IGNORED

Its hot back here!

madnance

Has anyone tried adding vents to a stock BMW windshield on an 1150RT? I want some more air back here!

I normally use a Cee Bailey #2 windshield because its nice and quiet but in summer its too hot! So I have put the stock OEM windshield back, but still dont get enought air across the chest. Would like to hear if others have had success cutting some holes in it.

On my RS, I've got a large Aeroflow screen. I've added some 1/2" shims behind the screen, and switched to longer bolts. This allows some air flow under and behind the windscreen. It helps with the noise too, but I'm thinking about going to a 3/4" shim. As the bolts aren't parallel, it takes some widening of the mounting holes in the screen.

maybe that'd work with the RT screen?

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Same issue, even with mesh gear when it's hot.

I pretend I'm on a GS and stand up on the pegs every once in awhile. Not on the freeway though.

Talon hiway pegs help keep the legs a small bit cooler also.

I'd much rather just cut down the stock screen than cut holes in it. The few cut down stock screens I've seen looked pretty cool. Besides more airflow, the other big benefit is a quiet ride with your head in clean air.

I've cut down a couple myself and got good results by using masking tape on both sides of the screen to prevent splintering. Cut with a sabre saw, sand or file the edge before removing the tape. That's it!

You mean even with the shield lowered all the way you don't get enough air movement? Or is it that you have a clean air space amd don't want to change it?

I'd look in the adverts and find a couple bunged windshields and experiment on the cheap. Then paint them black and pretend stealth.

I now what you mean though. The 25 CalSci is too dang hot in the summer but great in the cold rainy winter.

Yea, even with the stock windshield all the way down I don't get much air on my chest. A strong blast about shoulder and higher is welcome but stronger than ideal at freeway speed.

I experimented yesterday with taking the shield off completely. What a fantastic ride under about 60 mph. I loved it for an hour on back road. I swear it accelerated a bit quicker as well. There is even a quiet space for the helmet if you sit tall. But then I got on the freeway and got knocked around pretty good getting back home!

I have often thought of trying to direct the air between the inside of the shield and the instrument cluster top to come out more horizontal so it hits the chest. A spacer like suggested here with a deflector might do a good job. Anyone try something like this?

I did get a good deal on a Cee Bailey #4 (summer sportshield) but haven't gotten it yet. Anyone out there tried one?

skinny_tom (aka boney)

I cut some pretty generous holes in my stock screen. It's a pleasure to ride behind when it's really hot. The buffeting is down significantly too, but it is far far noisier.

I am tall and ride with the seat in the high position, so I never achieve quietness behind the screen anyway. This screen though... wow, I can never ride without earplugs at virtually any speed.

Markgoodrich I didn't see anything on Baker Airwing's site but did send them an email suggesting that a deflector for the 1150RT would be super. Will post if they give me a response.

Madnance

When I had my Road King, I would use the stock windshield for the long trips TO our destination and then take it off for the local day trips whever we where and leave it at the camp site or hotel or whatever.

What a pleasure it was to ride on the back roads and even occasional highways without a screen, it transformed the feeling of the whole bike. However, I wouldn't want to travel without it on the long hauls.

Jerry Johnston

I used to own a K75rt that had wings on the side of the windshield that were adj. Maybe what Mark suggested could be added to the windshield?

I get what you mean. On those days of 90+ degrees there's just no gettin' cool. The heat from the oil cooler adds to the problem.

I ride my GS on very hot days.

Archived