IGNORED

Yet another helmet thread

AZKomet

Ok, I have tired of my Scorpion EXO 100 helmet after 2 years. For one it is not a flip up nor is it holding up under the conditions I ride/live in. The body processes in the AZ heat has really broken down the innards and the mechanical portion of the visor is not so good.

In any case I want a new flip up and need some input.

For those who actually has a f/u helmet and can provide some suggestions I would appreciate it. I have done my research on helmets and am looking at the Shark Evoline as it has a 3 way configuration.

I tried it on at CG and it is pretty heavy........

Any ideas?

I am also looking into buying a flip up and have pretty much decided on the HJC SyMax2 based on reviews I have read.

Let me know how you make out.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

I tried on many that just didn't fit.

Shoei multitec. However, if you have a jutting chin or nose, it may not work. The front seems closer than others. Excellent head venting in the heat.

I tried on many that just didn't fit.

Shoei multitec. However, if you have a jutting chin or nose, it may not work. The front seems closer than others. Excellent head venting in the heat.

True. Generally speaking, any flip helmet with a single, centralized release point will have the mechanism for that release hidden in the chin bar. That makes the chin bar thicker than on a full-face helmet and chins do come in contact with it.

Paul Mihalka

I have a Nolan N102 which is a good flip-up helmet except for the outside dark visor which is junk. As it is getting a bit old I looked and was intrigued by the Nolan N43 "trilogy" in the USA. So I found the European Nolan N43 "air" which is the same but has a additional air vent on top, which was apparently not approved by DOT. I have one on order from http://www.fc-moto.com in Germany. Total price USD 210.00 incl. shipping. US MSRP for the trilogy is $299. The Europe price is lower than a trilogy would cost me as a dealer employee. I'll report when I get it.

Depends on the shape of yer noggin really but.... ;) !!

Both Deb and I like Nolan's and have worn various iterations of them for over 8 years now. We both have the new Nolan N103's with the built in shield, which is easy to use and really like them. The venting is very good and they are also easy to strip and clean :thumbsup:

Good venting and a removable, washable liner are important features in a hot climate. It also helps to wear a helmet liner, especially if, like me, you don't have much hair.

As mentioned, a lot depends on your head shape, but I'm guessing that if your Scorpion was comfy, you've got lots of choices. I've got a long oval head and the Shoei Multitec is the only flip-up that will fit me. I don't think it vents quite as well as my Arai Profile, but changing shields is WAY easier.

It does depend on the shape of your head. I had a Nolan flip style, and the face shield and flip mechanism became problematic. The face shield would stay open and the flip was so loose it was hard to close. I bought a Shoei Multitec. 2x the price, but 2x as good. Much higher quality moving bits and excellent ventilation. Much stronger feeling shell.

I don't doubt Dave_C but FWIW my SO and I have had our Nolan modulars for four years and we have never had any visor or latching difficulties.

I don't either, but I've found their warranty issues very easy to have sorted out.

If it was a faulty part, there is a 5 year warranty.

Prolly sold 40-50 of them w/no issues.

Komet said he wanted a convertible full face flip up, right?

That limits the options considerably and is why I linked the EXO 900.

Helmets are pretty personal, so I’m not sure what value testimonials are, but as answer I have had three flip ups (since changing from fixed full face) the HJC SyMax, Nolan 102 and HJC SyMax2. The Nolan had the most problems, had it repaired twice (which is why I ruled out the 103) and I like the SyMax2 the best. Its internal retractable sunshade rocks, and it seems to flow air a bit better than the other two.

I have had the Symax ll, I now have a Scorpion 900 and a Caberg Justissimo. If I were to have only 1 it would be the Caberg. Best fit, light, small shell (don't look quite so much like an alien) and pretty reasonably priced. I wear an XL in the others and a large (59-60 CM) in the Caberg.

Helmets are pretty personal, so I’m not sure what value testimonials are, but as answer I have had three flip ups (since changing from fixed full face) the HJC SyMax, Nolan 102 and HJC SyMax2. The Nolan had the most problems, had it repaired twice (which is why I ruled out the 103) and I like the SyMax2 the best. Its internal retractable sunshade rocks, and it seems to flow air a bit better than the other two.

Ken, I have the SyMax and really like it, to the point that I searched long and hard with no luck to find a new one just to have on hand.

When it comes time to replace it, how does it compare to the SyMax2?

I am also looking into buying a flip up and have pretty much decided on the HJC SyMax2 based on reviews I have read.

+1. Best helmet I have ever had ('course I've only had 2).

Jay

I have a Shoei Multitech and really like it. Its a very comfortable helmet. The fit is perfect for my head and the vents work very well, even in 100+ temperatures.

With regards to noise level, its the first flip up helmet I have purchased, so I'm not sure how it would compare with other flip ups.

I have had the Symax ll, I now have a Scorpion 900 and a Caberg Justissimo. If I were to have only 1 it would be the Caberg. Best fit, light, small shell (don't look quite so much like an alien) and pretty reasonably priced. I wear an XL in the others and a large (59-60 CM) in the Caberg.

Where did you get the Caberg?

Where did you get the Caberg?

