IGNORED

BMW Dealer gone but may be replaced soon?

Kannon

South west Virginia lost a good BMW motorcycle dealer, Hammersley Motors in Lynchburg, VA was also known to many of you from all parts of the country because of their web parts business. A sad loss that caused me to cancle the order on a new K 1300-S and buy a Concours instead (not real happy with the Connie, but thats another story). I have bought many new bikes from Hammersley and many, many parts for my old airheads from them over the years.

I am told by a somewhat reliable source that there is soon to be a BMW and Triumph MC dealer opening in Roanoke, VA. Does anyone know anything about this? Location? Opening date? I sure hope it's true - I'll dump the Kawasaki for a K 1300S in a heartbeat.

I am told by a somewhat reliable source that there is soon to be a BMW and Triumph MC dealer opening in Roanoke, VA. Does anyone know anything about this? Location? Opening date?

Paging Big-T, Big-T to the courtesy phone please. :lurk:

I am told by a somewhat reliable source that there is soon to be a BMW and Triumph MC dealer opening in Roanoke, VA. Does anyone know anything about this? Location? Opening date? I sure hope it's true - I'll dump the Kawasaki for a K 1300S in a heartbeat.

I heard this directly from Jason at Hammersely (now Crossroads). I just visited both BMW and Triumph (liking the Sprint ST/GT models) and nothing shows up in the Roanoke area, yet. I am hoping it is soon I think it is kinda unsmart to open a MC shop in the winter.

I heard this directly from Jason at Hammersely (now Crossroads).

So is Crossroads a BMW dealer and are they in the same spot? I want to update my GPS dealer files. FYI Post Falls Idaho is no longer a dealer, I went there this July just as they were dropping their BMW line, and they could not be happier.

Not really sure what you are asking.

Crossroads bought Hammersely and are in the same spot (but haven't spens any money on new signage). The person who sold to Crossroads was a bike enthusiast and was very pleased to have one of the very few BMW dealerships in NA that sold both bikes and cars (like Europe where almost every BMW dealership sells both). But like I said he sold out to crossroads. Crossroads had no management who had interest in motorcycling and BMW NA had wanted the dealership moved to Roanoke nearer the BRP and I81 for a long time(which due to the truck traffic is a horrible MC road). Crossroads had a Volvo (I think) dealership literally right at the intersection of rt 220 and the BRP. They had an idea to put the BMW MC dealership there but Volvo did not want BMW MC's in the same building as their cars. BMW NA was also none to pleased at crossroads mail order parts biz. End the end it got too complicated and costly for Crossroads to keep the dealership. they started to talk about selling to the guy opening a Triumph dealership in Roanoke but those talks broke down. Apparently Crossroads wanted more money then he was willing to pay. since he had started negotiations with Crossroads he could not go to BMW NA until AFTER Crossroads had shut down the MC dealership. There is some hope that Triumph guy may offer the same mail order deal that Hammersely started and Crossroads killed.

Crossroads in Lynchburg also sells Volvos, Mercedes, Lincoln and maybe something else. BMW really needs to get a better business model. This crap of keeping dealerships so far apart has to stop. Its not like loosing a Ford dealership there is always another around the corner. I realize the BMW MCs sales are not like car sales but maybe if they had a few more dealers they would sell more bikes. Hear that BMW NA :dopeslap:

I sent the guys at Hammersley an E thanking them for their great service. Used them for years and have nothing but good things to say about them. A sad loss :cry:

The expense of floor planning bikes and showroom is an issue for many wanting to open a dealership.

They could consider service only dealerships, for undeserved areas, that have BMW authorized warranty work and BMW parts but do not stock bikes. At least that way if we break down on the road, 5 hours from a dealer they may be better chance of getting help locally.

Rod

Problem is a conflict of interest. A shop makes good money on repairs and parts, so a repair/parts place would be doable. OTOH BMW Corporation makes money on new bike sales, and a repair/parts shop would take business away from full service dealers, who can't survive on bike sales only. Generally a dealer makes money for corporate on bike sales and money for themselves on service/parts/accessories. You can't have one without the other.

Seems many of the old dealers are being forced out by BMW corporate. Gotta have the fancy, by the book, show room. YAdda, Yadda. One of these days BMW will have one showroom per state or make that region and will want the purchasers to be pre-approved before considering an appointment to inspect their application.

Corporate meddling and politics have pretty well decided for me that my current BMW 800ST will be the last BMW I buy.

Good as it is, there are just as nice if different bikes out there at a far less dear cost.

It is their business to do with as they see fit. From what I've read BMW is actually increasing sales where HD and the big 4 Japanese companies are still in double digit decline.

It is sad to lose a favorite dealer with whom you have developed a good relationship. However, I think the economy has more to do with the closings than a requirements to have a nice shiny white building and carrying required inventory etc.

I was at a Former Triumph dealer today buying parts for my Toro lawn mower. I found out from them that Triumph corp seems to be doing a lot of what BMW corp is doing. One of the reasons they got out of Triumph was because corporate wanted them to have a separate show room for the bikes. At least we don't have to worry about bailing out BMW or Triumph, Harley on the other hand.....

Archived