IGNORED

Synchronize Throttle Bodies

Kilowatt Kid

I synced the TBs tonight with the TM and a pair of matched vacuum gauges. I found that both were just as accurate. The TM is easier (IMHO) to use on the road. However, the zero knob is a real PITFA. It would be nice if it was smaller or had more resistance so it didn't get bumped so easily. Because of this, the vacuum gauges are easier to use. I am using 1/8" SS tubing as 'nipples'. I thought the restriction would be enough to snub the gauges,, but it wasn't. I may end up putting 1/16" SS tubing between the 1/4" and 1/8" sections. I could also have an orifice machined and pressed into the the 1/4" (AN) -> 1/8" (swage) adapter.

I cleaned off the BBAS and replaced the orings. One of the orings had a nice gash in it.

For the most part, the needle stayed on zero, but there are a few spots in the 5K range that the needle pulled slightly to one side. Up at 6K, it was centered again. I'm not sure what causes this, but the bike seems to run smoother. This is my 3rd sync on this bike.

I figured I'd get asked that question. I adjusted them about 5K ago to the nominal spec. I also adjusted the throttle cable last time as well.

Since I only have 1K on this oil change, I wasn't going to do the valve adjust this time.

If you need more than a half turn difference, consider removing the BBS on both sides and cleaning both screws and the bore with carb cleaner. The air passage cokes up rather easily with carbon. Last winter, my left was at 1.5 turns; right at .5 turn. After cleaning, virtually identical settings.

And you may need to fish a small, solid core wire (with insulation on) down the hole at the end of the port to clear it if it is totally plugged (mine was).

Will give cleaning a shot this afternoon

Other problem is I couldnt get the .006 volts. I could only get .007 volts.

which is typical. Don't try to force lower or you might break the TPS.

regards,

Ian

Yep, I am no expert on the 1100 but the lower voltage range is in the order of 0.370 - 0.400 volts at idle to a smooth increase with throttle to 4.77 volts at about 1/3 throttle opening.

(to quote Rob Lentini). So mikenh you are a factor of a decade out.

Andy

Archived