IGNORED

Rear lighting questions: 2004 R1150RT-P

Mark Roberts

Mark Roberts

I recently purchased an 04 R1150RT-P from the local BMW dealer. Dealer had removed the cop rear lic bracket that holds the two round blue lights, lic plate, and two 3 x 5 strobes. I purchased the bracket from the dealer, and it is the exact one they removed prior to sale. I've reinstalled the bracket, but it is missing the two round lights and strobes. It does have a Whelen 500 led below the lic, with a harness in the rear, but no apparent place to plug it in to. The Whelen p/n is 01-0683557BRO B. The harness has a BMW p/n 99 99 0 004 893. The harness also splits into two for connecting to the round blue lights.

I've searched and read some posts about Whelen led lights, and that they are programmable.

Does anybody know what the LED cable should plug into?

Can I just splice it into the existing brake lights?

Is my Whelen programmable? If so, how to program?

I found these for possible replacements for the round blue LEO lights:

http://vehiclelight.com/kp56r.html (2.5" round red starburst)

Can these be spliced into the existing brake or turn signals?

I've already spliced the add on yellow bubble side turn signal lights into the rear turn signals and that seems to be working fine - don't know if adding more lights to this circuit will cause problems or not.

Any suggestions for the 3 x 5 cutouts where the strobes were?

I was thinking about these:

http://vehiclelight.com/sqmcr1.html or http://vehiclelight.com/sqmca1.html

but am not sure again of best way to connect them.

Any and all advice welcome - thanks!

The strobes, I believe are a much higher voltage than 12V.

I do not think you can use the lead for anything else.

The computer that runs all is under the floor of the radio box behind your seat. As I recall it does not have the means to program. Probably needs to connect to a computer......

BMWmotorcycle.net is the source for all RTP info.

Mark Roberts

It makes sense what you say about a computer under the radio deck. There is a large empty space there, with quite a few connections for something.

I don't actually have the strobes, since both they and the blue lights would cause problems with the LEO. I didn't bother purchasing them from the dealer, just the metal bracket. The only light I kept was the Whelen brake light beneath the license. That is why i was looking at the 12v led arrays I mentioned in my 1st post, and the red round starburst lights. I just don't know if I can splice into the existing circuit or not.

TechDirector

Howdy,

Sounds like your bike originally had strobes installed. 2004 was the cutoff year between strobes and LEDs. Strobes are powered of a power supply - what you call the "computer". This is controlled by the switch on the right side controls and has a harness that runs out to the lightheads. My RTP had a Whelen brand unit. The BMW "parts" are generally available commercially. You cannot power the strobes without the power supply.

LEDs are run off standard 12v and do not need a power supply, just a switch. DO NOT plug them into the strobe harness! LEDs are nice in that they pull much fewer amps than strobes and don't require the power supply. I converted my bike over to LEDs. You program them by applying 12v positive or negative (depends on brand) to the third wire - as you apply it it changes the flash pattern. You can also link the LED heads with another wire to sync them. LED heads can retrofit the older strobe heads - the 500 series are the rectangular ones on the back and are available in LED and strobe.

Chuck

If you want owners manuals I suggest you download some of the PDF manuals from the manufacturers - there is good info there.

Mark Roberts

Thanks, Chuck. I had just decided to give it a go and try to wire the rectangular led unit into the brake/running lights, when I thought I would check to see if any more replies. The more I think about it, the more it seems like there shouldn't be any problems.

Archived