IGNORED

Russell Seat using the BMW low seat

Nesbocaj

The seat pans (which is the only part Russell uses) are the same for the low and standard stock seats, so sending in a "low seat" has no effect on the end result. You end up with a Russell Day-Long.

The seat pans (which is the only part Russell uses) are the same for the low and standard stock seats, so sending in a "low seat" has no effect on the end result. You end up with a Russell Day-Long.

Does anyone know if this is also the case with the R1150RT seats, ie. low seat pan the same as regular seat pan?

I think if want a low seat from Russell, you need to look at their "sport" seat which is made thinner and narrower than the regular Day-Long. If I were you, I'd call and/or e-mail them and tell them what your goal is.

I bought a 2009 low seat, low suspension RT and couldn't stand how uncomfortable the one-piece low seat was, so I sent it to Russell to build a Day-Long Saddle for me. What you'll get is a regular Day-Long Saddle, it will raise you up about an inch to an inch and a half. The seat pan on a low seat model has nothing to do with why it's low.......look at how little padding it has, that's why it's so low. Even though the Russell takes me an inch to an inch and a half higher, I still think it's worth the trade off in comfort.

Thanks for the answers! The low seat just has less padding, makes sense! You guys are good!

Not too worried about the 1-2" height gain, totally doable.

I had a Russell on the GS, just miles of smiles, so I joined the ADV group buy, looks like a 20% discount with build dates through nest year. The seat on the GS was TALL. (sold the GS to get the RT)

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone have a Russell made using the BMW low seat?

I just got a Russell Day long a couple months ago for my '09 RT which had the low OEM seat. I knew the new seat would be higher than stock and I didn't want to be higher on the bike so I told them I wanted them to keep it as low as possible. The actual builder guy called me and discussed it, and said due to the thickness of the side wing spring apparatus built into the seat the minimum thickness would be about an inch higher than the BMW low seat. Specifically he said the low OEM seat has 2 3/8 inches of foam thickness, and theirs would be 3 1/2 inches. Before I sent them my OEM seat I measured it so that I could compare with the new one. At the lowest point it was 3.5" from the bottom surface of the seat pan to the top surface of the vinyl. I marked the seat pan with a reference line where I measured it so that I could take an "after" measurement at the same point on the Russell seat. At that reference point the new seat measured 4.75" thick, a gain of 1.25". However, that point is not the low point on the Russell seat. The Russell seat's lowest point is 4.5" further back. At that point it measures 3 5/8" thick, which is nearly identical to the thickness at the low point of the OEM seat. However, subjectively it feels like I am about an inch higher on the bike, judging from my eye level relative to the top of the windshield. With the OEM seat and the windshield in the highest position, my eye level was just about even with the top of the windshield, and I would ride with the windshield bumped down an inch or so. With the Russell seat, to get the same "look" I leave the windshield all the way up.

In my opinion the Russell Daylong seat and backrest is a terrific product and the service was great. The backrest plugs into the rear seat and is easy to remove or adjust without tools. I find the bucket shaped seat much more comfortable than the stock seat, because it spreads your weight over your entire rear end. The only downside is because it’s wider I can’t put both feet flat on the ground like I could with the OEM low seat (I’m 6 ft 180 lb with 32” inseam). I also have a 4 yr old Russell seat on my Honda ST1300, but the BMW seat is much more comfortable. The ST seat is shaped well, but is very hard. The BMW seat is shaped well, but has more “give” to it, like they used a different foam, or more of it. It’s better.

Got a Daylong for my 2009 RT and will never look back. It does make your legs shorter but what a difference in comfort! I got used to the height change rather quickly. My brother loved it so much he is getting one for his '10 H-D Street Glide.

The low Sargent seats that we have are not built on standard BMW pan. That might be an option for you to look into.

Thank you! I have been looking for a seat that didn't require me to send mine away to other time zones for several weeks/months.

I just got off the phone with Sargent Cycle. My new seat will be here in two weeks, in time for the FL Coast 2 Coast ride to fall within the 30-day money back guarantee period. And I won't have to miss out on any riding in the mean time. Sweet! :clap:

Hollow Road Rider

OK, here's a question my wife posed to me when I said I was hesitant to get a new Russell built because of the added height --won't the added height make your center of balance higher?

The low Sargent seats that we have are not built on standard BMW pan. That might be an option for you to look into.

Thank you! I have been looking for a seat that didn't require me to send mine away to other time zones for several weeks/months.

I just got off the phone with Sargent Cycle. My new seat will be here in two weeks, in time for the FL Coast 2 Coast ride to fall within the 30-day money back guarantee period. And I won't have to miss out on any riding in the mean time. Sweet! :clap:

I'm impressed with the 30-day money-back guarantee, and a coast to coast ride should be sufficient to determine if you and the seat are copacetic.

Archived