IGNORED

Shad SH-50 Case Review with Pictures

Natche

I just entered into the world of BMW motorcycles in June when I got my new-to-me 2007 R1200RT. I've had a number of Japanese motorcycles in the past with the most recent being a KLR650. My "new" RT came with almost everything, except a top case to I started to look and found the BMW cases to be obscenely expensive at $925 - even though they are made for the bike and are high quality. Nevertheless, I just couldn't bring myself to pay the fare and used ones were hard to find, unless you are willing to pay upwards of $700 used (see E bay). I am sure that had I been patient, I would have found a good used one for around $500 but let's face it, I'm not patient.

That's where the Shad case comes in. In searching for the BMW case I came across some postings that recommended Shad - both here and elsewhere so I began to look into it. I found a limited amount of information but what I found was very positive. Soooo... I ended up buying one. I ordered it from Cli-Maxridingear.com. I know, what kind of name is that for a MC site? But I called them and spoke with Terry (I think) and they seem very nice. Did I mention that they also had the best price.

Before placing my order, I called Shad as they apparently had a new mounting adapter come from Spain (where they make the cases) that provided a no hassle fit for the R1200RT's rack. They confirmed that it was indeed a new part and it would be in later that week. I called Terry at Cli-Max -ugh, what a name - and told him about the new adapter. He called Shad and added the part to his web site and I placed my order.

In about 4 days, I got my new Shad case. I ordered silver to match my bike and it appears to be a great match. Missing however, was the new adapter. apparently Shad hadn't received it yet and they would ship it out the next week. Well, here I am two weeks later and still not adapter. Every morning I walked past that great looking case and wanted it on the bike so bad. My 40 minute commute gave me an opportunity to devise my own plan for mounting it. This past Saturday I put that plan to work, crafting a adapter that fit under the RT rack out of 1/4" aluminum plate. From start to finish, including making templates and cutting and grinding the aluminum and mounting the case it probably took me 3 hours. Not bad when you consider I also made a trip to the hardware store for some longer mounting bolts.

Anyway, I took out the new rig for a spin today and I would say I am very pleased with this case. It looks like it was made for the bike and seems to be very high quality. I like that I can open the case without the key (unlike the Givi's). Here are a few pictures to show how it looks. I will probably swap out my adapter for the Shad adapter when it comes.

Shad case - A - high quality and good looks and design

Shad customer service - D - answer your phone Binetto!

Cli-Max service - B+ - eal nice people from Waco TX

Cli-Max name - well, we won't go there

Overall I am happy now that it's on my bike.

5185.jpg.9fc045b72131943d9b4534dbf5fd4b83.jpg

That's the exact case and adapter I am getting for my bike.

Supposedly it will arive at my dealer tomorrow (8/3).

Theoretically I am getting the first adapter in the US. You should be getting yours soon! I've been waiting almost 4 weeks for it. The case looks great, I hope the silver looks good on the blue RT.

Paul

Wow, that looks great - like it was made for the bike. Who knows, you may find that your home-made adaptor ends up working better than the one you are still waiting for.

I'll stick with my OEM case since its paid for and all, but you did very very well.

Jay

is that a 46L, 52L etc size?

Yes, it's a 50L. I can fit two full face helmets in it very easily and one of them is a modular, which I have found to be a bit wider.

The pictures I posted really do not do it justice. I had to reduce the resolution so much to post them that it looks grainy. The finish is very nice on this case.

Theoretically I am getting the first adapter in the US. You should be getting yours soon! I've been waiting almost 4 weeks for it. The case looks great, I hope the silver looks good on the blue RT.

Paul

Let me know if/when you get your adapter. I still do not have mine yet.

Your link to Cli-Max doesn't work for me. Is this correct: http://www.Cli-Maxridingear.com

sorry, my mistake - it's www.cli-maxridinggear.com

two "g's"

My adapter arrived today but FedEx wouldn't deliver it without a signature. I signed the slip and will get it tomorrow. I will take more pics and post them later this weekend.

