IGNORED

Yup, Heated Vest

Dave_C

My heated vest went bad and that company seems to be out of business now(I can't even remember their name). What do you recommend? Reasonable price and durable with a BMW plug.

I recommend SLEEVES. :-)

I've had both aerostich and gerbings heated stuff. Both very nice. Gerbings has a lifetime warranty on the wiring, if that interests you. They're very good about it too - they sent me a whole new jacket when one of my sleeves died.

I also argue that if I'm cold enough for a vest I want sleeves. Gerbings! Their customer service is excellent. I needed their help twice. Once was rewiring my older liner for a separate glove circuit. Second was a G3 glove repair.

I have Gerbings and Tourmaster, both of which I like, the latter more than the former. Firstgear has one too that looks pretty good. Thinner wires are getter than my older Gerbings has but I have not looked into getting it rewired. Anyone had that done? Cost?

Got rid of my Widder Vest couple of years ago. It worked but was bulky to wear and to pack.

Firstgear's is made by Warm N' Safe, another brand worth looking into. I tested both (see links above). The Tourmaster products were value priced but by far the weakest performers in the lab (vest and gloves both) though in "real life" the differences were not as dramatic (though still there). If the OP wants a sleeveless vest, the EXO2 I tested was tops by far, but is not a cheap item. It was a high quality garment, superior in every way to Tourmaster.

Tom, I'm not sure if you're referring to Gerbing's Microwire vs. the old copper-based wiring. If you are, and I can't say this officially because I never asked them, but I seriously doubt they will take an old garment and replace the wiring with Microwire for less than it costs to just buy a new Microwire. That's probably more in labor than a new garment is worth. The old copper gear still sells for about half price on some discount websites - sell your old one here in the classifieds or wherever, and buy a Microwire if you like Gerbing's. I compared old and new in my article, and it is night and day. Well worth it to upgrade. Don't forget to upgrade your controller too - EXO2 and W&S make some great ones. See links in my previous post.

-MKL

I have a Widder Vest and I am looking at getting a heated jacket. Sleeves would add some warmth. I tried on the Gerbing jacket. Looks well made and you can order it with longer sleeves.

• 1 month later...

O.K., your advice was no Balogna! I just got my this vest. It is very nice. It fits very well. It has elastic waist and longer cut back. And you fill the thing up with air like the autopilot in the movie "Airplane" (but it's on the chest) for a perfect fit + air insulation. The cord is not bulky and plugs into the power outlet. It seems very high quality. Thanks to everyone for all the input!

Archived