IGNORED

Midrange helmet recommendations

OlGeezer

Unfortunately, I'm in need of a new motorcycle helmet. I recently replaced my older Arai with an HJC flip up. It's a nice helmet and the drop down sunscreen is nice. Unfortunately, I had a soft drop and now the face shield doesn't completely close. I know, you get what you pay for, but I was not entirely happy with my Arai. It had as much wind noise as any other helmet I've worn, plus the little plastic and rubber trim pieces didn't last (and are not replaceable). Money is tight these days, so I need to watch every nickel.

Any ideas/suggestions?

I'm a get-whatever-fits-right-and-try-not-to-look-at-the-price-tag kind of guy. My last time around on that program, I came Home with a Shoei. I'm still pleased as punch.

A guy like you is gonna spend a lot of time rattling around inside that thing. Save some money elsewhere.

We like Nolan's but, as others have said, get one that fits yr noggin. You could always go try one on locally then shop around ;) !

The N103 has a built in visor, easily washable liner plus they do have great customer service here in the U.S. :thumbsup:

I've been very pleased with the Shark which converts very easily from full face while riding.

Also has enternal sun shade available

They are in stock at Irv Seaver BMW in Orange

We'll see you next month at the Coffee Klatch with one.

MCN this month has a modular comparison.

Scorpion 900 EXO Transformer tied for 1st.

HJC Sy-Max good marks and Nolan too.

I've had the Sy-Max and now the Scorpion.

No complaints.

Fit is foremost.

If the helmet don't fit

you must no git

no matter how low the price is.

I have switched over from Arai to Scorpion. Each model fits a bit different. I like the 1000, if you don't need a flip up or comm gear installed. The new 900 fit well in a one up size, and seems pretty good (I do not own this). I wear a 400 most of the time, as the 700 had a slightly different shape.

+1

Get one that fits. Your head is worth whatever it costs. My Shoei is not cheap, but it was the only one that fit my melon properly.

I don't have a problem with fit. I've worn an Arai, a Shoei, a Nolan and now an HJC. After 16-18 hours in the saddle, even the Arai developed a "hot spot". Short of that, they were all similar in comfort (to me).

I would just like to find a reasonably priced, durable flip up helmet that will last a little while.

I found a local close-out/discounter shop, MotoX that had top of the line helmets for about half. The way I found them was searching on ebay for a helmet. Perhaps you can find a similar shop near you.

Personally, I agree with those who say fit is important. So, I was actually able to try on the helmet before making a "no returns on close outs" type of purchase, and get a good price, and that was important to me.

I like the SHARP rating system, and wanted a 5* helmet. I found that AGV and Shark keep (with the exception of the AGV Miglia) the same model and naming conventions on both sides of the pond. So was interested in one of those since the SHARP ratings directly apply. I think SHARP proves once and for all that those who say price = protection are wrong. YMMV.

So I ended up with a Shark RSR2 for about $250, with a nice paint job. RSX's for under $200 if you like. These are a few years on the shelf, but I verified that this makes no difference to performance or helmet life, based on several manufacturer websites and web forums. I think the Sharks are very well built, but I don't like the weight of their modulars.

I also found that the Motorcycle Superstore is good to work with. I wanted to try one of the inexpensive AGVs. Ordered one from MS, and had no problem at all with the return. Cost me about $7 total for that experience. Very satisfied with their service.

So, my personal advice is to:

1. Make sure you can try it on first, or have an easy return policy (not exchange, not limited to just a different size of the same thing).

2. Wear at least 30 minutes before making a decision. Do not try on several helmets in the same session. If all possible, try on twice before deciding.

3. If at all possible, make a short test ride. I returned the AGV S4 for wind noise, although it was a very comfy helmet.

4. Choose a SHARP 5* helmet.

1. Make sure you can try it on first, or have an easy return policy (not exchange, not limited to just a different size of the same thing).

2. Wear at least 30 minutes before making a decision. Do not try on several helmets in the same session. If all possible, try on twice before deciding.

3. If at all possible, make a short test ride. I returned the AGV S4 for wind noise, although it was a very comfy helmet.

Good info. In your points, items 1 through 3 are related to fit, which I agree, but I've never had a problem. I guess I have the "typical" head (on the outside - it's messed up on the inside).

Also, relative to the rating system, there are no modulars with 5 starts (that I can get, anyway) and only Nolans have 4 stars.

Good info. In your points, items 1 through 3 are related to fit, which I agree, but I've never had a problem. I guess I have the "typical" head (on the outside - it's messed up on the inside).

Also, relative to the rating system, there are no modulars with 5 starts (that I can get, anyway) and only Nolans have 4 stars.

