IGNORED

PIAA 1100 bulbs

outpost22

Just thought I'd share this. When I first bought the RT 5 years+ ago, I installed the PIAA 1100 series lights on it thinking it was the way to go. Since then, I have found better alternatives. Anyway, one of the bulbs burned out after 13 months. Yesterday (4 years later) the other one burned out. Has anybody else experienced such dramatic bulb life differences?

And no, I will NOT spend the money for the PIAA bulbs. I've seen them from $35-$50.00 each.

Instead, I just squash the original MR16 lamp and peel it off of the PIAA lens cover. Replacement MR16 bulbs are $4.95 and I use a high temp sealant to mate the 2 pieces back together again. One of these bulbs is now 4 years old and counting.

It just is a shock to me that 2 bulbs mounted in the same application should show such a life disparity.

I've been looking at aux lighting for my GS, and have come to the conclusion that PIAA is not in the lighting business, they're in the *bulb* business. Reminds me of the folks that make the ink-jet printers. :mad:

Alternative suggestions from anyone?--not looking for night riding range, but rather for daytime recognition.

I had PIAA's in my headlamp assembly and they both burned out right at 18,000 miles, just as the OEM's they replaced did. Brighter? Yes, Longer lasting, Not for me.

On my '04RT with 1100x under the oil cooler, both burned out within 2 weeks of each other. I found cheap OEM replacement bulbs on e-bay for $25 each. A rip off, for sure. Now I run HID under my oil cooler, in self contained ballasts that are no bigger than 1100X. One HID assembly complete is $80, so all told much cheaper than a set of 1100X new. We'll see how long they last.

-MKL

Moshe, what kind of HID's do you have? Is that $80 including the housing--or just for the bulb/ballasts? This sounds like something that might work for my GS. But I am completely ignorant about HID's and aux lighting in general--I need help. :dopeslap:

This is good--thanks! Do you have the flood or spot? I am looking for daytime recognition so am thinking flood would be the way to go...

Is the ballast built in to that housing?

Archived