IGNORED

Worthy little Bike to Bike Intercom

azkaisr

41kDPl2Z2bL._SS400_.jpg

So with the Mrs. riding her own moto and not having the time to really install another Autocom unit on her F650GS, I went out and got the above system from Amazon last week. This past weekend we took them out for a nice 300 mile ride and found them to be worthy.

The pluses:

Setting them up was super simple

The Built in speakers are really quite nice

Mounting to the helmets were a snap and secured well

They can handle 2 devices so I can talk to her, listen to the IPOD, and use my phone even though I haven't tried to yet.

The voice quality is good

My favorite though is NO WIRES.

The minuses:

You can't plug in headphones to the unit

The range is about 1/2 mile. There were a few times where I got a little ahead of Laura and lost her. A COOL thing is that they do auto synch back up once you are in range again.

There is a slight pause when you speak, before the unit turns on. I found myself saying hey, waiting a second and then hearing the music shut off and going to VOX

Minor issue is that the unit can control my IPOD fine but when VOX turns on, the music isn't paused. Not a big deal but one that I think they could have worked out.

All in all, very happy, and the battery life is good. Both units came with chargers for 12V and AC plugs. There is a way you can plug in a non blue tooth MP3 player into the unit as well.

Well worth the $250.00 I spent for the units.

CoarsegoldKid
But will it work for communication between more than 2 bikes?

Probably will but will reduce one of the optional units-Ipod or Iphone.

I think BT is the way to go but someone has to figure out how to connect a FRS type radio so more range and other bikes can join in the communication.

I think another brand which name escapes me allows for an optional head set plug in. In which case AZ AL ear phones would work I think.

I have the same units, as does my neighbor. You can sync up to four headsets and you won't lose any other option. Each headset can sync to its own ipod/mp3 player, phone or gps.

We've had these for over two months and love the, of course, we only ride with each other, so no other talking is needed.

But will it work for communication between more than 2 bikes?

The short answer is sort of :-) When you set them up you can pair with up to 3 other units (so a total of 4 bikes, or more accurately 4 helmets). You can only talk to one other unit at a time, i.e. conversations are one to one, no group conversations. You can select which of the other units you want to talk to at any time by tapping the selection switch once, twice, or three times. Not perfect, but what is? We have been very happy with ours.

--Galvin

Archived