IGNORED

Mission: Impossible

DrMikey

If you have ridden over 4 hours in Rev'it Sand, Rev'it Cayenne, Firstgear Kathmandu, Klim, Aero Darien, or BMG Adventure pants, please tell me-

Does the crotch seam creep up and feel like it will slice you in half?

On my last road trip, my Carhartts nearly did.

Is venting adequate to 85F?

In the summer and early fall, temps can get really hot on asphalt.

Can you ride in the rain 30 minutes without getting a soaked crotch? 60 minutes?

Summer brings scattered showers, and stopping to don or remove rain gear every half hour kills time and cuts in to coffee stops.

Thanks!

Sorry if anyone here also frequents STN.net, but it's not drawing many responses there.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Not exactly but, maybe it'll help.

First Gear TPG pants. 30+ minutes in the rain. Dry. Several hours without getting "wishboned". I love these pants!

I don't wear them if it will be more than 75 out. I go mesh. That said, I've worn them down to 30 and warm.

I have used my Darien for all of 8 years in all riding conditions and it has been a great investment but 2 years ago I purchased an Airflow 3 suit from BMW for the hot rides because the Darien was a little on the warm side when in the saddle. I also discovered while riding with a Darien in hot temps that the correct undergarments made a big difference for comfort and you should take a look at www.ldcomfort.com and read about these products and how they can make your riding experience better.

I live in Tucson and ride frequently over 100 degrees. I either wear the BMW "summer" pants or just my Aerostich Roadcrafter pants. When I wear the stich, I wear bike shorts or similar because unlike the Darian, the Roadcrafter pants are lined so using just LD underwear or bike pants works great in the summer. My lower body does not get too hot, I concentrate on keeping my "core" body cool and that blood supply goes all over. Same thing in the winter, keep the core warm and most of your body stays warm--- hands and feet may need some help however.

I have the Rev'It Cayenne pants, and I've worn them in all weather from 30-100+, for thousands of miles. They're not waterproof without the liner (at least the year model I have). No problems with cutting me in half. The thigh vents help a little bit, but not that much on an RT. Not enough wind gets to 'em. LD Comforts for me, too.

Definite +1 on the LD shorts with 1 caveat ...

The leg bands at the hem are elasticized to keep the shorts from riding up. These bands were just too tight for me and chaffed my thighs to the point that I wouldn't wear the shorts ... they were in a drawer for months. On the eve of a three week trip, I took a pair of scissors and to my wife's dismay, hacked the elastic hems off.

I've since worn these on every long ride ... the material has not unraveled a single thread and the material has enough elasticity that they absolutely do NOT ride up. I'll probably pick up another pair in the next few weeks and I'll immediately cut off the elastic hems.

Sounds like you're wearing jeans (carharts) under riding pants?

If so, that is a big part of the problem, IMO.

Sounds like you're wearing jeans (carharts) under riding pants?

If so, that is a big part of the problem, IMO.

No, the Carhartts are my warm weather riding pants. The double front denim is a compromise, to be sure, but I don't like overheating. I wear LDRider shorts underneath. They are the only things between me and monkey butt.

OK.

Mesh w/wicking or bicycle shorts/LD riders would provide more airflow and protection, but that's just my .01.

:lurk:

Thats also my choice..... :thumbsup:

I have both FG MeshTex and BMW Summer pants and wear Wickers bicycle undies with them. Ride in 90's/100's with no discomfort at all. Ridden in them when it rained but nothing much got down there really and what did soon dried out anyway ....:) !

Archived