit a deer and experienced numerous close calls I believe only one strategy is effective. When you see a deer approaching or already in the road, squeeze your brakes for all their worth. If you veer there is a good chance the deer will do the same. And it's pretty much a 50-50 proposition that you'll both veer to the same side of the road.

The only way these cases work is that a reputable BMW dealer makes a detailed estimate for which he guarantees to make the bike back to new. That estimate is then approved by the adjuster. Insurance adjusters are not capable to make a usable estimate for motorcycle repairs.

;)

And, the rush to fix before riding season ends needs to be eliminated from the equation.

Good luck.

Interestingly enough none of the various insurance carriers I've had offer 'rental' coverage for motorcycle like they do for cars.

The only advocate for you in this process is 'you'.

AdirondackJack

Not sure how you get to this, but look up the insurance concept of "indemnification". Simply put, it means putting you 100% back in the position you were in before you had the crash. Whatever it takes, someone has to advocate for you and satisfy you that it's as if the crash never occurred. Best of luck! Dave R.

try, for them to total the bike. it will never be the same after a major repair and no one will ever buy it when you want to sell it

FWIW

Don't Veer for Deer

I assume it applies to pronghorn as well.

I don't think I buy this concept when in comes to motorcycles. I get it for cars where losing control and running off the road is probably more likely to cause injuries than hitting the deer. A deer/car strike may result in thousands in damages but the deer is almost always the big loser. With a bike I'd rate my chances about even as to which collision (deer or terrain) is going to be worse.

Hmmmm...

"Since implementation of this program the number of fatalities resulting from deer/car collisions dropped 60% in 2005 (4 in 2005 compared to 10 in 2003). Preliminary numbers for 2006 indicate that there haven't been any fatalities resulting from deer/car collisions, however, deer/motorcycle collision fatalities are on the rise with 5 so far in 2006 as compared to 4 deer/motorcycle collision fatalities in 2003 "

I think sometimes grabbing a handful o brake and hoping the critter jumps the other way is all you can do..

Glad you came out of it so well physically! I Hope everything works out for you and you're up n running again soon!

The best course of action:

* Brake Firmly

* Steer to Maintain Control, and

* Stop safely within your lane or along the shoulder of the highway.

* Using your safety belt will also reduce/eliminate your chance of personal injury.

I like that advice. Sounds like they did a great job studying the problem. Now, if I could only find my seat belt.... :rofl:

Okay...the initial estimate is in: $12,500 (parts and labor) to repair bike (excluding any unforeseen mechanical work that might be hiding under the tupperware). The bike originally cost $18.500.

Is it a case for a request to "total" the bike?

Any advice/help?

Paul Mihalka

The replacement book value of a '10 R1200RT is around $16.000. Bikes get totaled latest when the repair is 75-80% of value. Your bike should be totaled.

Gregg, how are YOU doing?

Paul - Thanks for asking. I'm doing amazingly well. It was a soft landing and no road rash. Since the accident, though I've been having some lower back pain that's been giving me grief.

Thanks for the info. It makes me very sad to think my new bike might be totaled. Seriously, I waited and saved forever to get that first NEW bike and well...it didn't turn out the way I hoped.

Does anyone have access to "The Black Book" that insurance companies use to determine replacement value? I'm trying to get a good idea of what my insurance company thinks my bike is worth or at least what they're comparing it to.

I've looked at Nada Guide and KBB. KBB doesn't have data on the 2010 and Nada Guide doesn't take into account all the 2010 RT options.

Any other suggestions for finding a replacement value for a new 2010 RT that the insurance company would agree with?

How 'bout a contract from your dealer on an identical new RT?

You might be over worrying this situation.

Paul Mihalka

Often insurance companies don't have a good source for used bike values so they call a local dealer for information.

Mini hijack: When my R1150R burned up (don't ask me to tell the story again) my insurance called a dealer for value. They happened to call the dealer I work at. The dealer realized that it was about my bike. I got a very nice pay-off :grin:

How 'bout a contract from your dealer on an identical new RT?

You might be over worrying this situation.

+1 on that. And if that does not work, you have the most honest-to-god dealer in the country.

How long did you have the bike? Some insurance companies offer full replacement if a vehicle is totaled during the first 30 days, and up to 90 days, of ownership depending on the miles and conditional on it not being used commercially.

Really? Hmmm. I've had the bike for about 45 days before the accident and it had maybe 600 miles on it at the time of the accident. Who should I ask about the policy? The adjuster or the insurance company directly?

This is why you have insurance.

The adjustor should answer your questions.

Don't answer if you don't want to, but is there a balance owed on the bike?

Being upside down can color your choices gray.

If not, I'd be looking to replace the bike.

Total.

Gregg, you need to be working with your agent directly. The process is fairly simple, be firm, ask questions, and most important follow up on everything. Keep a log if necessary. You should have a check approx 10 days after your claim is filed. Many things are discussed here as what to expect and what to do but I get the impression you haven't opened a dialog with your agent yet (no disrespect intended). As far as bike replacement values go your local dlr can be of help. When you're all done and have a check in hand and ready to purchase that new replacement bike, consider purchasing from your local dlr that has helped you through all of this.

I own the bike and have title in hand.

My agent is on vacation. I've left messages but apparently he's the only one who can deal with this claim and won't be back until next week. I'm just doing some background work for the conversation.

Thanks everyone. It's been helpful to "talk it out" on the forum and hear peoples experience. I'll let you know what happens when I finally get to speak directly with the agent next week.

Paul Mihalka

Interesting that you have to wait for the agent. Usually claims are handled by the insurance company and not the agent. Did you call the phone number on your insurance card?

I own the bike and have title in hand.

My agent is on vacation. I've left messages but apparently he's the only one who can deal with this claim and won't be back until next week. I'm just doing some background work for the conversation.

Thanks everyone. It's been helpful to "talk it out" on the forum and hear peoples experience. I'll let you know what happens when I finally get to speak directly with the agent next week.

A good time to sit down with the repairing dealership.

Ask them who pays for the little things that may appear after the bike is repaired?

How will they settle any issues you have about handling/feel etc. ?

Double check the estimate with them.

Is it covering everything?

Does it replace all ancillary bolts/nuts/washers etc. ?

You bought a new bike.

It should be the same wrt to safety as it was.

How does the repair effect any warranty issues?

Will anything not be covered due to it being "repaired/replaced" if you have a problem later on?

80% of the value of your bike is real close to the estimate you had.

It would seem like relacement may be a real option.

Talk to the dealer about what he has in stock and will be getting.

When will the '11's arrive?

See how eager they are to sell you a new bike compared to R/R the other bike.

Have answers to these and any other questions before you talk to your agent.

And, when you do, in a nice way let them know that waiting for him to vacation wasn't what you expected in your time of need and you hope you feel satisfied enough at the outcome to keep your business there.

Best wishes.

Well, when I wrecked my '09RT last year (had 5K miles on it -- 4K from one trip I took to the NE), I had only had the bike 5 months. The insurance company's adjuster figured it out to 7K, the local BMW dealership found a lot more damage than the adjuster did. The insurance company said they would approve any repairs. In the end, they paid just over 14K for repairs.

You can see a series of photos from the accident to the repair (including photos the shop took while putting it back together).

Man - crashing is bad enough and then...well...then there's all the trying to make it right again.

I'm really learning alot from everyone's experience. This forum has some great collective wisdom! Thanks guys for helping me traverse this part of BMW ownership.

I'll be off to speak with my dealer and mechanic before I chat with my vacationing adjuster.

And the riding season continues to fly by...

Archived