IGNORED

Shark Evoline 2

ChuckS

I've had my shark for 15 months now. I love it!

1st the bad....the shark is heavier than most other helmets. I got used to it.

The shark is probably somewhat noisier than a fullface helmet.

The good....Nothing beats being able to open the helmet up and keep on riding! Too hot, open up. Grabbing a drink, a bite, or making conversation, open the helmet. The visor and sun shield both work well. Rain?close up, lower the visor!

I did put speakers in the helmet, but had to carve the foam out to do so. Not a big deal and I made the speakers fit exactly where I wanted them.

I use this helmet everyday now. I spent a week on the road with it. When I got home, I removed the pads and washed them. The guys at work started calling me Speed Racer :grin:

I bought an Evoline 2 several months ago. I like it, though I notice the weight as compared to my other helmet, which is carbon fibre. The flip down sunshade is handy and the fit and finish is top notch. I did not try installing a headset, as that's in my other helmet. That said, I can't say that it looked particularly easy to do on the Shark. I bought mine on EBay and the transaction went very smoothly. You have to be careful to ensure you're getting the Evoline 2, with the improvements, and not the original.

Rob,

When you carved out the space for the speakers, did you have to cut into the plastic behind where the pads snap in? Or??

Thanks!

I wear Arai Profile helmets because their long-oval shape fits my old head perfectly. I saw the Evoline 2 at my dealer, and I wanted one badly. I tried one on (I wear a large Arai, but with the Shark medium was a better fit) and I felt pressure on my forehead. The parts manager said that is the biggest complaint they get about the Evoline 2 -- that is creates a "hot spot" on the forehead. I considered getting one anyhow and trimming the liner, but fortunately I convinced myself not to do that!

I have been looking these helmets for a few months now. Have my eye on a new white Wayer which can be had for ~$370 at Competition Accessories and Helmet City. The standard colors ~$300.

LeftCoastMan

I just switched from the Shoei X.11 to the Shark Evoline 2. I had been looking for a modular helmet that was easy-to-use, met all the safety standards, was truly modular (the helmet was fully function even with the chin bar up), and had other features that were an improvement over a standard helmet.

Here are the good points:

1. When the chin bar is pushed up and to the back to create an open-faced helmet, the helmet actually looks and functions like an open-faced helmet. The face shield moves down, and the helmet appears to have a cool looking spoiler on the back. This is a much better design than nearly all other modular helmets out there.

2. Includes a sun shade. For me, this was almost the big point, because I don't have to carry extra shields for different sun conditions. The sun shade is effective even in the brightest of lights, and can be flipped up when it turns dark. Once I was riding from afternoon to night with my Shoei. I usually change the face shields, but forgot to bring the clear shield, and I had to ride home with a very dark shield. I had to lift it up and put my windshield in the top most position, but still bugs found their way into my face. NO fun.

3. Meets DOT requirements in both full-face and open face mode.

4. In full face mode, there's a little more room around the mouth, almost like those off road motocross helmets. Almost.

5. Noise levels are actually better than my Shoei.

6. This isn't an advantage, but the Shark fits about a size larger than a Shoei. So if you get an XL in a Shoei, you need an L in a Shark. At least for my head, this is so.

The not so good points:

1. Everyone says its heavy, and it feels a bit heavier than my X.11. I haven't noticed it while riding some longer distances.

2. I'm not pleased with the fit and finish. The first one I got, the chin bar got stuck on the top of the helmet and it required two hands to pull it back down. Not a good thing while riding. The dealer quickly replaced it, overnighting a new one to me and not charging me for the old one, just trusting me to send it back. Revzilla rocks. The replacement one works well, but I really have to force it to lock the chin bar into place. I'm not sure if that's a defect or intentional.

I have had no problems with my Shoei X.11, and I believe it's one of the best, safest, and well-designed helmets on the market. I just wanted a modular design for when it's hot, and when I need to speak to people. The thought that I could drink some water or coffee while riding is intriguing, though I'm not sure I'm going to do that.

I was undecided whether I wanted to move away from the X.11, until I read the reviews on the Shark. I'm glad I got it.

I just got a new lid. I have always worn modular, so looked at the Shark. I think the ones I saw were all the Evoline, as opposed to Evoline 2. But apparently there is at least one similarity:

The Evoline is one of the heaviest helmets on the market. Per Web bike world, the Evo 2 weighs even more.

The Evo rated 4 Stars on Sharp, with a 70% rate of chin bar success in impacts. 4 stars is good, 70% not so much. I haven't seen the Evo2 (and not yet rated on Sharp), but if the chin bar mechanism is the same, I would say that you could apply that 70% across the board. You might try to ask Shark if they upgraded the chin bar mechanism on the Evo2.

