IGNORED

Motolight bulb...one side burns out...

markgoodrich

You most certainly have a misaligned electron macroscopic flux capacitance injector.

I recommend that you get your dilithium crystals bump charged and then convert their regulator/rectifier to the newest nano parse plutonium zerk fitting upgrade. I think this would be version XP39.

For more information on this, call THIS guy. He can help.

marvin_the_martian_jackets.jpg

Check your connections to be sure they are tight. A loose one could cause this. Check your mounting for the same as a loose condition somewhere could cause this as well.

Hope this helps. If not Marvin should be able to. :)

I was going to say what Tallman said. Switch the known good bulb to the other side and see what happens. If it quickly expires I'd suspect wires. If the problem switchs sides I'd suspect your bulb supply.

\

Be sure the bulb is seated properly. Keep in mind I've never changed a bulb in my Motolights and don't know what is really inside the housing. But I will throw my 2 cents worth anyway. . .

I would think there is something that holds the bulb solid, but with some give. The give would be needed to soak up vibrations and thermal expansion. I can see cases for high failure with the bulb held too tight or loose.

As others said, check the contacts at the back of the housing. The should have a firm grip to make a good connection. A loose contact could also cause bulb failure.

Do you have 35W or 50W bulbs? 50W run hotter, so maybe you have differences in thermal connections.

Phil, of course, is full of it, but the rest, you have good suggestions.

I spoke with the main Motolight installer today. He suspects the lead from the housing to the connector. They're sending me a replacement.

Bulbs are definitely burning out. No continuity. 12 volts at the insertion.

Bulbs ARE "cushioned" by Motolight via the expedient of a little silicon sealer between the bulb and the insertion thingie, and a silicon gasket around the outer rim of the bulb. I do the same when I replace them.

I use 50 watt Ushio bulbs, rated at 4000 hours (Motolight's replacements are generic Chinese bulbs with unknown life). Wattage is not an issue, per the installer, regarding heat.

No moisture in the housing.

They're nice folks. Maybe the new lead will resolve it. Easy fix, as they make the system modular.

malcolmblalock

The Motolight people are first-rate. Tina has helped me with lots of little problems over the years. I've had a problem in the past with the "socket" (the part the bulb plugs into) disintegrating. Before it completely fell apart, I had blown bulbs, too. They ended up replacing the housings, lenses, and both leads (along with bulbs) to get them right.

Regardless of the problem, I believe they will help locate it and will provide whatever is needed at no cost to you.

Archived