IGNORED

HJC AC-3 or Shoei Plantinum open face helmet?

Deek

My 3/4 coverage, summer helmet is an HJC model AC-3. I have had three of these in the last 10 years or so. I like the 3/4 coverage helmets with a visor; I don't care for the face-shied on most open face helmets. Recently I dropped my 3 yr old AC-3 on the concrete roadway; but luckily I was not in it! That drop really scraped off a lot of (white) paint, and I think I want to replace it just to be sure the drop didn't cause some non-visible damage.

I use J&M helmet speakers in my AC-3 helmet. They fit well into the AC-3, and in general I have no complaints with the AC-3, although more ventilation would be welcome. This time, however, I'm thinking of trying a Shoei model RJ Platinum helmet, which looks very similar to the AC-3, and does have also have a visor. But it costs twice what the AC-3 does....but it is not beyond my price range.

My research indicates the Shoei has some nice feature, but I cannot determine if there is room in it for helmet speakers. Does anyone here us that Shoei model with helmet speakers? Or can verify there is room in the helmet for them?

Thanks.

They all can have room for speakers. The shoei's I have used would work well. Your best bet is go to your local mcyce shop and try them on- fit is most important, then examine if you can make your speakers work in them.

They all can have room for speakers. The shoei's I have used would work well. Your best bet is go to your local mcyce shop and try them on- fit is most important, then examine if you can make your speakers work in them.

Thanks for your experience with the Shoie. In the past I've been pretty disappointed trying to find the brands and models I want for a "test wear". Mainly all I see are Fulmers, HJCs and a K-something brand. So I will probably have to order on the internet, try it on, then return if the fit isn't good.

The fit is the key...

My wife and I both have AC3's and while shopping for the the 3/4 helmet I found a very wide variance in the way different brands fit my head.

The HJC just felt "right" immediately. Shoei also was comfy but not the same... just my head and my $0.02.

Quick update from the OP. I ordered a Nolan N43 Trilogy. Change from what I've used in the past, but it has a few features I find attractive so I'll give it a try. I'm ordering a size Medium as that's what their sizing chart indicates.

Hopefully I will remember to again update this thread in case anyone finds themselves with similar helmet questions. BTW, I ordered the N43 from Sierra. The N43 will have a J&M headset pre-installed, which saves me from moving my old headset from the old AC-3 to the N43. Sierra is a good company, I have used them in the past a bit.

Archived