IGNORED

Best 'Bike Related Thing' for $50 or less

Shaman97

What have you bought for your bike(s) for fifty bucks or less that has been a real find?

It's an easier question once the $$$ get bigger.

I can't remember if it was less than $50.00 or not but it was right in there. A pinlock non-fogging liner for my face shield.

An awesome product!

An aquarium thermometer RTV'ed to my dash with the probe run out to the mirror housing. Less than ten dollars.

---

skinny_tom (aka boney)

A fake oil slick from Aerostitch.

Oh wait, that was for other people's bikes.

Nevermind.

Small squirt bottle of Plexus wrapped in a cut-and-quartered microfiber towel to tend to stuff like helmet visors and front windshield fairing stuff.

Okay. Toss in a CrampBuster thing too for the extra difference.

jazzy-

markgoodrich

Two different things:

THIS including the bits and pieces, less than $35, and THESE replacement bulbs for Motolights, much brighter, much longer life rating, about $20 shipped.

beemerman2k

BMWRT.COM sticker, which has prompted much conversation and some horn beeps from other riders. The BMWST.COM stickers are available now.

BMWRT.COM tee-shirts. Those have been great ice breakers at biking events, too.

Proficient Motorcycling, A Twist of the Wrist, Mondo Enduro (was free, thanks Eff) and their sequels.

LeftCoastMan

I got this Sidestand Foot for my bike. The GS version fits the RT. When the pavement is really hot, this thing works. Better than trying to find a piece of wood, or even putting it up on the center stand.

Charles Elms

Seat Jacks for the 1100RT. Cost of four longer bolts with my own shims. Best thing I did for the RT.

One of the most useful and cheap additions has to be my Throttle Boss . It's on its second bike now. :thumbsup:

I avoided the whole tequilla, hooker and cheap motel for less than $50 since it's not really bike related. :dopeslap:

well maybe not an annual cost under 50.00 but monthly cost around 10.00 for XM radio. makes my commute very nice, and those highway rides between the good roads more tolerable. since I found XM radio about 6 years ago, I have had it on my bike 100% of the time. when I go to visit my Dad I move it from the bike to the car, otherwise it just stays on the bike 100% of the time.

A fake oil slick from Aerostitch.

Oh wait, that was for other people's bikes.

Nevermind.

You're a bad, bad man! I like it...

I guess it would have to be the Alaska Seat Cover and the bungie-buddies.

RichEdwards

Being the parsimonious person that I am, I found this to be my best cheap addition:

958191979_vMkyX-XL.jpg

A one-dollar roll of electrical tape can provide a durable sunblocker to a helmet faceshield. It lasts forever and, since it blocks 100% of the sun's glare, works better than those other tinted paste-on things that cost about $20.

p.s. The two inch wide tape works best. Hard to find and more expensive, but a $5 roll from Amazon.com will do over 100 helmets. :D

OMG! I love this little $15 temporary wheel lug from Wunderlich. Never fight with your rear wheel again while you are remounting it. :clap:

958238211_oZbES-S.jpg

markgoodrich
Finding this board and it's peeps are the best thing that ever happen to my riding.....and it is mostly free.

:dopeslap:

Dang, once again Whipster comes up with the right answer. Why dint' I think of that?

Being the parsimonious person that I am, I found this to be my best cheap addition:

958191979_vMkyX-XL.jpg

A one-dollar roll of electrical tape can provide a durable sunblocker to a helmet faceshield. It lasts forever and, since it blocks 100% of the sun's glare, works better than those other tinted paste-on things that cost about $20.

p.s. The two inch wide tape works best. Hard to find and more expensive, but a $5 roll from Amazon.com will do over 100 helmets. :D

+1 only I used blue painters tape because that's what I had lying around. Lasts a few years before needing a 10 minute second application.

Next best thing was trimming the rear set bumpers of my R1100RT ~3/8". It was free and completely transformed the seat for me.

Throttle Rocker ($10?) and a grip sized O ring (70 cents) from the hardware store.

For me, the use of an aid to hold the throttle has become a necessity. I have the Throttle Rocker on my wee at all times. I roll it away if I'm in traffic. My hand is small enough to work around it too.

When I had an RT, I rolled an O ring up on the grip until it wedged into that little slot and it held the throttle for me. It was easy to move the throttle against it, but it worked like a charm as a cruise control. This tip came from a fellow on this board and saved my hand on a ride home from UT

GS Intake Tubes for my RT. Oodles more mid-range torque.

Talk to me. Where did you buy, how difficult to install, what was the downside (there's always a downside..) ?

My response to this question, involves some backstory.

I have both moto lights and Piaa's installed on my bike... (Obviously I think its good to SEE and BE SEEN).

At any rate, I was somewhat dissatisfied with the switches that came with each of the light kits and decided that I would find some switches that would provide a cleaner and more original-like fitment.

Searches through automotive and marine lighting sources came up with what I considered to be switches that were bulky and not much of an improvement over what I already had.

Then i came across these: cockpit photo

Look carefully! I have two pushbutton circular switches installed just above either side of the instrument cluster. right side is chrome finish left side is a flat black finish. both switches are illuminated and glow in a "blueish" BMW. I am very pleased with the results.

cost: $15-20 per switch

bling value: priceless!

GS Intake Tubes for my RT. Oodles more mid-range torque.

Talk to me. Where did you buy, how difficult to install, what was the downside (there's always a downside..) ?

Dunno if they would work on the Hexhead 1200 engines, or even if the GS tubes for the 1200's are smaller diameter than the RT tubes (like they are on the 1100's and 1150 oilheads).

On the 1100's there's a pronounced dip in the torque curve at about 3500-4000rpm. Once the engine climbs past that, the torque curve (and HP) resume their climb. But coming out of that numeric valley, the "hit" feels very unsmooth and gives the bike a cammy feel that is not in keeping with its assumed mission.

Replacing the RT's intake tubes with those from a GS (which are 2mm smaller I.D. and about 8" longer), fills that dip in the torque curve (the GS being a dual-sport, BMW wanted it to have smoother and more controllable power when ridden off-road), and give my RT that same smoother power delivery.

Is there an downside? Yes. Dyno charts (I believe you can still see them at ibmwr.org) indicate a loss of about 3-4hp at maximum rpm, as well as about 3-4mph off the top speed. Since I rarely have a need for 130mph (or 127, for that matter), it's a non-issue for the performance I gain in a part of the rev band that's right where I use it most.

Again, I don't know if it will work on the 1200's, but it did on the 1100's and to a lesser extent on the 1150's. About $50 back in the day. Today, maybe still less than $100.

What have you bought for your bike(s) for fifty bucks or less that has been a real find?

I've a few:

1. Ram mount for my Tom Tom GPS (w/brake reservoir mount & 5" arm) totaled about $35. Put the whole GPS rig cost at about $200.

2. Camelbak (fanny pack style). It straps around waist, holds 16-24 oz., removable bladder w/3' tube and several places to hold small items including separate zippered pocket. Found at Target for $20 or $30. Great for any ride over 2 hours cuz I get quite thirsty down here.

3. License plate renewal. Not so much a find as avoiding a fine but it makes most everything else useless without.

a oil cooler screen, under $10!! and very effective..

390096619.jpg

+1 Works great. Just bought one on eBay.

Got a link to Ebay location?.........

Archived