Helmets do fit quite variably. I went to web bike world and printed out the shapes and weights (shapes are on the weight page). Then tried several helmets from each shape type to see where I was in that range. I was amazed at how different they fit. WBW Helmet Weights and Shapes Chart.

#3 is not related to fit so much as wind noise on your bike and with you riding/wearing. Also maybe if it seems to catch the wind or buffets, whatever, any surprises that come up in actual use on your actual bike with you actually wearing it.

You didn't say you were definitely wanting to stick with a modular, sorry I misunderstood. However, the Shark Evoline also rates 4* as does the Schuberth C2. The Shark is available (though heavy, and clunky), and I believe the Schuberth is coming.

But you are correct, the Caberg Trip and the BMW System 5 were the only 5* modulars and neither are available any more. Nor did they bear a US DOT sticker any time recently.

#3 is not related to fit so much as wind noise on your bike and with you riding/wearing. Also maybe if it seems to catch the wind or buffets, whatever, any surprises that come up in actual use on your actual bike with you actually wearing it.

Right. Unfortunately, where I have shopped, most stores do not let you take the helmet out for a spin. I wear plugs anyway, so wind noise is not high on my list of important features.

You didn't say you were definitely wanting to stick with a modular, sorry I misunderstood.

Sorry I wasn't clearer, but I thought I mentioned the features I liked including the flip up and internal dark visor. Maybe those words stayed in my head and didn't actually reach my fingers.

However, the Shark Evoline also rates 4* as does the Schuberth C2. The Shark is available (though heavy, and clunky), and I believe the Schuberth is coming.

I've discounted the Shark because of so many "clunky" comments and the Shuberth makes me claustrophobic. It sounds like I'm narrowing down to either the Nolan or Scorpion.

I think where you buy from is very important. The counter guy must be very knowledgeable about helmets.

I did a lot of online searching before I bought my last helmet and became much more informed about them. I found a shop with a counter guy that knew what the hell they were talking about when it came to helmets. I tried on a few and he finally pulled down an Arai and he said that's the one. I was quite skeptical as I had never had a helmet that didn't give me a hot spot. I put it on and it felt ok, but I wasn't about to buy it that day as I still had some misgivings. I came back a couple of days later and plunked down the dough, and I have to say he was right. After a several hour ride no hot spot whatsoever. I was one happy rider.

Another question, and a slight diversion. I was out at BMW of Atlanta this morning, and saw that they had a Nolan N102 at clearance pricing. The N103 is the current model, and they have changed the shape. In the same nominal size, the older N102 feels better on my head.

My question is one that has been asked before: as a closeout, the N102 must be at least 1 or 2 years old, possibly older. Do you believe there is an acceptable "shelf life" for unused helmets, and if so, what would be an acceptable "sell by" date?

My question is one that has been asked before: as a closeout, the N102 must be at least 1 or 2 years old, possibly older. Do you believe there is an acceptable "shelf life" for unused helmets, and if so, what would be an acceptable "sell by" date?

Great question.

:lurk:

I came back a couple of days later and plunked down the dough, and I have to say he was right. After a several hour ride no hot spot whatsoever. I was one happy rider.

I know what you are saying, but I don't think I'll ever buy another Arai and probably not another Shoei. I've owned both. I think the problem I have is that my expectations go up too high when I buy a $500 helmet. If I find a $250 helmet that does what I want, is reasonably comfortable and is durable, I think I will be happy.

Another question, and a slight diversion. I was out at BMW of Atlanta this morning, and saw that they had a Nolan N102 at clearance pricing. The N103 is the current model, and they have changed the shape. In the same nominal size, the older N102 feels better on my head.

I would not worry about the shelf life, but then I'm not the worrying kind.

My current helmet is a Nolan N102. I have it now for three years and 100K miles. I guess I like it. Some comments: The outside flip-down sun screen is junk, I took it off. I have a clear shield with the fog shield insert, it is standard. I also have a dark shield. Changing shields is a bit of a hassle until you've done it a few times.

I have on order from Germany a "Nolan N43 Air" helmet. Should be here any day. I'll report when I have it.

If I find a $250 helmet that does what I want, is reasonably comfortable and is durable, I think I will be happy.

Me too. Trouble is that the helmets on the lower end of the cost scale appear to not make their helmets to fit my head. If someone knows of a more inexpensive helmet than the Arai that will fit oval heads please let us know.

I came back a couple of days later and plunked down the dough, and I have to say he was right. After a several hour ride no hot spot whatsoever. I was one happy rider.

I know what you are saying, but I don't think I'll ever buy another Arai and probably not another Shoei. I've owned both. I think the problem I have is that my expectations go up too high when I buy a $500 helmet. If I find a $250 helmet that does what I want, is reasonably comfortable and is durable, I think I will be happy.

