IGNORED

Passenger Seat Options

Robus

Hi all. I'm riding a 2010 R1200RT that I bought about three weeks ago. I'm finding it to be a pretty comfortable bike. The problem is that my wife is not happy with the stock seating arrangements.

The stock passenger seat seems to want a more forward-leaning position, which I suppose is appropriate for a sport-touring bike. However my wife prefers to lean back against the backrest/luggage trunk thingie and needs a seat that gives more support for that position.

I'm happy enough with the rider's seat and don't want to change it for the time being.

Can you recommend some options? Are there pads that might accomplish what she is looking for? If so I would rather explore in that direction before I consider buying a new heated seat (which she may decide after a few rides doesn't quite fit her delicate fanny either...;-) She is an athletic 5'8.

A related question: Has anyone tried the Alaska Leather sheepskin butt pads, either for passenger or rider?

Thanks!

You'll hear about many here that will praise the Alaska sheepskin, myself included.

My wife also was wanting a more comfortable seat, (her problem was soreness after 6-7 hour rides, not really complaining about the sitting position) so I got her the Airhawk seat pad, which now sits beneath the sheepskin. No more complaints.

It's hard to explain it, but I believe that the Airhawk concept also helps with the sitting position.

I would also use it myself, if it didn't raise the seat height.

Maybe if i grow up a bit it'll work, but at 51, I'm not too hopeful that will happen.

I have the Alaska sheepskin, driver and passenger, for my 06 RT. They are a help with seat comfort especially when it's hot. My advice however, is don't spend a lot of time and money chasing a solution to the stock seat. Just admit to yourself you're going to replace it and start looking. I won't even go into what I have now because there's plenty of documented options that you're probably already aware of. Unless they've improved the 2010 stock seats, "fixing" it is like polishing a turd. By the way, we still use the Alaska sheepskins on the new seat when it's hot. Good luck.

Archived