IGNORED

Best 'Bike Related Thing' for $50 or less

Shaman97

I have that same oil cooler screen. I made it myself (I used to have KLR 650 :) - KLR people did a lot of homemade farkling) using a pond filter that I got at Lowes. Go here or stop at the store. For $10 you get two 12 x 12 pieces. One blue and one black. Each is large enough to make two screens. The blue one seems to be a bit tighter mesh but the black is the same as the pictures in previous posts. I just made a paper template and cut around it with scissors. Install in minutes with no tools.

I paid close attention to the temperature after putting it in and there is no difference - even riding in the low 90's last week.

Hi..regards the tubes. were they from an 1150gs? Was it a simple matter of one off and one on. Appreciate your comments. Ian
Mine were for my 1100RT and were from an 1100GS. I believe the 1150's use the same part numbers on both bikes. The only difference is that because (I believe) of the closed-loop fuel injection on the 1150's, they will occasionally produce a backfire. Most don't. Some do.

Yes, it's simply a matter of removing one set of tubes and sliding in the others. Once the tupperware is off, it's about 20 minutes per side.

Here's a dyno chart from ibmwr.org which shows the effects of the GS tubes on an R1100RS (same as the RT). Notice the substantial dip in the torque curve around 3500 - 4500 rpm with the standard tubes. But with the GS tubes, that's gone. And that's the range we mostly ride in. It's truly a substantial improvement in driveability right where we need it.

RS-GS_intake_chart.jpg

• 1 month later...
carolinarider

I bought a set of used GS intake pipes from Beemerboneyard for $35.00..I don't know if they help with performance but I like the deeper intake sound (wouldn't quite call it a "growl" but it does sound better...)! and of course, Monkey Butt Powder!!

a oil cooler screen, under $10!! and very effective..

390096619.jpg

I used some black plastic gutter guard (available by the roll at Home Depot or the like) to make an oil cooler screen. It's flexible, and slips between the fairing of my R1100RT and the oil cooler, and nothing needed to be removed. I used the same stuff as the first mod to my Honda Fit last year, as the A/C condenser is in a vulnerable location, and an expensive repair.

• 1 month later...

Best < $50 mods on my '02 RT.

1. Made 3/16" risers for under the front seat support and trimmed the rear rubber bumpers about 3/16".

2. RAM mounts for dash and handlebars and Datel voltmeter in slot for radio display.

GPS1.jpg

3. Cigarette lighter jack inside glove box ( radio box ) for charging my cell phone and PDA.

4. 3M red reflective matterial on the backs of my bags.

RTreflectors2.jpg

5. Stainless steel strap loops on my bags. ( Bungie Buddies didn't work well with straps. )

Tiedowns3.jpg

Instead of opaque tape for a sun block I found this product, Sun Blocker, it does a great job and less than 20 bucks.

The sun blocker uses the same material in a fish tank shade. You can get a big sheet of that stuff for the same price. Just cut out your own shape, and use dish soap to install.

BeforeAfter_300.jpg

Alan

Stebel horn and foam grip covers.s

My two Stebels broke <3 months and try to get any service from the company. You and try and try and try. Plus they are NOT as loud as advertized although they are an improvement over OEM.

1. I buy Quantum coated sheet polycarbonate from US Plastics and make my own windshields. That way I can fool around with various designs for testing at 1/6th the price of new. $48 gets you enough for two shields and many crampbusters/throttlerockers. I now (after 6 prototypes) have a very nice windshield.

2. Bread knife to cut down stock seat to actually fit my butt. I trimmed the front narrower and added hollows to the back and tail bone relief too. Took off <3/8" off rear seat bumpers too. Now good for 2700 mile trip without excruciating pain.

3. HID low beam for $50.

4. Wally world halogens for $20 each (two sets of two eventually)

5. Extra rear view mirror mounted high on windshield $15 auto parts store.

• 2 months later...

I've got a new one. I ordered a used leather BMW auto head rest on eBay, and it works perfectly as a back rest on my RT for a cost of $30 including shipping. The struts slip securely between seats. The pad also swivels back if I want to shift back a little. Got the idea over at BMW Luxury Touring.

backrest.jpg

Archived