IGNORED

Using a vacuum pump for brake bleeding

johnlt

Has anyone used one of the available small vacuum pump systems to bleed and/or change their brake fluid. I know about the speed-bleeders which are a simple check valve nipple but the vacuum pump allows you do do the bleeding/replacement from the caliper nipple.

I found mine to be a pain in the a**. Too much hassle with air leaking around the hoses and nipples. If you're doing your '07 RT the local dlr can do it for less than $100. In fact you can have my MityVac for the cost of shpg.

I tried Harbor Freight's version of the MityVac - more trouble than it was worth.

I saw an electrically powered vacuum pump that worked very well, though at a Tech Daze. Lotsa bucks for a DIY'er, I think.

Switched to the Speedbleeders - life is now good.

I use one frequently and will never go back to the old way of bleeding brakes. Used in conjunction with Speed Bleeders, they greatly reduce the time it takes to bleed a system. I don't find them messy at all. To the contrary, I found the old system of dangling a loose hose in an old jam jar or coke bottle to be a greater nuisance.

I've used my MityVac on everything from my servo-ABS R1200GS to a KLR250 to a complete drum to disc replacement on my boat trailer. Worked great and I'm sure it really simplified things for me.

Brant Herbert

I made an investment a number of years ago in a pneumatic extractor like the one linked to below (the canister on right). Use it on all my vehicles. Makes for easy, one-man jobs. Lock the trigger by flipping up the metal wire then just focus on working the zerk with your wrench (and keeping the reservoir full). Was a good investment, I think. < IMAGE >

John, I tried using my Hoover. It didn't work to well. :dopeslap:

Seriously now, I've always used my Mighty-Vac for all my bleeding. It works very well. Easy to control, easy to get the feel for how often you need to stop and refuel.

Archived