IGNORED

Broken 'red tab" on top case

marked23

What can I do about replacing the red tab that locks the handle on my top case? It broke off today and now my case is forever unlocked without it.

The whole handle/lock mechanism appears to be riveted in place. Is this part replaceable? Where can I go to get the part, and replacement rivets?

skinny_tom (aka boney)

I share your pain. They can be fixed if you don't mind getting in there and meddling with it all.

The lock mechanism is sold as a complete piece. I've tried soliciting people here who have been replacing old broken latches with intact red tabs without success.

I'm about to start soliciting dealers for broken latches.

If you find two, let me know. I'll do the same for you.

Per an older post on this topic, motorworks.co.uk sells a pannier lock repair kit (that's suppose to be the same as the top box) for about $40, the part number is LUA54337 and it includes the rivets. Looks like they ship to the US.

Gregg

I have seen the same part that Gregg mentioned listed under the part number 71607654337. So if your dealer doesn't know one part number, try the other.

Here's the listing that Gregg mentioned.

http://www.motorworks.co.uk/bmw/products/product.php?f=b&bke=bmw&q=LUA54337&x=30&y=7

Also, you can google for 71607654337 to see others that stock the same part... presuming it is the same part.

I haven't been able to nail down if this part is also used on the top case. But I haven't seen anything similar for the top case, so I'm hoping this is it.

I did go ahead and drill out the rivets and remove the whole handle mechanism. It's ... it's... Well you can tell it's German. Downright complicated... When you see it, you'll know why they charge $200 for it.

Once you get the mechanism out, you still have to drill out two more rivets holding the tumbler mechanism in place.

When I put this all back together, I'm going to try to use screws. I'll take pictures and see if I can share them here.

"I haven't been able to nail down if this part is also used on the top case. But I haven't seen anything similar for the top case, so I'm hoping this is it."

I can confirm the pannier lock mechanism kit from Motorworks.co.uk (p/no.LUA54337) does fit the 33litre top box.

I used one to repair the broken tab on the topbox on my R1150RS (same box as the 1100/1150RT).

It's not that hard to fit. You need a small drill of about 3mm to remove the rivets, a small drift to push out a couple of pins and a blind riveting tool. All the parts you need to fit are in the kit.

Archived