IGNORED

Affordable boots

DaveBass

Hey frugal riders, here is a hot tip on warm weather riding boots. Check out the Response Gear "Side Zip II" on sale at Big 5 for....$27! They are vented, sturdy, comfortable, and quick on and off.

Words to the wise: The 11 titanium screws and 2 plates in my right foot probably wouldn't be there if I had been wearing my Aerostich boots rather than Alpinestars summer boots earlier this year. Boots and gloves are no place to cut corners on cost.

Nice n Easy Rider
Words to the wise: The 11 titanium screws and 2 plates in my right foot probably wouldn't be there if I had been wearing my Aerostich boots rather than Alpinestars summer boots earlier this year. Boots and gloves are no place to cut corners on cost.

Selden, some people wear their bling on the outside - you just happen to wear yours on the inside. Continue to heal well. :grin:

BMW all around boots.

Fairly waterproof

Cheaper than some others

One of the few boots that can be had that are wide enough for those that wear E width.

No offense Dave, but I wouldn't shop brain surgeons either. :)

Excellent protection is what I look for in a boot. When I find it, I try to find it at the best price offered.

:wave:

I saw a review in the latest BMW ON for Held's new boot. Forget the name but the $200 price looked reasonable if the quality is there. Not sure what I'll go to after my Oxtar (TCS now) Maxtrix are worn out. The soles are almost gone now, sniff. I'm thinking I'd like the safety of an exoskeleton system but I also like to walk around on a ride. Maybe the BMW Touring boots (but $300, ouch).

I wrote a review of BMW's Allrounds for MCN a month ago after I logged my 30,000th mile on them - not published yet. For the price, they're great. Very solid, and I expect them to last a full 100,000 miles, like my Sidis did before I finally retired them. The Sidis are more expensive, more luxurious, and offer more shin protection, but the BMWs are well put together and comfortable in their own right. I cannot see how BMW charges so much more for their other boots, which really don't offer anything significant for the extra dough.

As was previously mentioned, I too don't skimp on gear. Too many horror stories from fellow riders who were wearing non-MC gear when they encountered the unexpected. Dress for the crash - save money somewhere else.

-MKL

I wrote a review of BMW's Allrounds ... the BMWs are well put together and comfortable in their own right... -MKL

My 3-year old Rev'It boots, that I really like a lot for their fit, are finally biting the dust and I am considering a new pair. Your post caught my eye.

One thing that I am looking for is that the calf is fairly narrow. I am avoiding boots made for very thick-legged riders, because then my riding pants hang up on them - as opposed to the pant legs sliding up and down as I am bending/straightening the knee.

Would you recall it these boots have big/small diameter at the calf?

Thanks in advance.

Wow, 2 scoldings! I guess if I hadn't used the cheaper brain surgeon.....

Hey, these are fairly inexpensive, but surprisingly solid (steel shank, full grain leather bla bla). I commute 50 miles a day on L.A. freeways, and hike 3/4 mile from the employee lot to my work location. I need something cool, sturdy, "walkable", and not $300. I thought these were a good find, and so do my riding co-workers that grabbed a pair.

If anyone has any actual experience with these boots, please weigh in. ;)

http://big5sportinggoods.shoplocal.com/big5/Default.aspx?action=browsepagedetail&storeid=2503823&rapid=993151&listingid=-2085961195&pretailerid=-98565

Thanks.

I considered these boots (at least the generic type of tactical boot) at one time, but was concerned that the nylon uppers provide very little ankle protection. Far better than the flip flops that I see Atlanta scooter riders using, but I'm newly sensitized to the protection issue. $27 is a great price for this type of boot; I just don't feel they offer adequate protection.

For another bargain, I picked up some great 100% merino wool boot socks at an Ace hardware store this week. They are very thick and cushy. I don't know if they were specific to this store, or are available in others, but it's something worth looking for. $3.99 a pair beats the heck out of the $20 a pair that REI asks for wool hiking socks. I don't know if they will hold up as well as well, but at this price, I can buy 6 pair for the price of one pair of BMW-labeled boot socks.

Robert-

I'm a small guy with thin calves myself, and the Allrounds fit find. There is a zipper and very large velcro area for adjustment of fit - you will not have an issue.

-MKL

To each there own, but I agree these Wal-Mart'ish tactical boots should probably not be confused with MC boots (for safety purposes). Similar to wearing a barely-legal half-helmet. Best socks I've found are the Sidi's at Motorcycle Superstore $16 anatomical fit with silver thread and stand-up to repeated washings (unlike Sok's).

I saw a review in the latest BMW ON for Held's new boot. Forget the name but the $200 price looked reasonable if the quality is there. Not sure what I'll go to after my Oxtar (TCS now) Maxtrix are worn out. The soles are almost gone now, sniff. I'm thinking I'd like the safety of an exoskeleton system but I also like to walk around on a ride. Maybe the BMW Touring boots (but $300, ouch).

Contact Jim O'Brien at Irv Seaver's.

Archived