I found the Evo chin bar mechanism to be very clunky, and unwieldy. Again, I don't know if they changed it. That and the weight were the primary reasons I rejected the Evo helmet, despite the fact that I really liked the fit (especially the chin space).

Overall though, I really like Shark, and their helmets rate great in Sharp and on Web Bike World. Also, they and AGV are the only two manufacturers that the helmets are the same in the EU and the USA, so you can use the Sharp ratings confidently.

Now, on another point: Get rid of those speakers and get some noise isolating earphones, really.

LeftCoastMan
I just got a new lid. I have always worn modular, so looked at the Shark. I think the ones I saw were all the Evoline, as opposed to Evoline 2. But apparently there is at least one similarity:

The Evoline is one of the heaviest helmets on the market. Per Web bike world, the Evo 2 weighs even more.

It doesn't bother me at all. It's not like the Shark weighs 20 lbs, and all other helmets weigh 4. It's a small difference, and I am skeptical that can matter. And yes, I've ridden long distances with my Shark, and notice nothing. Maybe I just have a thick neck. :)

The Evo rated 4 Stars on Sharp, with a 70% rate of chin bar success in impacts. 4 stars is good, 70% not so much. I haven't seen the Evo2 (and not yet rated on Sharp), but if the chin bar mechanism is the same, I would say that you could apply that 70% across the board. You might try to ask Shark if they upgraded the chin bar mechanism on the Evo2.

I think the lock has been improved. There is an audible click when it's in place. But then I checked around at other modular helmets; for example, the Shoei Multitech had a 3 star rating (side impacts looked really bad), but an 83% on the chin bar.

I found the Evo chin bar mechanism to be very clunky, and unwieldy. Again, I don't know if they changed it. That and the weight were the primary reasons I rejected the Evo helmet, despite the fact that I really liked the fit (especially the chin space).

Well, I'm going to have to beg to differ. That's why helmets are a personal choice, and it's really hard to make broad generalizations. Lifting up the chin bar is a piece of cake. It does flip all the way to the back of the helmet, which takes a bit of time. Putting it back down is a breeze, but you have to lock in the chin bar. It sometimes takes a couple of tries to get it locked. I don't like that, but I'm used to it.

Overall though, I really like Shark, and their helmets rate great in Sharp and on Web Bike World. Also, they and AGV are the only two manufacturers that the helmets are the same in the EU and the USA, so you can use the Sharp ratings confidently.

I agree.

Now, on another point: Get rid of those speakers and get some noise isolating earphones, really.

I completely agree. Seriously, I don't understand why people use speakers. They don't block out the rather loud ambient noise AND you have to play the music louder to overcome the noise. You're just going to go deaf, if you ride a lot. Well designed earphones (even without active noise isolation) prevent deafness. PERIOD. They block out ambient noises, so you can play the music at a lower level, reducing harm to your ears by a lot. But bad decisions happen throughout the biking community.

OK, So I hear ya... though not at good as I once did. I tend to wear ear plugs on the freeway and longer trips... That said, help a brother out, how do I connect my autocom of ear buds? What are the best type?

Thanks,

Chuck

LeftCoastMan

I rejected some of the proprietary systems mainly because they used speakers vs. in-ear sets. However, I just looked at the new Autocom website, and they list this set. It's inexpensive, and allows you your choice of in ear headsets. Almost makes me reconsider Autocom, but then again I just plug directly into my Garmin 550. And that's all I need, since I refuse to talk on the phone while riding and I ride to get away from people calling me on the phone. :D

OK, So I hear ya... though not at good as I once did. I tend to wear ear plugs on the freeway and longer trips... That said, help a brother out, how do I connect my autocom of ear buds? What are the best type?

Thanks,

Chuck

Aside from the newer headset loom mentioned in the post above, Autocom also supplied a cable for older units that had a small box into which you can plug in-ear speakers. many of us here use in-ear speakers made by Arizona Al of this Board. They work quite well.

Looking at a new lid. Best buy?

Thanks,Chuck

Try them all until you find one that fits well. I must have tried on nearly 50 before finding one(!) that fit my apparently oddly-shaped melon. Hopefully you can find an inexpensive one, unlike me. :cry:

If you want an unbiased comparison for various aspects, especially safety, try http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/. Kind of a Consumer Reports-style ratings system for helmets.

Now, on another point: Get rid of those speakers and get some noise isolating earphones.

I completely agree. Seriously, I don't understand why people use speakers. They block out ambient noises, so you can play the music at a lower level, reducing harm to your ears by a lot. But bad decisions happen throughout the biking community.

In some states, it's illegal to ride or drive with both ears plugged/covered. You have to be able to hear those ambient noises like sirens, horns and squealing tires to safely operate a vehicle. Thus, I use speakers. The sound quality is less than optimal with all the wind, road an other noises. Not my first choice but a safe and legal one.

Archived