IGNORED

Nice Boot Choice

Albert

My wife's been looking for some new boots for a year now. She wanted something light weight and comfortable. We tried local bike shops, the local Cabellas and others without success. Earlier this week she stopped at a local shoe/boot shop that's pretty well known in the area. She wound up with a pair of these from Bates Footwear . According to their web site they provide poice, military and uniform footwear. They seem like well made boots and are very light weight. If you're having trouble finding something via the regular sources, might be worth seeing if there's a reseller in your area.

I've had 2 pairs of the mens version of that Bates boot and am pleased---for the money. ($69 at Dicks Sporting Goods) The lugs on the soles do seem to wear down relatively quick compared to some other boots I've had but 'for the money' they are great. The mesh venting works well, yet I wear mine in cold weather also. Feet never get cold.

That being said, I still haven't found my 'ideal boot' yet: 8" high, side-zip with laces, black, thick sole with lugs that is *sewn on* so that it can be re-soled. I know there are shoe repair companies that will glue any sole onto any boot but I don't want to go that route. Anyone have suggestions? (Al, sorry for the slight hijack)

Paul Mihalka

"That being said, I still haven't found my 'ideal boot' yet: 8" high, side-zip with laces, black, thick sole with lugs that is *sewn on* so that it can be re-soled. I know there are shoe repair companies that will glue any sole onto any boot but I don't want to go that route. Anyone have suggestions? (Al, sorry for the slight hijack)"

All I would like to add: waterproof

I've been using the RG brand men's version of this type of boot for about 10 years now with great results. For cold or wet, I also have the waterproof version. Both can be had for about 26 bucks from Big 5 on sale. I like the rugged lug soles because up where I live and ride there is lots of sand and gravel right where you put your foot down on the side of the road and these soles keep my feet from sliding out from underneath me. I also like the lace up for tightness then zip to put on or off. I can get them really firm with the laces, but still quick on and off with the zipper.

I likey.

I have another brand of these, but do NOT wear them on the bike. There is very little ankle padding in these types of boots, and a get off in them will provide very little protection. I have very hard to fit feet, and am able to get these to fit, but in a motorcycle boot, I have gone to a hiking boot. Lots of ankle and foot protection, in a boot that can be purchased in narrow. These have lasted about 5 years now. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0009024811047a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&No=108&Ntk=Products&QueryText=boots&sort=all&Go.y=0&N=0&Ns=DISPLAY_NAME%7C0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form23&Go.x=0

Archived