IGNORED

Who is using a Cee Bailey's?

Lmar

I'm considering buying a cool/cold weather windshield. I am looking for one that offers more body protection, is reasonably quiet and will direct the air over my head. I prefer to be looking over the shield when I ride.

Wondering how many of you are using a Cee Bailey's. What dimensions would you recommend? I am 5' 11" tall.

5' 11'..2004RT...believe the clear CB i use is the euro 2.5". have been riding with it since 2005. protection based on raising/lowering. only time i have it up is during heavy rain and it deflects rain quite well. rarely do i look thru the shield when riding.

oh, it's great a killing any airborne critter.

I'm about 5'10" and I have a Cee Bailey on my 06 RT. If memory serves mine is +1 height and +2 (or maybe +3) width. With the electric windshield I think I could have safely gone with the same height as stock which would have allowed me more air flow in hot weather but it's not a huge deal. I definitely notice the reduced buffetting in the shoulder area with the increased width. I too like to have a view just over the screen and the CB allows this to be adjusted to eliminate the helmet buffetting. I've been happy with it but I have only the stock shield to compare to so take it for what it's worth. Good luck.

I am 5' 6", with what little height I have in my trunk rather than my legs, so the seat is in the lowest position. I initially ordered a Cee Bailey #2 +2.5", and immediately shipped it back, as it was too low. Exchanged it for a Cee Bailey #2 +4.5" which would probably have been just right with the Euro cut. I have since cut it down by about 1/2", more in the center than the corners, so the top profile is halfway between regular and Euro cut. My goal was, on a road with a steep elevation change, to be able to see the road horizon over the top with the shield all the way down. On flat highways, I raise it about 1-1.5". While you can achieve an approximation with static measurements, road trips are really required to determine an optimal height -- as little as 1/4" can make a significant difference.

Cutting down a shield that is too tall is easier and takes less time than exchanging one that is too short. Even though I used white cotton gloves when I handled my first Cee Bailey, and was absolutely sure that I was returning it in mint condition, they were a PITA about return/exchange). Acrylic is relatively soft, so it's easy to cut, and using progressively finer sandpaper grits (last sanding should be wet sanded with 400 or 600 grit) will give you an edge that is indistinguishable from the original.

Needless to say, cold/wet protection is outstanding, although gas mileage probably suffers by 1-2 mpg or so due to the extra width and height.

I am 5' 6", with what little height I have in my trunk rather than my legs . . .

I didn't know you had a trunk Selden. :rofl: That probably explains your need for the oversized screen. :wave:

I have an '04 RT so my input may not carry over to the 1200 RT. I am around 5'11" and I have had a +3 1/2", +4 1/2", and I bought a + 7" just to see what it is like. I would consider the + 3 1/2" the minimum height to go with. The + 7 is too tall, I cut it down and run it in cold weather. The most important thing I can offer is to get the EURO CUT! It really works as advertised. It allows the "quiet zone" that some shield offer when up enough that you have to look thru them, without looking thru it.

I bought my +7 Cee Bailer (I'm 6'3" tall) after a sub-zero ride from Utah in 2008. I made the mistake of putting the stock shield back on for a ride to California in 2009 because I thought it would be too hot. To the contrary, I missed the tall shield for it's protection from dust and bugs, rain and early morning chills.

The tall windshield is fantastic and I keep it on permanently. As an all-season rider here in the Pacific Northwest, I know it is possible to experience all four seasons in a ride of a few days.

I have had no issues with cracking. The reduction in buffetting and wind-noise is immediate and interesting, as sometimes you need only adjust the shield by 1/4" to experience a change.

An additional benefit, in the photo below you can see my +7 protecting my GPS, Satellite Radio and bullet camera, even in a lowered position.

IMG_2700.jpg

I am one of the short guys who bought a CB windscreen years ago for my '99. Think it is 2"taller 4" wider, or maybe vice versa. Been so long ago, it works great for my needs and in the riding conditions I experience, rain, snow, sleet or hail. And, no bracket has broken. Go figger.

Get the widest and tallest available, if cold/inclement weather protection is what you're after. I am 6'0" and have this from CB (mine is 27" tall, 24" wide). Although the height may seem like overkill at first, just wait until you hit a frog-strangler on the slab. You'll be glad you can raise it up to where you HAVE to look thru it--because at that height the rain is deflected *over* your helmet instead of down on it, dripping behind your face shield, etc. Not fun. When the rain quits, lower it back down--thats why the RT has an adjustable shield!

As for width, same story--more stuff is deflected around you. About the only time I wish it was a couple inches shorter is in 90F + temps at low speeds. Other than that, its great! :thumbsup:

Hmmm, I find the CB to work the best during the rain with it almost all the way down. This allows the rain on the face shield to simply blow off with the wind.

I have a CB on my 08 RT. I got it 2" wider and 1" taller. It works very well for me. I'm 5'10" and I set the windshield so that I can look over it. I also had the CB on my previous 1100RT. I would highly recommend it.

Hmmm, I find the CB to work the best during the rain with it almost all the way down. This allows the rain on the face shield to simply blow off with the wind.

I don't get enough wind on my face shield with the CB--even in the low position--to blow the drops off. But in the high position, in *heavy* rain, I don't get ANY drops on my shield to need blowing off!

I am 5'11" and have a Cee Bailey +2.5 Euro cut on my 1999 RT. Works really well, great rain and cold protection. Much better than stock. Can still get it low enough to get some air flow on those few HOT days, like this weekend, we have in the PNW. If you wanted a little more protection without raising the screen as much you could go with a +3.5. Though I can easily get the wind to the top of my helmet and still see over the screen. Like many bike things though everyone's experience may not be the same.

Whatever size windshield you decide on, plan to upgrade the upper arms that support the shield. They WILL break!

I even managed to break one of the lower ones!

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=55661&Number=615123#Post615123

I've had a +6 + 4 CB shield on my RT for over 100,000 miles and had no problems with the arms.

Ah, but you don't have a Hexhead Bob - they are the ones with the minimal design arms that will only take the OEM screen without breaking.

Andy

Archived