IGNORED

Garmin map question

SinNH

Garmin 60 CSx and the map is Topo US 24k Northeast, Garmin map.

I usually can get thing working when adding software or hardware, but--

This is the second time I have loaded the DVD into my PC (Windows 7) and after downloading about 3 GB, I can't find the maps, no matter where I look. I see that the download took about 3G's on my HD.

Any ideas ?

Steve

Hi Steve

It should tell you where it is going when you first start the download process.

If you have your 60CSX hooked to the computer look in SD card on the 60. Otherwise look in the Garmin folder on your computer or any secondary drives you have hooked to your computer. Garmin stuff likes to go to SD cards or other peripherals by default.

Can you find the new map in the MapSource map drop down box? If installed on the computer correctly they usually show up there.

Keep in mind on that 60CSX that when you install one map on the 60CSX it will displace or write over the other map that is there. You need to put the maps on one MapSource session then put them on the 60CSX SD card as one install. Unlike other GPS’s the 60CSX uses the SD card for the map folder not the main drive on the 60.

Hi Steve

Can you find the new map in the MapSource map drop down box? If installed on the computer correctly they usually show up there.

Yep that's where it is, in the drop down box just where it should be, sometimes I think I should stay away from some stuff, not even sure how I'm going to use it now we found it,,, thanks,

Steve

Hi again Steve

That 60CSX can take both City Navigator and your Topo map if you have a big enough SD card. You will have to use the map selection tool in MapSource to put all the map segments on one map then transfer that to the SD card on your 60CSX as one big map. Or just remove the SD card and use your computer to go direct to the card in the “correct” map folder. Easier to not screw it up if you leave the SD in the 60 and do it that way.

Things to keep in mind.

The 60CX and 60 CSX have rather small viewing screens with low resolution so in my estimation topo maps are somewhat useless on the 60CX series.

If your topo has the same mapping areas as your City Navigator you will have to go into the 60CSX menu and turn off City Navigator maps for that area then turn on the topo. If you have them both on at the same time the viewing will get real screwy at times as one will overlay the other.

If you ride with the 60CSX I don’t think those topo maps are routable , at least mine aren’t. It’s difficult to get a good road route on a non routable Garmin map.

The topo does work pretty good for hand held hunting use or Geo catching just remember to disable the City Navigator map segments in your area when using the topo maps.

I have both a Zumo and a 60CX, I like the 60 CX much better for off roading as it handles tracks better, has better track back ability, is much better in off road routing, has a great chip in it that will even work under a thick tree canopy for miles on end, is sealed from the weather, water, and dirt better than the Zumo, is much lighter than the Zumo, you just can’t break it even in a heavy fall. The down side is a small low resolution screen, poor back lighting, difficult to see in the sun, has small buttons. The 60CX/CSX also doesn’t accept real routes as it only takes in points so the sent route must be more precise with more points to not re-calculate to something different than what you want. It’s my favorite off road GPS though.

One thing I should have mentioned above. I do have a 3 State Topo map on my 60CX but as I mentioned above the resolution and screen size make it pretty useless to ride with. The reason I have it is “if” I ever have to walk out of the deep woods or the “way way back” area with no roads or trails showing on the City Navigator I can switch to the Topo to use the terrain as a guide to get out especially at night or if there are a lot of terrain obstacles in the way to get out. I would hate to walk a couple of hours on the GPS heading only to find an un-crossable river in my path that I could have avoided if I had a Topo map available.

Acording to Garmin, Topo USA is not set up to load on your hard drive, you have to use the CD/DVD. It only loads the "support application", not the actual maps. There are a few ways you can fool it and get it loaded on the HD but you have to mess with the basic operating system registery. I did it once but not sure I could do it again.

Acording to Garmin, Topo USA is not set up to load on your hard drive, you have to use the CD/DVD. It only loads the "support application", not the actual maps. There are a few ways you can fool it and get it loaded on the HD but you have to mess with the basic operating system registery. I did it once but not sure I could do it again.

My Topo USA loaded on my hard drive with no problem via the DVD (Topo U.S. 24K Northeast). I also really like the Base Camp software that came with it and use it more often than their MapSource.

Also, per another post above, it also allows routing on my Garmin.

Archived