IGNORED

PaintGard?

Dave39

Is anyone familiar with this stuff? http://www.helmetheadcycle.com/product/3267/cycle-gard-paintgard-for-bmw-r1200rt

Couldn't find anything on a search here. I'm mainly concerned about the side cases. On my previous bike , as a newbie, I banged them up on a couple of slow drops. Haven't done it yet on new bike, but I worry. I'm not sure a thin PaintGard (3M Scotchcal Paint Protection Film) would prevent scratches on the cases if I do it again.

No, this type of film is designed to protect from light road debris in the course of riding, and maybe the occasional scrape against your boots when you climb on - not from a tip. Try BMW #71607693675

71607693675.jpg

Never tried them myself, but they surely would be more effective. I believe they stick in place.

-MKL

Thanks. I did see the BMW guards, but they appear to protect only along the bottom of the cases. I guess the real remedy is to keep the rubber side down. I've managed to do that for over a year now.

Dave -

Take a look here - I bought one of their kits for my saddlebags when I first got my bike (2.5 years ago) and the kit has done a great job. You can't tell the protection is on yet it has saved me from lots of boot scratches and other 'incidents'

Auto Trim Designs

Just a satisfied customer.....

Jim

DaveTheAffable

Well...The "McGyver" came out in me a couple years ago year.

Down to "Joann's Fabrics" I went. A local chain of fabric, arts, and crafts. All the way in the back of the store they had fabrics and vinyl for re-upholstering furniture.

"Hmm.... clear vinyl...ohh, some that's thinner. Oh, wait.... some that's even thinner... WAIT...some that's REALLY thin! And it's CHEAP....by the yard!"

I used some cardboard patterns, a "Rolling Cutter", and a couple hours later had fairing covers, and tank protection. A little water with a drop of soap in one gallon of water applies it.

You might think it falls off, but it doesn't. Just like any other vinyl you might put on glass or painted surface. But it does peel off easily.

I had some pieces on over a year before I peeled them and tossed them. Who cares? I spent less than $10! Several times I took them off, and re-applied them. Could you see them? Yes. But it worked.

Archived