IGNORED

Aux Fuel Cell

frenchwv

I have an '04 RT and I am in the market for a 4-5 gallon fuel cell. Does anyone have any recommendations? Please post or send a pic with how you have it mounted if available. Thanks.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

There was a guy on advrider.com that did a cell on the top box rack. He welded it up and it looked ok. I would be a bit concerned about tail wagging the dog steering though. That's a lot of weight very far from the cm of the bike.

I had a similar thing on a KZ1000P and each time I put my leather jacket in the spare room in the radio box it'd develop a high speed weave/wobble. This could be worse as it takes longer for the fluid to move.

I have also thought about this for Outback travel and have decided that if I need the extra fuel, I will take it in a safe container that I can throw away when it's empty. I just don't want to be bothered with the plumbing.

Is there a reason that you need the cell fixed to the bike?

Is there a reason that you need the cell fixed to the bike?

Mainly for competitive rallies. Ideally, I would like to be able mount it for a rally and then take it off later. I may just go with a customized tank and have it fabricated. Any recommendations for a customized tank?

DavidEBSmith
Mainly for competitive rallies. Ideally, I would like to be able mount it for a rally and then take it off later. I may just go with a customized tank and have it fabricated. Any recommendations for a customized tank?

http://www.blm-accessories.com/FuelCells.cfm

http://www.sampson-sporttouring.com/

I think you'll find that a custom tank is more expensive than adapting an off-the-shelf one. And as occasional rally staff, I can tell you that if you're in a rally that does tech inspection like the IBR, showing up with a custom tank will complicate your life, because we recognize the off-the-shelf tanks and know how much they hold, but anything custom or odd-shaped is an unknown as to capacity and has to be measured, which can be an easy or hard process.

"...which can be an easy or hard process..."

This statement seems to beg a footnote:

"Do you feel lucky, punk. Well do you?"

I'd go with the fuel cell, if I were you, because you can never tell when Ebby might be in town.

I installed a 3.5 gallon (3.0 usable) Tour Tank on a Bonneville America to add some distance. The install went smooth but it was not fuel injected so tapping a line was easy. The tank was mounted on the luggage rack which happened to be just the right height to gravity feed when the main went dry (it would empty into the main). My intention was to be able to quick disconnect the tank on and off but I got so used to having the extra distance I left it on. I took the tank off when I traded the Triumph for a DR650 and had planned to mount it on the DR since it only holds a couple of gallons. The Tour Tank served well and if the Triumph had a few more ponies I'd still have it and not an R/RT.

Archived