IGNORED

Anyone using a Nolan N103?

Willie

I currently have a N100E that needs replaced. I like the price and options of the 103, but I think my n100 is noisy, has poor ventilation, leaks, and the visor pivot system sucks. I've replaced the pivots 3 times in 6 years and it's currently not working properly. So, has Nolan addressed these issues with N103? If not, I think I'll try to find a closeout Shoei X11.

Hi Willie

I had two Nolan 100E’s, currently have a well worn 102 that I use daily in cold weather or if there is a better than fair chance of rain.

The current 102 isn’t much quieter than the 100E was but I do like the chin piece latch much better than the old difficult to use 100E.

I am in need of new helmet by cold weather so like you I have been looking at the 103. I have tried a few 103’s on and they feel a fair amount heavier than the 100 and 102. Lots of parts to rattle around on the 103 also.

I really don’t care for the internal sun shield on the 103 and sure didn’t like the external on the 102 so removed that first thing.

I’m really thinking of buying another 102 as there are some real good deals on the 102’s and my present 102 has not had any problems.

I have a 1st gen N100, Caberg Justissimo, HJC SyMax, and N103. The N103 is the favorite. Whatever else is good or bad about a Nolan the ratchet chin strap adds 10 value points for me. Almost as valuable with the N103 is the sunshield on the inside and the one-hand flip-up is lightyears better than the N100. I can't imagine what Nolan was thinking with the N102. Haven't found a helmet yet that will keep water out in a frog-choker, the N103 keeps water out for maybe 5 minutes in a downpour. My N100 had few problems and those simply by aging. The pivot was never replaced in 8 years (one pivot cover blew away). The shield kept water out less and less over the years. The N100 shell cracked where I attached a Chatterbox (after several years). I have a Nolan head. Tried a Shoei on once and it didn't fit as well so another reason for me to stick with Nolan. If a Shoei will fit, I'd give it a shot just for grins, they're quality helmets and too many people like them for them not to be good.

I have a N103. Moved to it after a Schuberth C1 and C2. The Nolan isn't as quiet as the Schuberths were but all other aspects are better in my opinion. "All" of the internal padding comes out for cleaning and also makes it much easier to install autocom speakers and mic. I cut down the internal shield to just about 1 1/2 inches with black tape over it and use it when riding into the sun as a "visor". Excellent helmet.

Harry_Wilshusen

My only complaint with the N103 is the external size/shape.

With the n100 and n100e I could fit 2 mediums in the 49 liter topbox. The n103 has an elongated nose to accommodate the center flip mechanism and doesn't conform to the shape of the topbox. Now only 1 helmet in it.

It's worth the trade off.

Harry

I've had two 100Es and now a 103 - didn't like the idea of the external visor on the 102.

The 103 is OK and I'll keep it, but if I were looking again, I'd shop around more. I find the 103 louder than the 100, and my internal visor keeps inching down on bad bumps... pretty annoying. I thought it was just my unit, but I've looked at many on display, and all could made to do the same thing by jiggling with a downward motion. I'd advise you try the same test before buying.

Fortunately, the internal visor is removable.... too bad the wind noise is not.

Paul Mihalka

With the Nolan 103, did anyone try to ride on a real hot day with the sun shield down but the clear shield up? Specially on a bike with a big shield, like a RT. Looks like a good idea.

I have a Nolan head. Tried a Shoei on once and it didn't fit as well...

That's the most important point. It doesn't matter what the reviewers write; if a helmet doesn't fit your head, it's not a good helmet -- for you. I'm on my third Nolan, and have never had the slightest mechanical issue with any of them. I love the up and back motion of the flip up part, the two small opening click stops for the visor, the steel-on-steel latch system, and most of all the seatbelt buckle-style strap system. But if the helmet didn't fit my head, it wouldn't be worth diddly squat.

Nice. I usually ride with tinted safety glasses and the visor up. With the visor down, I feel like my head is in a plastic bag with the 100e. Even with all the vents open, I can't feel any air. I may even be able to ditch the shades all together with the 103 then.

ride on a real hot day with the sun shield down but the clear shield up?

I've found that the 103 outer shield on my particular hat will not stay up past about 40mph or so. The breeze will push it down.

