IGNORED

Using Higher Capacity Battery Maintenance Charger

Haynes

I've had a new 3600mA battery maintenance charger given to me. I'm guessing that it's safe to use on my bike batteries as long as the batteries are not too flat.

From my understanding, if the battery is in a reasonable state of charge, the charger will only supply the current necessary to maintain full charge making it safe.

Am I correct in assuming this?

Hi Haynes

The “only supply what the battery needs” part only works for the actual charging stage.

A lot of battery maintainer type chargers have multi stages with some having a high output dedulfation stage, some having a held voltage varying current stage and some having held current varying voltage stage.

I can’t say what you have there with that charger.

I guess my suggestion would be to look up the name/model/type of the charger and it’s intended usage. The manufacturer should state what type of battery or batteries it is suitable for, type of desulfation cycle if any.

A 3.6 amp battery charger shouldn’t kill your battery if the charging algorithms are correct for your battery type and battery size.

A real high voltage desulfation cycle can hurt a Gel battery if used enough so you really should see what your charger does and when.

Haynes,

+1 on what Dirtrider says. You need to know what that charger is designed to do. I would want to know if the charger had an "EQUALIZATION" mode? I also feel that to be safe, put a charger on a battery for a set period of time to get it up to a reasonable charge and remove it. You can't cook a battery if you are not connected.MHO

...I guess my suggestion would be to look up the name/model/type of the charger and it’s intended usage. ...

Thanks dirtrider, I managed to find the manufacturers instruction booklet on their website. It clearly states "suitable for small and large batteries" and it describes the various charging modes. Fortunately the charger is made less than 10km from here and I will call them just to make sure that it's okay to use constantly.

...You can't cook a battery if you are not connected. ...

That makes good sense to me. :thumbsup:

Archived