IGNORED

Recommend Sun Glasses for Riding

Rotor

Several times now I've been in the mountains looking toward the sun and riding into shaded areas/turns. I find I’m almost blind entering the darker shaded area. The sun glasses I use are nothing special but I use them because they offer good wrap-around eye protection and the arms don’t hurt my ears under the helmet.

Can anyone recommend a good pair of riding sun glasses that offer better vision in these conditions? I’d like to keep the wrap-around style if possible.

Thanks,

FWIW, I usually have two or three pair of eye wear / sunglasses with me on a trip. I have not found the perfect pair, (not even sure they exist). I like to change eye wear with the changes in the conditions.

I wear dark sunglasses to block the sun when its overcast or there are lots of

shady splotches on the road, I prefer to wear amber lenses. pretty sure you can find amber lenses on wraparounds

I too have a couple pair. I buy the 'motorcycle' sunglasses that have a cushion/wind block around the perimeter of the glasses; not sure that really does anything.

I do make sure they are Polarized, and are comfortable while riding. Other than that, it's a price thing since I usually go through a pair a year. Something around twenty bucks does it for me.

I'm about ready to try the Scorpion EXO 1000 helmet with the built in shaded visor. Could do without the sunglasses at that point.

I have tried maybe 30 different sun glasses and found them all wanting in some regard. What seems to work best overall is sunglasses, visor, and a flip up helmet and even then there are "blind" moments. Perhaps "transition" sunglasses? But then I have heard that they take a couple seconds to lighten?

Transition lenses don't change inside a faceshield--UV filtered out. Also polorized lenses can keep you from seeing wet spots and tar snakes on the road as hazards. I've also got an internal sun shield inside my helmet for the time of day that extreme shading is needed. I've found that the sunglasses plus sun shield plus faceshield is just too much plastic in front of my eyes. My compromise is to lower the internal shade halfway and then move my head up and down depending on sun angle and how well I need to see at that moment.

The time it drives me crazy is going through a bunch of trees with a low sun coming from the side. The strobing glare on the faceshield is brutal. Even when the deer come out to show me where the edge of the road is, I have problems.

---

Believe it or not, I've had good luck with the workman's sunglasses one can buy at Home Depot or Lowe's, or your local hardware store. They are shatterproof, polarized, inexpensive, available in a variety of styles, and readily available. They are as good if not better than any of the expensive "motorcycle brand" sunglasses I've used, are actually much more rugged, and are cheap enough that it doesn't pain you when you drop them (about $30-40 per pair).

-MKL

I do make sure they are Polarized,

Polarized sunglasses under a clear shield can cause problems- some sort of interaction between polarization on the glasses and something in the shield.

I don't know the why, but I know the result- the road "shimmers" a bit when I have on polarized lenses and drop the clear visor on my Arai. I'm trying to find glasses I like as much that are not polarized for that reason.

I know that it doesn't address the question, but I have found the sunlight/shade transition best addressed with the flip down sun visor of my Shuberth C2. Perhaps other makes with flip down visors work as well.

jonzn

I avoid polarized for m/c riding. They can make fluids on the road transparent, like diesel fuel, at just the wrong angles.

Considering your complaint, which I have in the twisties as the sun rises, I prefer a flip-down sunshade on my helmet (Nolan N102 for me). I can drop it just enough to keep the sun from blinding me while allowing me to tilt my head up in shaded sections to see better.

I have long been a fan of Ocean Waves glasses. Their polarized lenses have given me little distortion under a face shield and their UV qualities are excellent.

Designed for fishing, they kill the glare without being so dark that your pupils are not overly dilated allowing extra UV in to damage your eyes. I can spot stuff under the surface of shallow water (like golf balls) much easier, etc.

In interest of disclosure, they were once a sponsor of a couple events I promoted so my first pairs were free, but I have been buying my own pairs since 1995 and believe them well worth the expense.

I really appreciate that so many took the time to reply.

I already push the visor up and put the windshield down; then, I usually pull the sunglasses down on my nose and peak over the top rim of my glasses while I hold my left hand up to my helmet to block the sun. :S

I too recall reading something about the polarized glasses causing problems; but, I'm at the point that I'm willing to try a pair.

MKL - I may take a look at those from Lowes/Home Depot.

Matt - Pulling up Ocean Waves now to check them out.

Again, thanks to all

DavidEBSmith

I don't know how you guys are riding with polarized sunglasses. One time heading out on the bike I grabbed a pair by mistake and had to ride around with my visor up and the windshield down. Looking through the visor, or looking through the windshield, every wet or oily patch in the road and most car windows were like a '60s flashback.

Polorized lenses just don't work for me behind any type of plastic shield. I have worn Serengetti Aviators for at least the last 20 years. They are Photo Chromatic (get darker and lighter in shade and bright sun), and the tint is gradient (darker at the top and at the bottom). They have the "classic" aviator butterfly shape, which fits my face well, and blocks the wind. I really like the slim temples, they fit under my helmet well. They ARE glass. I think that plastic is probabable safer if a stone happens to hit the lense. You can find the Serengettis at many online stores. One with pretty good pricing is this pilot store. Another thing that is nice with the Serengettis is the ability to buy parts. You can order new temples, nose pads, and screws from Serengetti.

From a flight surgeon:

I have experience this on my bike...blanking out of cars..

Polarized lenses should not be worn by pilots in the cockpit. Glare from flat surfaces is blocked by polarized lenses which are oriented in parallel lines like closely spaced prison bars. Light parallel to the lines is transmitted while non-parallel light (glare) is blocked. Unfortunately, if the windscreen is polarized and the lenses are not precisely oriented the same as the windscreen, all light may be blocked. Changing bank angle and head position could create blind spots. For those who are boating and need glare protection from light reflected off the water, polarized lenses are excellent choices.

