IGNORED

cleaning forks

mig

Hey guys and gals:

Well just under a week with MY new R1200RT, a 2007 model. Anyway was looking at the front forks and they have some light discolor- pitting on the surface. Was wondering how to clean this off. Scotch brite pad? grinder ( just kidding) any help would be great. love this bike. thought I would never lean as much as I have on my ST1100 cuz of the cyclinders but Ive blitzed pretty deep.

Thanks

Miguel

It depends on whether it's actual pitting from corrosion or pitting from particle impacts. Any pitting on the surface could be a worry and you'll need to take a lot of care in removing it. The forks are high-speed surface-ground and you need to preserve the integrity of the finish.

I would start by finding the finest grade waterproof abrasive paper I could find. Go even finer than 1200 if possible.

Cut the paper into straps about 3/4" wide and apply some oil to the paper or forks. Work with the paper wrapped around the forks by holding each end of the paper and pulling alternately with the left and right.

Keep the pressure on the paper extremely light. Do not rub the paper up and down the forks and do not use your fingers to rub the paper onto the surface. Gently does it and continually wipe the surface clean as you work.

I had some marks on my F650GS forks which I was able to remove with this method. After more than a year, the marks have not returned.

Archived