IGNORED

Should I replace my battery?

Albert

I leave in 3 1/2 weeks for a trip west. Around 5000 miles in 2 weeks. I have the original battery in my 06 RT and it turns over ok but I'm not sure I shouldn't just replace it. In my opinion the RT never spun over with any great vigor so I can't really notice any degradation. Should I just go and not worry or am I on borrowed time?

hmm......~5 years on it. I'm guessing you are right on the hairy edge of needing a new one. With that age on it, I know I wouldn't trust it through the winter. I think I would go ahead and do it as preventitive maintenance and then forget about it for another 5 years.

Al, that is a tough question. If the ABS lights do not blink alternately after starting, I would say you are good to go (probably).

If you want peace of mind, then replace it MHO :wave:

Yea I'm kind of getting the feeling I'm being a cheapskate in trying to squeeze more out of it. Is it really worth the worry when you're on a trip? Probably not.

Better safe than sorry champ... can't hurt anything (except maybe the budget for your upcoming trip).

The original battery on my 05 died without notice on a cold winter evening afterwork. That was 2008. It sucked.

On the other hand, if you travel with some jumper cables... might make for an interesting ride tale in the future.

I tell you what...

I just replaced the battery in my Triumph and this outfit provided me superior service and the battery is excellent. Ordered on a Monday, installed it Wednesday... plus free shipping. Chose the China made AGM.

I do not normally recommend vendors because each experience is unique, in this case I can be pretty confident... FYI

http://www.batterystuff.com/batteries/motorcycle/

Yea I'm kind of getting the feeling I'm being a cheapskate in trying to squeeze more out of it. Is it really worth the worry when you're on a trip? Probably not.

I'm a cheapskate myself and went through the same thinking process before a long trip 2 years ago on my '05 RT. I got by without a new battery, and in fact I am still using the factory battery to this day. Seems to still work just fine, but I do carry a set of small jumper cables just in case...

Jay

Whenever I ask myself that question; Should I replace my battery?.. I do it.

Long ago I was a passenger on a bike that had a dead battery at 3:30AM in Chicago. I never saw a need to get every ounce out of a battery after that. I also have always strived to keep my bike on a battery tender, year round. The heat sucks the life out of them, or so I am told.

Cannot wait for your ride tale Albert

I faced the same question earlier this year when I was getting ready to head to California for the UnRally etc. I put a new Odyssey in. I did not want the aggravation if the original failed on a long road trip. Relatively inexpensive preventive maintenance, I concluded.

Whenever I ask myself that question; Should I replace my battery?.. I do it.

Long ago I was a passenger on a bike that had a dead battery at 3:30AM in Chicago. I never saw a need to get every ounce out of a battery after that. I also have always strived to keep my bike on a battery tender, year round. The heat sucks the life out of them, or so I am told.

Cannot wait for your ride tale Albert

Gee Kathy, I sure am happy that you survived 3:30 AM in Chicago to tell us about it. :clap: New battery for sure :thumbsup:

I replaced the original battery on my 2005 R1200rt with about 63,000 miles, just a month or so ago. It always started but at times if the bike needed a second push of the starter it seemed that the battery was a little weak.

Finally decided, better safe than sorry.

One additional benefit is the bike seems to run slightly better. With the original battery the bike would idle roughly at times, this seems to have gone away with the new battery.

I would replace before your tip, and hopefully forget about it for four or five more years.

Thanks all for the feedback. In the end I decided it wasn't worth the worry and have replaced it.

Chicken :grin:

Guilty. :wave:

It's difficult isn't it? I have several bikes and never gave my K1 a thought until it started playing up. The original battery lasted eleven years! Now that is value for money. My worst is barely 6 months on a different bike, for the original battery.

I did some engine work on another bike and fitted a new battery. It struggled to turn the motor over so I bought an Odyssey, which hurled it into life for two years before turning its toes up. I had kept the other battery charged occasionally, put it back on and it worked fine for three years. Once run in the motor didn't put up so much of a fight.

I don't think there is a solution to battery life. Just have to stare until either it or you blink!

Archived