IGNORED

Olympia Airglide 3 pants

Doug_Baliko

I have an Olympia Airglide 2 jacket and just love it. I usually wear dragging jeans or Diamond Gusset's defender jeans which are both Kevlar lined. I tried on a pair of Airglide 3 pants yesterday and with the liner they are quite bulky. Just like the jacket they appear to be very well made and would obviously be more protection then I wear now. Without the liner they are OK but still slightly on the chunky side.

For those of you that have these pants what is the real world temperature range? I'm heading up to Colorado next month where it will be in the 30's in the morning and the 70's in the afternoon. Do you think that I can wear the Airglide pants without the liner but with good quality long underwear and stay warm enough for the short time it's in the 30's?

Doug

Doug......Can't help much on real cold protection but can give my opinion.....My Airglide 3 pants are new and just worn this summer...I really like them; fit, zippered legs, venting is very good, comfort....But in the 30's (ICE!!......YIKES!!!) any vented pant is still going to vent and good wind protection would be necessary under or over them, like the liner underneath or rainsuit pants over the top that block the wind....I wore levi's under mine on cool mornings in the Sierra's, at the MOA and riding down the California coast in low 50's temps.... But it wasn't cold, just cool and I had my Gerbings plugged in a few times....Suggest you take the liner AND the longies.....You can always take it off but if you don't have it you can't put it on...

At 30 degrees, you'll need the liners to provide insulation as well has wind resistence. Long ski socks are nice also for cold shins. Around here (North Carolina) I can go without the liner comfortably at about 55 degrees; damp cloudy days it may need to get a little higher. By the time it gets to 70 degrees, you'll be happy to stop and peel out of the liner. Getting out of the liner is easier than taking off your long underwear, but still not a side of the road kinda thing. Suggest using the handicap stall that has lots of hooks.

I guess if your jeans are comfortable and you promise not to have an accident, you could wear them under the unlined airglides. Either way, you'll look chunky.

---

I bought mine this spring. Rode some Colorado passes in the spring with the liners, where the temp was in the low 40s. I had no other heated gear. My legs were fine, but it convinced me I needed heated grips on my RT! Wore them with long johns and no liner in the 50's with no problem. Long johns and rain pants over them would be fine for short cold periods in the morning around here. The RT really protects your legs, so it is the rest of you gear that will really make the difference in the cold. Heated grips and/or Gerbing gloves and a good jacket will make more of a difference. I keep a ski cowl in my top case to keep my neck warm.

I usually stay pretty warm on the RT so I use the Airglide pants exclusively. I hardly ever use the liner. When I do, I just pull it over the Airglide pants. It’s a lot easier than trying to take the pants off and take out the liner when it gets warm.

If it starts raining or gets cold, just slide the liner back on. Had to do this a couple of times during the Colorado 100k Foot Ride earlier this month. It was a cinch as to how simple it was. 3 minutes on the side of the road and you’re back motoring.

I have an Olympia Airglide 2 jacket and just love it. I usually wear dragging jeans or Diamond Gusset's defender jeans which are both Kevlar lined. I tried on a pair of Airglide 3 pants yesterday and with the liner they are quite bulky. Just like the jacket they appear to be very well made and would obviously be more protection then I wear now. Without the liner they are OK but still slightly on the chunky side.

For those of you that have these pants what is the real world temperature range? I'm heading up to Colorado next month where it will be in the 30's in the morning and the 70's in the afternoon. Do you think that I can wear the Airglide pants without the liner but with good quality long underwear and stay warm enough for the short time it's in the 30's?

Doug

Almost 2 years now with my Airglide pants. The padding area around the knees is rather large and blocks off enough wind.

You'll feel the cool air more by the inside of your thighs, but nothing to fret' about..

I bought the Airglide 3 pants yesterday. After alterations of the length I'll be good to go. Thanks to all for the input.

Doug

• 1 month later...

After deciding to buy a pair of Airglide 3 pants I rode to Colorado for a week of riding. I got back about a week ago. I based myself out of Gunnison where the morning temperatures when I left the hotel were anywhere from 35-40 degrees, and the afternoon highs were in the mid 70's. Very nice. I wore the Airglide 3 pants with a pair of UnderArmour level 1 coldgear long underwear. Level one being their lightest long underwear of level 1,2, or 3. I did not use the liner that came with the pants.

While I can't say that I was totally comfortable at 35 degrees, I wasn't cold either. Once the temperature got over 40 degrees I can say that this set up was very comfortable and a lot less bulky then using Olympia's supplied liner. Overall I definitely give these pants two thumbs up. They are comfortable, protective, and are useful in a wide temperature range.

Doug

Archived