IGNORED

BMW tankbag leaks - is it supposed to?

Sailorlite

The map pocket portion of my tankbag leaks. The enclosed paper map starts to get pretty soggy around the edges. The bag's inner compartment however seems to stay dry thanks to that roll-up rain cover.

Obviously I can simply remove paper maps from the map pocket when I expect rain, but is that really what BMW had in mind for their fancy RT tankbag?

I agree, and the only thing really unique about that bag is the plastic mounting system. I got one when I bought one of my RT's and sold it soon afterwards, and got a Touratech. I mean, for $350---how difficult would it have been to construct the entire thing out of waterproof material, including the map pocket, instead of having that "trick" inner lining?

I guess I shudda done what some others here did: remove the mounting plate and install it on a "real" tank bag. And toss what was left.

OK--rant over, lets hear from everyone who loves their BMW bag now.

It may not be working as designed for some reason, I have used mine through torrential rain many times and the map has always stayed dry. Are you sure you are carefully folding the lower lining and securing it all the way across at the bottom? If so, then maybe it is defective and can be replaced under warranty.

I have one and I agree it's a poorly thought out design with the exception of the mounting system. A big box with a plastic bag inside. No addtional compartments, external or internal (execpt the little zipper sleeve inside the flap). That said I do use mine when on trips and, given my wife's list of travel essentials, I do appreciate it's size. :grin: If it wears out I'll do like lots of others and use the mount for a different bag.

I'm really enjoying mine. The bag is roomy and the mounting system is just plain cool. I haven't exposed it to torrential rain just yet.

malcolmblalock

I agree with Albert's comments. Neat mounting system, but not much other than that. My map pocket is absolutely useless; it's completely yellow. Absence of pockets is a bummer.

May try to remove the bag and install another tankbag onto the mounting system.

Archived