I got a Scorpion EXO 1000 Apollo earlier this summer and I love it. Motorcycle Superstore and Bike Bandit have been advertising them for around $289.

Not affiliated, just satisfied with the product.

I believe Arai now makes helmets for oval noggins. At least that is what my delear told me.

I just bought a HJC SyMax II from my dealer based on reviews I have read thru this site. I bought a large because I already have several HJC "large" helmets as well as trying on a IS Max at the dealer. Well when it came in, it was tight as hell, just like the reviews cautioned. So they sent it back and I got a XL. Fits perfect, but the latching of the chin bar is less than ideal and the windshield does not close fully without a second hand pulling down the right side the last 1/2". I called the dealer and they said they will send it back for a new one. Let's hope this one is better, because it fits and feels really good.

I would not worry about the shelf life, but then I'm not the worrying kind.

My current helmet is a Nolan N102. I have it now for three years and 100K miles. I guess I like it. Some comments: The outside flip-down sun screen is junk, I took it off. I have a clear shield with the fog shield insert, it is standard. I also have a dark shield. Changing shields is a bit of a hassle until you've done it a few times.

I have on order from Germany a "Nolan N43 Air" helmet. Should be here any day. I'll report when I have it.

Paul, I think you just saved me a trip to BMW of Atlanta tomorrow. After watching a video review on

, I am very intrigued. Can't wait for your ride report, and I hope you bring your new helmet to BRR next month. For some time, Nolan has struck me as one of the most innovative helmet manufacturers, and the N43 Air seems to be the freshest thinking I have seen.

My only concern is the retractable sun shield which, unlike the crappy design on the N102 (like you, I tossed mine, and use a dark shield most of the time), is integral and can't easily be "fixed". Is a smoke main shield an option?

I had the same situation with Nolan. The 102 fit me much better than the 103. I bought a 103 one size bigger than my 102 and had to sell it. It gave me pounding headaches after about 45 minutes. I personally wouldn't buy an older 102. My understanding is that what contributes to a helmets 5 year shelf life is the degradation of the foam that is crucial to slowing down your brain.

After trying on every helmet I could find I ended up with a Vemar jiano which I find very comfortable. The only problem with it is that if it is below 60 degrees or so my head actually gets cold. I recently bought a Scorpion exo 900 which I also like and is now my cold weather helmet.

Bill

07RT

09KLR

My take is that, like a "new" bike or anything else that is as yet unused though not the most recent, until it is actually used, it is new.

How quickly your helmet wears out is probably more a function of how much you use it and how well you take care of it. That being said, I think there is a "shelf life". If I recall correctly, aren't the ANSI ratings updated every 5 years? That might be a useable guide if nothing else.

Well, I went out to BMW of Atlanta Friday morning, and found they had plastered "Sale" stickers on the helmets -- with prices $5 higher than on Wednesday. That annoyed me enough to go to an online site that turned out to be $40 cheaper for the same helmet.

Well, I went out to BMW of Atlanta Friday morning, and found they had plastered "Sale" stickers on the helmets -- with prices $5 higher than on Wednesday. That annoyed me enough to go to an online site that turned out to be $40 cheaper for the same helmet.

Did you buy it?

In my current, safety conscious frame of mind, I decided that it was time to upgrade. My primary helmet (which I was wearing when I ran into the ditch in March) is 4 years old; my backup helmet is 6 years old, and was rebuilt with the chinbar from its predecessor after a deer collision; both Nolan N100E.

So, here is a mini-review of the N102 compared with the N100E, which was my previous favorite helmet. Shape seems a little more oval than the N100E, and nominal sizing has changed; for me, Medium N100E corresponds to a Small in the N102. Visors are interchangeable, so I just swapped the dark visor from the old helmet with the two-piece system from the new. I considered adding the sun shade to the dark visor, but that was like riding at night. The central chinbar latch is much easier to operate than the old side ones. The shape of the outer shell has changed, seems to buffet less, and is marginally quieter (or less noisy) than the N100E. The back of the helmet is slightly flatter, which makes it easier to attach things like reflective stickers. Venting is also marginally better, but it's much easier to open/close the top vent with a gloved hand. Overall, the N102 is an incremental refinement of the N100 design; the N103 seems like a more radical change, and I wasn't sure I could live with the internal sunshade mechanism.

I ended up going to Competition Accessories, which is having a Nolan N102 closeout sale. $212 (including shipping) strikes me as a pretty good deal. I ordered Monday, and the helmet arrived (from the distributor) on Thursday. Considering that the N102 is a discontinued model, they seem to have a good selection of sizes and colors. If you have a "Nolan" head, it's definitely worth checking out.

