IGNORED

common motorcycle tire sizes (diameter)

Joe Frickin' Friday

Joe Frickin' Friday

16, 17, and 18" seem to be very common diameters for road bike tires based on what I've seen.

Surely I haven't seen it all.

Are 19" and larger sizes also common among road bikes?

Many (most?) Harleys and other cruisers use either 19" or 21" front tire. Why?

--

Mikko

I think it's because the standard railroad gauge here in the US was . . . uh, oh never mind, different thing. :dopeslap:

In the mid 1970's I was lead to believe that a larger diameter front tire/wheel created less rolling resistence. It was the "cool" thing to do to add 10 inches or more to the front forks, increase the steering head angle, and install a 19 or 21 inch front tire. I don't recall who supplied me with this information. It could have been Easy Riders magazine? Maybe it was from a Peter Fonda interview. I never tested the idea, but many folks in and around my home town did. Of course their custom builts rode better than any factory scooter, just ask any of the guys that built them. The whole idea of a custom chopper kinda died for me when I got my first /6 in 1977.

--

Mikko

I think it's because the standard railroad gauge here in the US was . . . uh, oh never mind, different thing. :dopeslap:

No, no. Please continue. I think you're on to something here.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Al,

Did that have to do with the gauge of the Roman Chariot wheels? Does not apply to a Hun Motorcycle :lurk:

Nonono, that's spelled "hoon." :grin:

--

Mikko

Al,

There's not much that you say that doesn't make me spray my keyboard with coffee! Always enjoy your humour :thumbsup:

Archived