All your replies are probably well intended. I wear whatever sunglasses enhance my already incredible good looks regardless of the sun protection.

It is better to look good than to feel good, and I loook maahvelous!

Polaroid sunglasses give me an itchy perception like it is going to rain. I've always wondered why?

An absolute must for me is a long dirt-rider peak (kind of makes you look like Donald Duck) with vents so as not to catch the wind. Shades your eyes and face all the time and when the sun gets low, your long peak cuts it right off right down to sunset angles if need be.

Ben

Giving away my secret.... I carry three pairs of these http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/smitwesmagsa.html

Dark Grey for bright days, Copper for those inbetween days with shadows and trees, and Yellow for night. They are comfortable in helmets, adjustable, come in regular and a smaller size (which Susan loves), and very inexpensive when you by a few pairs at a time. I get at least an entire season of abuse out of them, then the temples start to pull apart where they adjust. A spot of super glue when you have them in the correct spot stops this from happening. With that change, I get two to three years out of them before I drop them and scratch them too much to wear. Non polarized, so no weird things with the face shield or on the road. Have a good time shopping.

I don't know how you guys are riding with polarized sunglasses. One time heading out on the bike I grabbed a pair by mistake and had to ride around with my visor up and the windshield down. Looking through the visor, or looking through the windshield, every wet or oily patch in the road and most car windows were like a '60s flashback.

Without being cheeky, wear better sun glasses. Much like a polarizing photo filter, they can do it different ways with different effects.

The OW Brazils that I wear with backwater green lenses and tortise frames have been awesome for me. I would check with them and see about a return policy if they don't work out.

Eebie, buy a pair of those and if you don't a) look better and b) see better, I'll buy them from you. Tortise with green lenses though. I have my standards!

AVOID POLARIZED!!!

it changes the color of the LCD or blackens it out completely depending on angle..

also ive noticed they really show lots of rainbows through the windscreen and face shield, im nit using polarized anymore on the bike

I do highly reccomend a amber / driving color of lens!! really saturates the colors.

I have a pair of Serengeti glasses that I love for riding and driving. They have a brown tint that is good in both bright light and low light. The only thing I worry about with them is they are glass. I would prefer a plastic lens for the break resistant feature. My son tells me Oakley are the most break resistant lens made from Putanite from the planet Krypton.

Matt,

Sent PM.

Thanks to all. I'm trying to check-out all the options offered. Have a trip planned starting on the 28th and I'd like to have something by then.

You've got these Transitions type visor guys too.

SHIELD Transition Helmet Visors

Problem is they've been around nearly two years now and have yet to get anything on the market. They had one Yamaha dealership in the midwest - who never got product either. They may as well kill the website.

jazzy

Can anyone recommend a good pair of riding sun glasses that offer better vision in these conditions? I’d like to keep the wrap-around style if possible.

Thanks

Well, I've been a huge fan of Serengeti Drivers since the 80's. I won't leave the house w/o them. I have had 3 pair in 25 years. I have always worn full face buckets. Even run a dark shield at times here in the Sunshine State. Been wearing contacts forever and my eyes are quite sensitive to the light (it burns! :grin: ) as a result.

They run about $100 and you can actually find them at, of all places, Wal-mart :eek: . Online too. They are polarized and photochromatic.

I am a believer in layering. I wear bifocal POLARIZED glasses under a dark smoke shield WITH an additional dark tinted band on the inside of the shield.

The advantages to me are:

- as an occasional migrane sufferer I completely avoid the triggering flash of reflections from car windshields or Harley chrome,

- in full hot sun I can close up inside a nice shady helmet without risk of blindness or sunburn,

- the additional inner strip is above the sightline and offers double advantages. I get addtional forehead protection from the sun and if I tip my head forward I can look into bright areas,

- the bifocals let me read my tank bag map, or my radio/Autocom controls, and

- I can control the amount of protection by raising or lowering the shield.

BTW, I have a clear set of bifocal glasses which I can put on at dusk so I don't have to change over to a clear visor.

Polarized glasses looking thru a plastic face shield and wind shield keeps me entertained when on long stretches of straight-a-ways. Blacks shift from green to purple depending on head angle and which part of the lens you are looking thru. Funny when black horses appear.

I was heading west out of Show Low AZ in March at the wrong time of the day. I have never been so uncomfortable on my bike before (except for those devil winds on 1 near Big Sur). The sun was straight into my face, and I ended up riding with a hand up for almost 1/2 an hour. I hope arai comes out with a built-in sunscreen soon. I hear some folks use electrician's tape across the top of their face shield at these times.

Although it won't replace sunglasses, my solution for sun glare is as follows. In the auto accessories store I bouught a small package of tinted plastic film designed to block the sun on auto passenger windows. It sticks to glass by static cling and peels right off. Cut a strip 1 or 2 inches wide, long enough to wrap around the inside top edge of your shield. Press it in place on the inside of your shield along the top edge. Use 2 layers if you want it even darker. It is very effective when riding into the bright sun--kind of like wearing a baseball cap, but does not interfere at other times as it is positioned above your line of vision. It does not help if the sun is right on the horizon, but for a few hours right before sunset it is very effective.

I wear prescription sunglasses- Wiley X AirRage (WX Z87-2) if that means anything. They have a solid frame that fits in all my helmets nicely (straight earpiece thingy), have removable form insets for around the eye ports, snap on straps for around the head and a loose hanging strap thingy.Can be made to any prescription or regular lenses. Good customer service (had to send first pair back for better placement of prescription. They do seem to slighlty distort the view---but that may be from the prescrition!! I love tham...wear 'em every day.

Check them out.

Archived