I have a Caberg as well and understand they are no longer imported to the US. To get a replacement shield I had to order from a shop in the UK. You may be able to find a leftover (wouldn't know where to look), but with a Nolan 100 and 103, HJC Symax, and Caberg on the shelf, my favorite is the 103. As for the Caberg, not a bad helmet, but it seems the mechanisms (shield and chinbar) on mine are not nearly as smooth as either the Nolan or HJC. And for me the Nolan chin strap is a very big plus.

I think fit is a major factor in helmet satisfaction, and not all brands have a size for all head shapes. For example HJC makes a size that fits me very nicely, but none of the Shoei sizes feel right on my noggin. Your results will (likely) vary, but proper fit is paramount.

Jay

Dave...I have two FU's. HJC Symax is comfortable, lighter than my shoei multitec, louder than my multitec, can remove almost all of the inside for washing including the crown, poor ventilation, visor will not stay where I put it at speed, easy to change visor.

Shoe Multitec...heavier, stretched less over time, can only partially take the insides out for cleaning, has different size cheek pads you can buy if after a while you decide the pads are too tight or loose, very good ventilation (but in max vent it whistles), visor will stay in any position you place it even at speed.

Would I buy the Symax again...maybe. Multitec . Definitely. Price difference is pretty significant.

Just my .02

Based on my experience with the SyMax2, I'd recommend that you try it on before buying (like, don't buy online).

Mine hurts my head like crazy after an hour, it seems only to actually touch my head (very tightly) in a few areas. Two points on the upper back of my head, two at either side of my forehead and at the top sides of my cheekbones. The lining isn't soft either IMO.

I've worn Arai, Shoei, AGV and BMW (Schuberth) helmets and all have fitted well. The SyMax2 is just awful for me. I'd give mine to you if you lived in OZ.

Linz :)

I love my MultiTec and it sacrificed itself for me in a 65mph getoff in March.

I am wearing an old one for now as I have not replaced the D.O.A. one as yet.

My only complaint is that they do not come with a removable liner.

Even wearing a skull cap the removable liner would be a + so I am looking for another helmet that will fit my football shaped noggin.

"For those who actually has a f/u helmet and can provide some suggestions I would appreciate it. I have done my research on helmets and am looking at the Shark Evoline as it has a 3 way configuration."

Dave, I read your post to say the 3 way configuration is desirable, or a condition, for the next helmet.

Yes/No?

I've had Arrow/Jarrow (predecessor to Caberg), HJC SyMax, AGV among modern helmets.

Now the Scorpion EXO Transformer in NEON .

It may not be for you, but I love the conspicuity and features.

You can actually bend the faceshield in two without damage and there is the airpump feature to adjust fit and feel.

I won't be converting mine but it has that option.

Best wishes.

I'm with John Ferris. Schuberth all the way. Only helmet I'll wear. I'm currently in a S1 PRO. I loved my Concept. Best flip up ever.

Also, Check out the Nolan N90, newer and lighter.

Web Bike World Review of Nolan N90

I think this is my next one...

Yeah, when they come to Oz, I will definitely look at them.

Have had three versions of the BMW helmets: System 3, 4, 5. Because my head is shaped a bit like a horse (why the long face?), I find the chin mesh useless (I have broken the spring steel on four of them now). The System 5 is the best-built of the lot of them, and by far the most comfortable, but there have still been reliability issues with it. Haven't yet tried the System 6.

Ken, I have the SyMax and really like it, to the point that I searched long and hard with no luck to find a new one just to have on hand.

When it comes time to replace it, how does it compare to the SyMax2?

I found the orginal SyMax and the SyMax2 to be virutally identical as far as fit, operation, etc. The big add in the 2 is the internal retractable sun screen.

I recently tried a Shark Evoline2, based on positive Webbikeworld reviews.

Nice helmet, but wouldn't work 'cleanly' with my comms setup (Sena SMH-10)...the chinbar tilt mechanism didn't allow for mounting the headset properly.

So I sent it back to Revzilla and will probably go with the Shoei Multitec.

If you're using comms, that limits your options to some degree...I didn't feel like cutting and drilling on a brand new $400 helmet, but that's just me...

Have had three versions of the BMW helmets: System 3, 4, 5. Because my head is shaped a bit like a horse (why the long face?), I find the chin mesh useless (I have broken the spring steel on four of them now). The System 5 is the best-built of the lot of them, and by far the most comfortable, but there have still been reliability issues with it. Haven't yet tried the System 6.

Just ordered one today. $219 shipped. I'll give a review when I get it and try it out. Nolan N90S

Just ordered one today. $219 shipped. I'll give a review when I get it and try it out. Nolan N90S

Well, I canceled my order. Site said in stock and ships same day. The email I thought was going to be a shipped order notice was one telling me this is a pre order item available in mid October. Told them to update their site and cancel my order. I really like the helmet, so I guess I'll just wait awhile :P

• 1 month later...

i have had mine for a few days now.. i like it and best lid for the $$$ (5 yr warranty) buy on line though its about $50 cheaper

also the "s" model does not come with the pinlock anti-fog witch you will need.. installed I cant get mine to fog even blowing it close up!!

i like the fit, noise is "ok" (my first flip so nothing to compare it to)

internal stepless sunvisor .. awesome! venting.. awesome, style.. cool..

Archived