Hi John

Did you mean the N-102 with the external shield? The 103 has an internal shield as far as I know.

That’s why I removed the sun shield on my N-102. Passing truck at 80 mph at night would guarantee it would deploy and block out the road completely.

Paul Mihalka

OK, John and dirtrider: Who has a N102 with the dark shield on the outside, and who has a N103 with the dark shield to flip down from inside the helmet? ;)

Hi Paul

Per my post above “That’s why I removed the sun shield on ‘my’ N-102” so I have the 102. I’m not sure about John, that’s is why I asked if he might have meant the 102 instead of the 103.

I think what John was referring to was leaving the clear shield up and using only the internal sunshield on an N103.

I have the same thing happen with my N103. If I try to leave the clear shield up, it will get blown closed (with a really loud bang) once I get up to 35mph or so. It happens even sooner (and with a louder bang) on my N43.

This may just be a result of my head position or how the air flows over my bike, so it may not happen for others.

Hi LMiwa

OK, that makes sense. I originally didn’t read it that way but in going back and reading it again with what you said in mind I can see that now.

I had the same problem with my N-102 when riding fast on a windy day with the clear shield open. It would either rattle like crazy or slam shut on me. I filed the shield’s last notch deeper and more to the contour of the retention pins and it hasn’t caused me any problems since.

Not a real big deal as I usually close the clear face shield at very high speeds anyhow.

Paul Mihalka

Right now I have a N102 without the stupid dark outer flip-down shield. I carry a full dark shield and replace it when needed. If I get a N103, which I probably will, on hot days I might fully remove the clear shield. Just in case, to carry a spare shield there is nothing better than the shield protector pouch Effbee sells!

Just in case, to carry a spare shield there is nothing better than the shield protector pouch Effbee sells!

An old sock makes a great shield protector, and it's hard to beat the price.

In all this (yes, I meant the clear outer would shut, sorry for the confusion) there was no mention of the pinlock anti fog shield. Mine has, after about 10k miles/8 months of use, scratched around the edges where it will contact the outer lens and the surface has some sort of peeling. I thought at first it simply needed cleaning, not so. It needs to be replaced. It's also a PITA when water gets between the pinlock and outer shield. It's not a factor of the helmet/shield, but rather the pinlock. I really like it (the p/l) but it's not as effective for me because my glasses still fog. Shield cleaning is no longer a quick wipe process. Now it's disassemble the screen, remove the pinlock, clean the inner smoke, outer clear, pinlock, reinsert the pinlock and put it all back together hoping the pinlock doesn't crack.

It's not as bad as all that really, but it's not as simple as a single shield anymore.

BluegrassPicker

Looks a like a good replacement for my 5 year old N 102, if I can install my speakers in it :thumbsup:

I REALLY like the shield change mechanism.

• 1 month later...

i like mine i have used it about a week now! look good, lots of features, good price (with pinlock included)

havent been able to compare to other flip ups) but i find i need to wear ear plugs with this one..

get a headache riding with my friends Harley from the exhaust noise

I find that I prefer wearing good earplugs whether I am riding with my N103 or my Arai. I used to ride without and I think that I can actually hear what I need to hear better with the custom plugs.

We have a pair of the N-103s. They are 'very noisy' in comparison to the other pair of Shoei Multitechs they were to replace.

We added the n-Com II stereo set to them and found it is pretty much worthless in volume at speeds of 50+ mph with the additional wind noise generated by the helmet. Ten miles on the freeway and my ears were ringing. Use earplugs and the audio of the n-Com was worthless cranked all the way up.

The Bluetooth was a pain when it goes dead on the road. Needed to search for a place to plug them in and sit for 3 hours while charging. Pairing was at times difficult so we hardwired and found that to be an improvement and the sound sounded much better too.

With the excessive noise problem of the Nolan, we went back to the Shoei Multitech and it is much quieter although we are also again hardwired which we had hoped the Nolan would get us away from. I loved their chin-strap retainer system and the internal shield was nice too. A bit heavy though.

My personal one-rider helmet is the Shoei X-12 series if I had to chose on quiet alone in my stock of 12 helmets and it flows a good amount of air too. No more sore spot on the forehead like my older ones were prone too either.

jazzy

Archived