IGNORED

Direct-wire power for Radar, GPS, etc.

Shuffler

Any tips on the easiest place to access a switched wire to use one of those plastic 'direct wire' snaps to get power to accessories, and doing it without having to remove bodywork?

In this case, I'm wanting to use the 'direct wire' kit that came with my V1 radar detector and avoid using the clunky lighter plug and BMW plug adapter I'd need to plug into the dash on my '98 RT.

Any wiring behind the dash I could use? Wondering if they pre-wired these bikes for heated grips (mine doesn't have them), but there is a blank rocker switch on the panel that is next to the ABS & Hazard rockers...

Thanks.

Actually those connectors are called 'T-Taps', under the 3M Scotchlok brand name, if that helps with trying to understand my question.

I'm thinking I could just snap a T-Tap into one of the wires coming from the bar controls (shield, signals, etc.) or a hot wire behind the dash if I can find one.

perhaps I'm finding answers to my own questions...since my bike has no factory stereo, I think it is 'pre wired' for one...I've located a 2-pin (blk/red wires) plug and a brown wire with a female disconnect (for...?), both zip-tied down below the glove box.

I presume I could use these...any thoughts?

So I got it done. Put a Scotchlok on the red pos. wire for the stereo harness, and crimped on a spade and plugged that into the brown neg. connector to power the V1.

Didn't think it'd be a hot connection (not switched) ... but no big deal for me.

I could probably tap into the same circuit again to hardwire a GPS when the time comes; my thinking is that a radar detector and gps can't overload that circuit more than a stereo/cd player & speakers would.

DavidEBSmith

There's also a purple and something wire near there, also for the radio, that is switched when the ignition is in the Lock position. The red wire powers the factory radio memory, the purple wire is so you can play the radio with the ignition off.

If you want something switched with the key on/off, you can tap into the power for the little bulb under the headlight.

Archived