I ended up ordering a Nolan N43. I wear a FF HJC when it's cool enough, and an AC-3 OF with goggles the rest of the time. I decided it was time to replace my aged, somewhat smelly AC-3, and decided to try something new. I liked the occasional chin-bar on the Nolan, the sun shade and the flip up face shield. My old goggles were getting to be a PITA, so I figure I can use my regular glasses with the Nolan. I also got a J&M headset installed in the Nolan as I use a J&M system.

"....I would not worry about the shelf life, but then I'm not the worrying kind....."

As long as it was not sitting on a counter somewhere where customers could try it on, etc, and perhaps occasionally drop it! :P

I think an older, unused, fresh in the box helmet is fine.

i didnt read all of the post so this may have been covered...but ALL helmets, should be replaced after any knock to the ground..

This may sound extreme, but it is your life you are playing with..helemets are DESIGNED to be consumable...the inner styrofoam is made to crush as it absorbs the energy your head is applying to it when the helmet impacts the ground and it doesnt take much to begin this process...

always replace a bucket if it hits anything with your head in it.

i didnt read all of the post so this may have been covered...but ALL helmets, should be replaced after any knock to the ground..

This may sound extreme, but it is your life you are playing with..helemets are DESIGNED to be consumable...the inner styrofoam is made to crush as it absorbs the energy your head is applying to it when the helmet impacts the ground and it doesnt take much to begin this process...

always replace a bucket if it hits anything with your head in it.

What do you mean by knock? Mine fell off of the seat and rolled a bit along the pavement. On one hand, I know I should replace it. On the other hand, it's an Arai Quantum II and, having one kid in private college now studying in France and another plotting a spring wedding, I blanch at the thought of $500 out of pocket.

Paul Mihalka

I think the key is "with your head in it". If a helmet falls down empty, it gets scratched but the inside is not affected.

Paul is correct, it is the compressing of the styrofoam from you head in it when it hits the ground...and im not talking about rolling over in bed type of bumps...but if you have to shake you head when you get up to clear your head, you hit hard enough to need a new helmet.

if the scratch is just in the paint, a drop of the helmet is nothing to worry about...but if the scratch is into the polycarbonate or the carbon fiber then you still may want to consider a new one...the shell and the inner foam work together to absorb impact....

i hope this helps...cheap insurance really...a helmet just needs to be DOT/snell or the new euro standard to be safe...brand and style is not important...just rating and FIT is very important

I think the key is "with your head in it". If a helmet falls down empty, it gets scratched but the inside is not affected.

Luckily, I remembered to take my head out of the helmet before it fell off of my seat.

Paul Mihalka

Well, last week I received my Nolan N43 Air from Germany, and used it this weekend. Comments, mostly comparing to my Nolan N102 flip-up:

Plus: Much lighter. Much more quiet. Superb range of vision - with the helmet on I see the top of the shield where I put a strip of duct tape against low sun, for the rest I can't see any piece of the helmet. Not on the sides, not even the low chin bar. I did not need ventilation, but I tried it and felt the air moving through. Changing face shields is quick and easy.

Minus: The flip-down sun shield is OK for occasional use but is a bit short and does not replace a full dark visor. The face shield has no intermediate steps. It is either fully up or fully down.

First, thanks to OlGeezer for starting this thread. My new this season Shoei TZR (replaces my old HJC LT12)is somewhat problematic as I'm experiencing what I believe is called "booming". Even with ear plugs I still get considerable rumble.

I recently replaced the stock windshield with a 17.5" Cee Bailey and while there's an improvement I still want to reduce / eliminate this noise. If I raise the visor full open the booming stops, even if I lower the windshield a couple inches. Ergo, I'm looking for a quieter helmet. In the meantime I'll continue to experiment with different ear plugs while I explore quieter helmets.

Paul M, I thought the advantage of a Nolan or any flip helmet was for improved ability to be heard while conversing with other riders. Does the chin bar in the European N43 Air or U.S.'s closest equivalent the Trilogy not reintroduce this disadvantage?

Paul Mihalka

The N43 with the face shield up feels almost as open as a open flip-up. Also people who see you almost see your full face.

I REALLY like my new NOLAN N90 (new model) Very comfortable,

ALL features, Internal stepless sun shield, modular, NO FOGGING!! using the INCLUDED pinlock lens, fairly quiet, ready for radio electronics, locks open.

*5 year Warranty!!!* under $300 (dealer) on line about 250- 280

heres a review..

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/nolan-n90/

why spend the extra $$$ if you dont need to?

(note) I have had a VERY hard time finding info/ reviews on this helmet) but my local dealer recomended it. for my slight oval head shape.

only thing i dont care for is the ratchet buckle style chinstrap.

its not comfy on my big adams apple ( im skinny)

good luck!! searching is a daunting process

Archived