Paul

Let me know if/when you get your adapter. I still do not have mine yet.

Sorry, got it Tuesday. Fitted it Tuesday night. Very sparse English intructions. You will only need to use the long bolts and spacers. Look at the drawing carefully. Still took less than a hour.

Can you provide the new part number for the adaptor base that mounts to the R1200RT. The documentation doesn't mention the R1200RT - only R1150RT.

I'll be ordering that adapter.

Thanks,

Scott

Can you provide the new part number for the adaptor base that mounts to the R1200RT. The documentation doesn't mention the R1200RT - only R1150RT.

I'll be ordering that adapter.

Thanks,

Scott

The Shad part number they gave me was W0RT19ST, for my 09 R1200RT. It fit fine.

Paul

• 11 months later...

That DOES look nice on that bike!

Mine's basically silver, too, so am going to have to take a real close look at that one!

Thanks for the info & the great pics.

Looks great, good buy! I tried to buy a shad case last September. The importer said Shad was tough to work with... never know when they'd ship. I'm still waiting... In the mean time I found a BMW dealer who offered a deal on a OEM 49 litre. C'est la vie....

MotoRider2011

Tried to buy this case but apparently is Shad best seller not only for this bike but for other brands as well, last week I received an email from Shad to let me know SH50 is available, I was on waiting list but I decided to buy the SH48 their new model, the difference is only two liters and has double backrest...just beautiful.

Tremendous service from this guys, if you call ask for Angie very nice lady she will help you find a dealer and if you mention the forum she may help you get a better price!!

No tel info on their website but you can find it on their facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/shadmotorcases

• 1 month later...

Shad is the supplier of some but not all the BMW cases. I believe that they make the Vario cases and a couple of others but not the RT cases. I've had the SH-50 for about a year now, excellent case and rock solid when mounted.

Shad is the supplier of some but not all the BMW cases. I believe that they make the Vario cases and a couple of others but not the RT cases.

Indeed. They also supply the collapsible cases for the K1200R, F800R etc, as well as seats for most of the BMW range.

Does anyone else have any issues with the mounting rack coming loose? I also have the shad 50 mounted to my 2011 rt. The instructions were straight forward and initially the mounting bracket fit snug up against the oem rack. However, after several rides, the rear right metal piece that holds the mounting rack pivoted towards the middle. The case then doesn't fit tight against the oem rack and bounces during rides. The bolts are not loose, but with the metal piece pivoting, it is possible to lift the case about 1/8 of an inch off the oem rack.

Any suggestions....

Are you using the RT specific Topmaster kit with the 4 plates under the stock rack?

I just ordered it and an SH48 for my new to me 2010 RT. I'd have it mounted already but the case was delivered damaged. I should have the new one delivered before the weekend and am anxious to install it.

Yes, I'm using the topmaster kit with the 4 plates. The throttle side, rear plate over time actually pivots. When it rotates, it no longer fits snug, and the kit becomes loose.

I used two strips of 1" x 3/16" (nominal) rubber self-stick (one side) padding on either side between the plate and the rack on my installation, primarily to protect the rack from scratches but it also serves to eliminate vibration and keep a snug fit. I've never re-tightened it after the first week and I've had it over a year now. I tightened it snugly but was careful to to over torque it.

I did notice that the back portion of the plate tended to bounce a bit as the bolts tend to hold the forward 2/3 of the plate so I added another both in the back center. To do this I had to drill through the rack, which I didn't want to do but I figured the extra security was worth it. It holds rock steady now. If I ever remove the case and plate I will just add a small plug there.

I noticed when I did a dry run to check the fit that if the captive nuts were on top of the plate, with the tail end of the reaer plates angled down,it would move around. When I flipped them over the rear plates were pretty well locked ito place.

I've got some adhesive foam strip used for pickup truck bed toppers that I intend to use. I used it on my FJR rack for another Shad case and it worked well.

Archived