IGNORED

Mount for Zumo

Gerard

I finally received "clearance" fom my better half to purchase a GPS for my 1200RT (08). Based on a few conversations in this group, looks like the ZUMO 550 may be a good choice for me. I know that I need to install a mount and not being especially "handy" with tools, any suggestions on an easy but solid way to install a mount and which one... As always, much appreciated...

~ Gerard

I have a Zumo 550 on my '07 RT and love it.

I have a very simple RAM ball mount that replaces a 8mm bolt where the handlebars mount. LINK

For power, I use the left accessory plug. Then I use earbugs that plug into the Zumo base. An extension on the earbud cable is not nessessary, but good thing to get.

For the future, I plan to add a 12V plug up near the mount for a cleaner look.

The pro's of this mount is that you can completely remove the mount and unit very easily, very little vibration and cheap.

The con is that the unit is a little low for some riders and may not be visible behind a large tankbag. I personally like it low and not in-my-face.

Here is the first thread I always post when I read the "How to Mount a Zumo" question...

http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php?topic=2798.msg22843

read the whole thing...

incidentally, my zumo is no longer mounted in any fashion shown on this thread. I now use the mount from the standard BMW Nav III set-up. Stable, Firm, clean, but probably difficult unless you already have the mount (like I did).

Gerard

Take a look at the BMR Co-Pilot Shelf linky

I have the BMR shelf on my 2007 R1200RT with my Zumo 550 mounted and it does not vibrate at all.

The vertical stabiliser arms keep it still, no matter what the road surface or speed.

Importantly it places the GPS at a convenient level to view the GPS screen without taking ones eyes too far from the road ahead.

I also use the speed indicator on the GPS rather the bikes speedo to ensure I stay within the speed limits.

Also with the BMR there are lots of options to add your extra gadgets.

Expensive but excellent.

I am still very happy with it after nearly 2 years.

+1 for the BMR mount. I had the Migsel mount which attached via the two screws on top of the dash, but found that my Zumo vibrated more than I liked. I coughed up the coin and went with the BMR mount not only for the added stability, but I also like the additional "shelving" which I use for mounting the XM antenna.

The last I checked, BMR was out of stock for the '05-'09 RT, but it's only a backorder. It'll be worth the wait :clap:

I use the BMR mount as well and love it. I have a Streetpilot 2730 which I fasten to the GPS tilting mount on the BMR co-pilot shelf.

I also bought a 27330 specific GPS mount that fastens to the tilting mount but has a method to lock it on using a small specialized fastener so I do not need to worry when I leave it unattended on the bike.

I have been looking to get A Zumo 665 but can not seem to find a lockable mount except for Touratech which is too damn expensive.

Anyone know of a lockable mount?

Archived