IGNORED

Mapsource

Rotor

How do you plan a route in Mapsource when it doesn't show the roads you know are there - and have actually been on before? I've tried the highest resolution and still nothing. I always have a time with this software.

Hi John

If the roads don’t show on the MapSource map then you have problems. You can’t auto route over non existing roads unless you use direct routing and that means you need to know exactly where the roads are. It’s no different than using a paper map without the roads you need on it.

Are you using the latest 2011.2 mapping? If not maybe the latest maps have been updated to show those non existent roads.

Otherwise maybe something like the Garmin Topo USA maps or a State Topo map that shows the area. Keep in mind that a lot of local Topo maps don’t support auto routing though.

If you know certain map features like river crossings or other things you can find on the map then you can add waypoints at those locations then just wing it from where your road route ends. If there is only one or two roads in the area and you have waypoints to navigate to then you shouldn’t have any problems.

I run into this all the time in planning routes off road on service roads or two tracks. I either need to pre ride it then use the tracks to make a direct route or just ride the tracks as a route “won’t work on a Zumo”, or ride to pre entered way points using the compass for direction to way point and current position on the GPS.

Are you saying that NONE of the detailed street level mapping displays? Or just that certain roads you know exist don't display but other lesser roads do display? If the latter, I'd say you need to update your mapping from Garmin $$ .

Check the basics:

1) Do you have an advanced map installed (City Navigator or equivalent) and is it selected?

2) On the "View" pull down menu, deselect "Basic Map Only" if checked.

3) On the "View" pull down menu, be sure that "Map Detail" is set to "Highest".

Can you describe the roads that you cannot see? If you have some imaging software, perhaps you can post a picture of what you are seeing. Others can then compare what their Mapsource shows.

First, thank you all for trying to help.

dirtrider,

I may be able to create waypoints that might work. If I can figure out how to overlay another map for reference I’d feel better about having a reliable route.

Bob,

The roads display, it’s just some of the more minor roads – the ones we seek out to ride – that are not displaying.

SageRider,

Thanks, I checked all of that. My version is “City Navigator North America NT 2011.1” which is selected and the Map Detail is set to Highest.

Haynes,

The two roads I’m struggling with presently are in the Great Smoky Mountains area of North Carolina. Where 129 runs into 74 there should be a road that runs from Topton to 64 near Franklin. The road is called Wayah Bald Road, more commonly known as Wayah Rd. I’m sure many of you are familiar with it and I’ve been on it at least once myself. The other road is just north of Lake Lure and Chimney Rock where SR 9 and 74 intersect. It is called “Bat Cave Road and Old Fort Road” and runs north east to I 40. I’ve never been on this road before but I’ve seen it on other maps so I’m confident it’s there.

I get a lot of my roads from “motorcycleroads.us”. Check it out if you haven’t seen it. It is very informative with highlighted routes of varying degrees of difficulty for roads all over the country.

I think Wayah shows up for me. See attached file that is a screen shot.

I wonder if your monitor resolution might be a problem.

5216.thumb.jpg.4898b3d536063fc1bfefffc79b2843a5.jpg

For fun, try entering Find Places > Address and enter

Number: 7000 (for street #)

Street: Bat Cave **Do not enter Rd or Road! Select Bat Cave and then select Bat Cave Rd under that.

State: NC

Find.

For some odd reason, Mapsource takes the entry of "Bat Cave Rd" and renames it as "Bat Cove Rd" (an "O" instead of an "A" i.e. cAve becomes cOve) when you type the complete name for that area. Watch that error! Appears to be a "Find Bug" error in newer 2011.20 too. If it's renaming CAVE to COVE, you won't find anything.

Old Fort Road is shown joining Bat Cave Rd just S.W. of that 7000 address number.

jazzy

I'm running City navigator 2011.2 and both roads show for me: Coordinates:

N35 16 25.0 W83 40 56.1 - US 74 and US 19 and Wayah Rd

N35 09 41.3 W83 27 23.5 - Wayah Rd and Patton Rd

Nice road!!!

N35 31 24.5 W82 14 56.9 - Old Fort Rd and Hwy 9

N35 37 00.4 W82 10 26.9 - Bat Cave Rd and Old Fort Sugar Hill Rd

I'd like to tag on a question, if I may. I have lifetime updates for my Zumo, but does this entitle me to Mapsource base map updates too?

Mapsource is free. I believe that includes the base maps. (Never played with Mapsource when I did not have at least one detail map set loaded.)

I have the lifetime upgrade option now on my GPSMap376C, which allows me to download the City Navigator maps into Mapsource, and from Mapsource into the GPS unit.

Hi Limecreek

Yes, sort of, the world base maps never change it’s the City Navigator that you update. You get to install the new C/N on both your computer and your GPS. But you need to connect your GPS to your computer to do so as the GPS is what your updated map unlock code is keyed to .

The latest map updates allow you some choices such as GPS only or MapSource only, or both. With many older GPS’ like the Zumo 550 only holding part of the new very large map update on the main drive it is much easier to manipulate the mapping into the GPS and it’s SD card if only instilled into MapSource first.

I usually just install into Map Source then transfer to the GPS and SD card from MapSource later.

One thing you really really want is to have matching mapping on both your GPS and on your MapSource. If the maps on the GPS don’t match your MapSource and you make a route in MapSource it can sometimes cause to GPS to have hissy fits as the roads are not the same between MapSource and your GPS.

The reason I asked is I updated my Zumo this morning to 2011 indicating a download to my Zumo and PC, but when I open MapSource I only see the 2010 version where the Zumo indicates 2011.

Where did I go wrong?

Hi Limecreek

In the MapSource box where you see the 2010 version listed there should be a little down arrow on the right of that box. Click on that then see if the 2011 is listed. If so click on the 2011 and that will show in the box. You might have more than one map installed so you should have choices in MapSource.

If you have any old routes stored on your computer that you made on an old map set you really should re-calculate those in the new 2011 MapSource map before sending to the Zumo. Check the route length before and after the re-calculate to be certain the length remains the same. If not the route got changed between the maps so look at the route to see where it was changed before using.

That is the issue--the software is not available in the drop down.

All previous versions are in there, but the 2011 is missing.

Sorry for the hijak!

Hi again Limecreek

Well then it sounds like for some reason it didn’t download onto your computer correctly.

Not a big deal, just hook your GPS back to your computer, then download it again. This time be sure to click advanced on the lower left on the install screen then check the box “install on computer only”

pokorskij

I’m working on it. I’ll look at my settings, but I don’t recall ever having this problem before.

Jazzy

I’ll try that also and see if it works. If not, SageRider provided the Lat/Lon that should get me where I want to go.

SageRider

Thanks for the numbers!

I got it ALL back and all is well. It was my error in the settings but I didn't know which one it was. Guess I just kept overlooking it. Finally saw it, tired it and all the roads appeared. :clap: I have no idea how it got that way as I don't remember changing it. None-the-less...

"Haynes,

The two roads I’m struggling with presently are in the Great Smoky Mountains area of North Carolina. Where 129 runs into 74 there should be a road that runs from Topton to 64 near Franklin. The road is called Wayah Bald Road, more commonly known as Wayah Rd. I’m sure many of you are familiar with it and I’ve been on it at least once myself. The other road is just north of Lake Lure and Chimney Rock where SR 9 and 74 intersect. It is called “Bat Cave Road and Old Fort Road” and runs north east to I 40. I’ve never been on this road before but I’ve seen it on other maps so I’m confident it’s there."

These roads should show up at a 2 mile setting on Mapsource. If they do not, call Garmin and get in the Q.

Gil Horsley

Went to 2011.2 last night and noticed the latest GARMIN downloader is not particularly intuitive in setting up to load the latest maps to both your PC and GPS unit. In the dialog box there is an easily overlooked “Options” button where you have to click before starting the download to select both PC and Unit.

Archived